Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stats publishing on web  (Read 1108 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Stats publishing on web
« on: December 11, 2018, 05:31:39 AM »

I wonder if I could publish the modem and dsl line stats of all my lines on the web? Like jelv has done.

The right way to do it would be to get some local monitoring server going on the LAN and then get a web server set up to publish the stats.

No luck getting a local server up and running though.

The wrong way to do it would be to get the stats from AA’s clueless, but would have the advantage that I could get CQM data which is very very valuable. It would be hard on clueless unless I was careful. Also, if I were to repeatedly ask clueless to fetch dsl status info via BT’s system then that would be very unkind to AA as it would upset BT if done too often, and get AA and me locked out by BT as well, since BT limis the number of queries per time interval x. So I would definitely want to check such a plan with AA.

The time resolution of the latter might be a bit low? Does that matter though?

Getting SNR, speeds and attn via BT is the expensive bit, but I could get rate changes and downs/ups at low cost from clueless. Or I could take a look at CHAOS, AA’s proper API, and see how much info is available there, but the documentation for that does not seem very complete and I am too stupid.

Actually, a local server could be made from a spare iPhone or iPad. I have my older iPad but don’t really want to dedicate that to the job of monitoring. I have an old iPhone which would do though. This is a daft idea though, because these machines would just go to sleep unless some trick could be used to keep them awake. It’s just that a large part of the code is already written - the bit to query the modems is already written for the iPad, thanks to Kitz user Johnson.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Stats publishing on web
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 09:41:57 AM »

All I am using is DSLstats to FTP the files to the webserver running on the hosting provided by d2d4j (see https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18530.msg385674.html#msg385674) along with the viewing routines provided by Kitz (https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21237.0.html) and Broadstairs (https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21488.0.html).
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 10:18:35 AM »

A very nice result

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 10:19:24 AM »

yeah i was about to say, surely DSLStats is all you need, and why wouldn't you already know that??

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 11:21:40 AM »

If you can get four instances of DSLstats running you would be able to upload to different directories for each modem.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530