Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: G.fast showing as Amber  (Read 12819 times)

V_R

• Reg Member
Re: G.fast showing as Amber
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2018, 09:09:16 AM »

@burakkucat, Thanks for the link, interesting read. :)

I was wondering the same thing Spudgun, would at least be another option for the moment anyway.
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2018, 01:14:12 PM »

Was the DSL-AC88U locked down stat wise before? I seem to recall reading that here. Good to know though!

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2018, 01:41:43 PM »

I believe you may need to use debug firmware for Telnet access, or did at one point.

No idea now as Asus closed their community forums that had all the DSL modems on them.

Don't suppose you know if the BT Smart Hub X can have its config edited so that you can connect to an ISP that isn't BT do you as the Openreach engineer that did my G.Fast install left me one even though I'm on Zen? I've never even thought of opening the box, but it might be worth it to see basic stats such as sync and snrm?

I'm also assuming it has the same broadcom chipset as the MT992 and Asus DSL AC88U?

It's almost identical to the BT Smart Hub/HH6 which only allowed certain ISP's to use it to connect.

Not sure if the smart hub x is the same.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 01:44:55 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2018, 02:34:35 PM »

No idea now as Asus closed their community forums that had all the DSL modems on them.

That's handy then isn't it  :lol:

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2018, 03:24:04 PM »

http://whatsyourrouter.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=6

handy for now, but 2 days ago

Hi j0hn

As you may have noted when you last visited ‘WhatsYourRouter.com’ – I have decided to close WhatsYourRouter.com and have created a brand-new Forum ‘UKTechHub.com’ which meets with the recent GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and as such, I am unable to automatically transfer existing accounts across to this new Forum easily.

WhatsYourRouter.com will be closed on the 1st November, but will be available for a few days after that for viewing only, no new posts will be allowed.

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2018, 05:29:17 PM »

At least he is doing something.

For whatever reason Asus closed the VIP forums without notification/reason.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2018, 09:06:26 AM »

Choices are practically nil.

The Asus DSL-AC88U - full Broadcom stats and some elements work with DslStats.

BT Smart Hub X - limited stats provided by its WebUI.

Huawei MT992 - no stats

There may be other models, but none I've seen mentioned in use in UK on G.Fast.

add to that with..

Comtrend GFR-9511U
&
Technicolor DGA2231

Both of which are the only MCT approved G.Fast modems (published at least).

https://uno.help/knowledge-base/article/openreach-approved-vdsl-modems

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2018, 01:28:34 PM »

I've decided to cancel the upgrade for now.

For several reasons, loss of stats unless I buy a new router, increased cost etc, but mostly I'm already half way though a contract with Zen and I don't want to start a new one at the moment. I shall wait until this is up and see what other offers are out there.

Also as a side note, Zen keep telling me it shows as amber due to capacity, and it just so happens that a slot became available just as I put my order in.... yet no one else between me and the cab are showing as amber and I'm sure they're wrong.  Hmmm.

Thanks for all the info as you guys helped me make up my mind.  :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 01:32:29 PM by V_R »
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2018, 05:03:11 PM »

I've decided to cancel the upgrade for now.
Toss it over my way if you don't want it. :D

For several reasons, loss of stats unless I buy a new router, increased cost etc, but mostly I'm already half way though a contract with Zen and I don't want to start a new one at the moment. I shall wait until this is up and see what other offers are out there.
I wouldn't have thought the loss of stats would have been an absolute deal breaker, but I see it's not your only reason (and to be honest, there probably won't be many budget options for G.fast modems that have statistics access for the foreseeable future). I can definitely see it being a problem if your line underperforms and you want to be more able to rule out problems, be able to "scientifically" prove something.

The pricing for 160/30 isn't actually too bad at Zen; at first glance their monthly pricing for Ultrafast is better than BT's non-discounted price, Freeola and certainly AAISP. TalkTalk and, quite surprisingly, IDNET are cheaper. ISPs can't be directly compared in some instances as you probably know, since some offer specific discounts, products and perks that may or not be important, and there may be charges associated with activation, migration and cessation of services (and contract lengths may be a factor). Furthermore, Freeola and AAISP have a different type of line rental; the former has "silent line" where you can make calls to free numbers and emergency services and be able to receive calls, while AAISP has does not have either inbound or outbound at all - worth noting if landline calling is important.

Also as a side note, Zen keep telling me it shows as amber due to capacity, and it just so happens that a slot became available just as I put my order in.... yet no one else between me and the cab are showing as amber and I'm sure they're wrong.  Hmmm.
I would like to say that perhaps they have misunderstood the meaning of the Amber status. As I believe we have established in this topic, it is more likely down to there being uncertainty of what the line can support.

One thing I will say is that G.fast pods only currently support up to 48 subscribers. I do not know how popular G.fast is as a service and whether it is usual for pods to be at max capacity. But there is perhaps a slim chance that your pod may be full when you come to look for a G.fast product at the end of your current contract.

Sorry for the long post. :-[
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2020, 02:20:14 AM »

Updated:

I come across on this thread and for anyones wondering what does Amber mean on G.fast?

Re: Gfast - Amber availability see link here: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Gfast-Amber-availability/td-p/1922889

Hi Everyone,

I've emailed the G Fast product manager in BT Wholesale to see if I can get an explanation for this result, when I hear back I'll let you all know the outcome.

Cheers

Neil

Re: Gfast - Amber availability

Hi Everyone,

To clarify the amber result simply means that Openreach are recommending that the G.Fast install is done by an engineer rather than the self install option that is being trialled by them at the moment, it won't prevent you from ordering and doesn't indicate any issues with the line.

I hope that clears things up?

Cheers

Neil

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything