Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: G.fast showing as Amber  (Read 12823 times)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: G.fast showing as Amber
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2018, 01:11:10 PM »

No! It's a router not a modem/router, you can only get stats from the modem.

Actually, the DSL-AC88U contains a modem, *and*, is G.Fast compatible :)
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2018, 02:19:20 PM »

Good morning everyone, thought I would add some detail here as I had Zen G.Fast installed last week.

I was Zen's first g.fast customer and the regrade got really messed up and took a few days to sort out and become active which resulted in me losing service.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure who told you that you were Zen's 1st G.Fast customer but if you only had it installed last week I can assure you 110% you weren't their 1st.

I was using a Zen G.Fast line over a month ago.

edit: to add

Correct.  My daughter is with Zen and has a FRITZ!Box 3490 for the router used with an MT992 supplied by Openreach.

If I recall correct kitz daughter has had G.Fast considerably longer than a month, with Zen.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:21:57 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2018, 02:25:52 PM »

I believe the MT992 only has a single Ethernet port, and there aren't even any headers on the board to solder one on.

Why would we need headers to solder an additional Ethernet port?

Adding a 2nd Ethernet port would be entirely unnecessary and a huge amount of work.

Serial headers would be all that would be needed.
At first glance they can't be spotted but they are likely there.

With the Huawei HG612 the 2nd port was used to easily unlock the device.
It isn't needed for stats collection, that can be done on port 1.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:27:59 PM by j0hn »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2018, 02:43:51 PM »

Why would we need headers to solder an additional Ethernet port?

Adding a 2nd Ethernet port would be entirely unnecessary and a huge amount of work.

Serial headers would be all that would be needed.
At first glance they can't be spotted but they are likely there.

With the Huawei HG612 the 2nd port was used to easily unlock the device.
It isn't needed for stats collection, that can be done on port 1.

Well yes, this is very true.

What there seems to be a lack of, is spare MT992's to have a go at.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 03:08:27 PM »

My saved search on eBay has had 0 triggers in over 6 months.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 06:57:39 PM »

If I recall correct kitz daughter has had G.Fast considerably longer than a month, with Zen.

@Spudgun

Yup since end of May.   They were on one of the listed trial exchanges and the order was first placed end Feb/beginning March.   
There was a delay with installation due to waiting on a new host link for Zen to be installed to take g.fast connections ... rather than use Zen existing GEA cablelinks for FTTC & LLU.   What that means is that Zen is using BTw backhaul for g.fast rather than their own network, but they still needed to purchase a host link at their Manchester PoP to connect up to the BTw backhaul.   

13ms rather than the 8-9 that they were before,
but I am now routed differently from the exchange on g.fast

Out of curiosity where are you located?  I wonder if you are going via the Manchester PoP or if they have installed a new hostlink in London yet. 

My daughter is in the NW, so going via Manchester PoP didn't cause them any additional delay.    DLM intervened at one point which did affect latency, but that's another story.
If you are in the South and they are routing you via Manchester then that could explain some of the additional latency.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2018, 09:45:07 PM »

@Spudgun

Yup since end of May.   They were on one of the listed trial exchanges and the order was first placed end Feb/beginning March.   
There was a delay with installation due to waiting on a new host link for Zen to be installed to take g.fast connections ... rather than use Zen existing GEA cablelinks for FTTC & LLU.   What that means is that Zen is using BTw backhaul for g.fast rather than their own network, but they still needed to purchase a host link at their Manchester PoP to connect up to the BTw backhaul.   

Out of curiosity where are you located?  I wonder if you are going via the Manchester PoP or if they have installed a new hostlink in London yet. 

My daughter is in the NW, so going via Manchester PoP didn't cause them any additional delay.    DLM intervened at one point which did affect latency, but that's another story.
If you are in the South and they are routing you via Manchester then that could explain some of the additional latency.

The info about being first came from Zen themselves, with them only selling the product from their website from 17th September (e.g. see https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/09/isp-zen-internet-launch-300mbps-g-fast-uk-home-broadband-service.html), so I guess I might be their first 'retail' customer who purchased a regrade of their Zen FTTC to g.Fast through the website rather than any special trial users, but anyway, that is a minor irrelevance to all of this.

I  can confirm that I am in the south of the UK and my traffic used to roughly follow a path along the m4 towards London - but now I am routed North to Manchester and then back South to London.

Hopefully this is something that they might address in the future as more users join the service and more links get added to Zen's network

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2018, 10:01:55 PM »

I would think they will.  They've always had both Manchester and London PoPs.   
As g.fast is a relatively new product for them, they may not yet have sufficient live customers to justify host links at dual locations.   With them being based in Rochdale and (most) of their trialists were in that area, then it would have made sense to put their first link in at Manchester.

>>> with them only selling the product from their website from 17th September

Probably :)  They had info about their trial on their blog, but that link has now vanished.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2018, 11:20:36 PM »

I would like to see more traffic shortcutting routes where feasible, rather than going all the way down to London and then all the way back. I just can’t see it making financial sense though.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2018, 11:54:50 PM »

Geography is quite irrelevant. The UK is a pretty small country, the vast majority of the traffic is generated within 250 miles of London and delays minimal.

To go into more detail would drag the thread way off topic but it's tricky and expensive to keep traffic local, and virtually impossible when using someone else's transport network as they decide the path your customer's traffic takes to get to your network where you have control.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2018, 05:15:12 PM »

Just thought I'd let you guys know, install day is the 24th.

I'm considering a new router so I can at least see the basic stats. So any options would be welcome. Ta.
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »

Choices are practically nil.

The Asus DSL-AC88U - full Broadcom stats and some elements work with DslStats.

BT Smart Hub X - limited stats provided by its WebUI.

Huawei MT992 - no stats

There may be other models, but none I've seen mentioned in use in UK on G.Fast.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 10:07:05 PM »

So to me anyway the only option there is the Asus. Which isn't a bad thing as I'm a big Asus fan. As I have the AC-86U and before that the N66U. Both with Merlin FW. Shame the DSL models don't work with Merlin FW though.

Have you seem any reports of anyone actually using the Asus on a G.fast connection?

This guy has t on BT, needed a FW update to get it working, but he seems happy.
https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/BT-Ultrafast-2-and-ASUS-DSL-AC88U/td-p/1859519
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:09:41 PM by V_R »
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2018, 10:14:09 PM »

Have you seem any reports of anyone actually using the Asus on a G.fast connection?

Browni is using an ASUS DSL-AC88U with his G.Fast (ITU-T G.9700/9701) circuit.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2018, 08:48:42 AM »

Choices are practically nil.

The Asus DSL-AC88U - full Broadcom stats and some elements work with DslStats.

BT Smart Hub X - limited stats provided by its WebUI.

Huawei MT992 - no stats

There may be other models, but none I've seen mentioned in use in UK on G.Fast.

Don't suppose you know if the BT Smart Hub X can have its config edited so that you can connect to an ISP that isn't BT do you as the Openreach engineer that did my G.Fast install left me one even though I'm on Zen? I've never even thought of opening the box, but it might be worth it to see basic stats such as sync and snrm?

I'm also assuming it has the same broadcom chipset as the MT992 and Asus DSL AC88U?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4