Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: G.fast showing as Amber  (Read 12828 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: G.fast showing as Amber
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 10:30:08 PM »

The whole Amber thing reminds me of the RAG test. :D Though this is going back to ADSL now. :)
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 01:33:21 AM »

What I think is that someone needs to do something about how wide those estimations are, to me an estimate with such a large coverage area is not much of an estimate.

Its not too far off from someone ordering FTTC and having an estimate of between 20 and 80mbit/sec.

I probably wouldnt order that g.fast service personally.

BTw estimate range from 97 to 189, with a potential fault threshold of just 88
Upload estimate from 7.9 to 26, thats about 1/3 of the maximum ideal frequency as the range of the estimate way too much.

The range of the estimates need to go down not just so they more meaningful but also to increase standards.  So for me the handback threshold should no longer be a thing, the low estimate is the min expected working service and the min should be no more than say 20% lower than the max.  There also should be no impacted, just a clean estimate.

It will either mean lower estimates so less disappointments on activation's and same level of speed faults, or same estimates, but network having to be kept to a higher standard so those estimates can be pulled off, I know I sound overly strict but I just dont like how wide the ranges have got.  This has probably happened because ofcom keep restricting openreach's revenue and in return openreach are having to provide this kind of service.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 10:44:50 AM »

I would be put off by the chance of drastically lower upload speeds.  If I was upgrading to a faster product I would expect it to be faster not 50% slower!  I probably won't need to worry as I am on the boundary of gfast distance and if btor has reduced rollout the chance of it coming to my area is very low/non-existant anyway.

I missed this last night, I'm not sure on the exact length of the line but this is the route it takes to my property.

Would you guys say I'd be ok with G.fast or should I stick with FTTC?

FWIW, the white road is all underground and not via poles.

Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 01:13:40 PM »

260m is within range of the current G.Fast spec OpenReach is using, though it is nearing its limits.

You may end up with an upload nearer 30Mb at the top end.
You would be at the very bottom of the estimates to get 10Mb upload. Your downstream may be too low if you are hitting the bottom estimates though.
More likely the upload will be somewhere nearer the middle though falling between 15-25Mb.

Do you upload much? Many people don't. Some would bite your hand off for double download with a slight reduction in upload.
Others would rather have higher upload, it depends on your usage.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 01:49:17 PM »

For between 170-185Mb (according to the estimates) I'd be going for it, if it were me.

I'm 600m from my cabinet so no G.Fast for me (at this juncture, I am unsure why I taunt myself with checking the DSL site every so often, I know I won't be able to take advantage!)

Roll on 2025... lol.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 04:57:16 PM »

Would you guys say I'd be ok with G.fast or should I stick with FTTC?
I'd say jump to it if you want it and/or believe it will benefit you. As I essentially said before, I would probably expect sync speeds to be around max. 200/30 Mbps (DS/US). Anything above is a bonus, seeing 10% less would be unfortunate.

There's a thread here where someone has a line which is around the same length as yours and has upgraded to G.fast, perhaps a bit shorter in terms of the reported loss. It's not as simple as I would like it to be, but it should be near the speeds of that line.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 06:04:20 PM »

Well she said she passed on the info to the provisioning team for investigation, about the same time I got a email from Zen, the auto generated kind, saying my install date is the 24th.

Lets see what happens. I shall keep you posted.

I'll really miss DSL stats though, that's my biggest issue.
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 06:28:58 PM »

If you care about DSLstats and can't live without it, then you could invest in a Asus DSL-AC88U (modem-router combo). G.fast compatible modem, works with DSLstats. A little pricey selling new for over £200. Might be able to pick one up for a bit cheaper if it's open box.

Some people would say it's too soon to invest in G.fast hardware in case of further amendments but it's a risk you take. It's using the same Broadcom CPU as the MT992 as far as I know so any later changes should not negatively impact the DSL-AC88U without also impacting the MT992.

Anyway, :fingers: for your install.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 07:12:06 PM »

Previously the Asus DSL-AC88U required debug versions of firmware to get telnet access for DslStats. No idea if they changed their stance on this but worth bearing in mind if not.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 10:19:56 PM »

Hmmm, I'll see how it goes, Really liking my RT-AC86U for the minute.

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »

Good morning everyone, thought I would add some detail here as I had Zen G.Fast installed last week.

I was Zen's first g.fast customer and the regrade got really messed up and took a few days to sort out and become active which resulted in me losing service. However, Zen's customer support was amazing and they provided me with a LTE hotspot and all sorts as they acknowledged that this was all new to them and needed some figuring out.

Anyway, at install the Openreach engineer measured my line length at 340m from the cabinet (I reckon the straight line distance is about 250) and I am seeing speed tests of 200 down and 27 up (as opposed to my old 80/20 on FTTC). Again, when the Openreach engineer ran his sync test at install he was getting 240 down on a 3db snr profile - so I'm guessing that I am currently on a 6db one and I may get a little more at some point (sorry, I forgot to ask about upstream).

Sadly, with a MT992 + Asus AC68U I have no access to stats and the Zen customer portal hasn't been updated yet so that it can show g.fast stats, so I have no way of knowing for sure and I wonder if the Asus DSL-AC88U has sync rates, snr information etc. that is available from the GUI you can get to by logging in to the router?

Interestingly, pings to bbc.co.uk are now 13ms rather than the 8-9 that they were before, but I am now routed differently from the exchange on g.fast (which was one of the major problems with my install).

Please ask if you have any questions as I will be happy to share more detail of my experiences.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 09:09:18 AM »

Hey Spudgun,

Cheers for taking the time to reply, an interesting read. I'd imagine my line length is not far off yours, as you see from the pic below, its down the road and round the corner, about 260m on foot, add to that the obvious extra length I'd bet I'm somewhere in the 300-350m range? 400m max I would think (read: hope!)

The missing stats thing is my biggest issue, the geek in me likes to see whats going on. Guess DSL Stats has well and truly spoilt me. I take it you can't even log into the MT992 with a second ethernet cable like with the HG612 then? Will have to do some research. Worst case I'll get a new router, but I've had the 86U less than a year and it is a cracking bit of kit with the Merlin FW running on it.

If anyone knows of a good G.Fast router let me know. :)

Regarding the install, did you need a new faceplate or anything else like that? I've got a 5C mk4 or whatever they're calling it at the moment, was installed in April so I would imagine that wouldn't need changing.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 09:11:10 AM »

I believe the MT992 only has a single Ethernet port, and there aren't even any headers on the board to solder one on.

Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2018, 11:04:05 AM »

I believe the MT992 only has a single Ethernet port, and there aren't even any headers on the board to solder one on.

That is correct, there is only one ethernet port on the MT992.

That Asus modem/router gets some pretty bum reviews on Amazon and other sources for stability - so i'm not tempted at the moment, but maybe there will be some other options available as g.fast becomes more available.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2018, 12:59:24 PM »

Sadly, with a MT992 + Asus AC68U I have no access to stats and the Zen customer portal hasn't been updated yet so that it can show g.fast stats, so I have no way of knowing for sure and I wonder if the Asus DSL-AC88U has sync rates, snr information etc. that is available from the GUI you can get to by logging in to the router?

No! It's a router not a modem/router, you can only get stats from the modem.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4