Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: OR and mobile networks - services for disabled users  (Read 1562 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
OR and mobile networks - services for disabled users
« on: October 13, 2018, 01:43:14 AM »

I pay extra money for Openreach’s ‘enhanced care’ maintenance, to give me priority fault repair - as I have mentioned before, also in another thread today.

I was wondering if OR (or EE and Three for that matter) have anything special anyway for disabled users who rely desperately on communications to be able to get help?

Some utility companies do such a thing - the electricity board has me on a database, so they talk to me about outages, and I think they might even have mentioned the possibility of a generator if things are really bad. [I already have one, but as mentioned before, it is a nightmare as it is too difficult to start and my wife cannot pull the damned thing with her bad hands, so we need to swap it for a modern push-button start one. Mentioned this some while ago.]

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Re: OR and mobile networks - services for disabled users
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 02:20:18 AM »

I recently heard a Vodaphone advert for Moo call. A wireless system that lets a farmer know a calf is about to be born. Might be worth looking at Vodaphone see what hardware/software they offer for the disabled. I am not sure how Moo call works but it must be more than just a Vet sending a text alert I would have thought.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 03:38:20 AM »

I need to search the Apple iOS App Store because I don’t have the tools to write such an app myself. But I don’t even know where to begin with such a search - randomly guessing keywords and hoping apps have the right thing in their titles.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 05:51:54 PM »

I am sure we have a member who writes "apps" for Apple devices. Unfortunately I can't remember who it is . . . other than he (I'm certain of the gender) is a prominent, long standing member. My memory is not working too well, today.  :-[
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 06:14:09 PM »

I am one who writes iOS Apps, there may be others.

Regarding search facilities, App publishers are allowed to include a limited number of keywords with each App, that will result in search hits on the App Store.   These keywords are in addition to the App’s name, developer name, etc.

I write my own Apps on old-fashioned Objective C.   That is partly because (my excuse) I like to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of the CPU, and partly because (the reality) I am just old fashioned.   The SDK is easy to master, but you must have a Macintosh PC, which I think Weaver does not have access to.

There also exist Web Apps, which I have pretty much ignored because my limited brain capacity is still brimming full of traditional technology, leaving no space for new fangled ideas.   Web Apps might be worth exploring, though I’d not be the one to advise.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 06:37:13 PM »

Thank you for identifying yourself. How could I forget 7LM:-[   :-[
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 07:28:06 PM »

I pay extra money for Openreach’s ‘enhanced care’ maintenance, to give me priority fault repair - as I have mentioned before, also in another thread today.

I was wondering if OR (or EE and Three for that matter) have anything special anyway for disabled users who rely desperately on communications to be able to get help?

Have a look at:

https://ee.co.uk/our-company/corporate-responsibility/sharing-connectivity/digital-living/digital-for-all
http://www.three.co.uk/accessibility
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/accessibility-services/

Like with utility companies, you can normally register your status with them and they will deal with OR/their other suppliers
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:40:56 PM by gt94sss2 »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 09:19:31 PM »

Weaver,

Your original post, my reply and something else you have recently posted in another thread namely:

I have had one of my lines set to Openreach ‘enhanced care’ by my ISP, which costs extra money (lots) every month. This is suppose to give you priority fault repair and a shorter maximum call-out time.

made me realise that a) I hadn't answered your post as fully as I could have and b) I had wondered for a while why you were having to pay for 'Enhanced Care' with A&A but had not followed it up.

Now, its been a while since I looked at telecom's regulations but:

1. All regulated telecom's providers have to comply with Ofcom's General Conditions of Entitlement

2. As part of this, C5 Measures to meet the needs of vulnerable consumers and end-users with disabilities (page 43-46) lists the assistance such firms need to offer customers such as yourself. From my previous post, you will have seen how EE, 3 etc. comply with this requirement.

-3. Having had a very quick look at A&A's website, I can't see where they detail what assistance they provide to 'vulnerable consumers and end-users with disabilities' which firms are required to do in accordance with General Conditions 5.2-5.3, 5.6 etc. (though its possible I have missed it?)

4. As for paying for 'enhanced care' - it would be interesting how this complies with the following condition:

Priority fault repair

C5.11 Regulated Providers must provide a priority Fault Repair Service as swiftly as practicable to any End-User of their Fixed-line Telecommunications Service with a disability who has a genuine need for an urgent repair. Charges for a priority Fault Repair Service must not exceed the Regulated Provider’s standard charge for a Fault Repair Service

Certainly, with other providers (e.g. BT) you would get it for free once they know you're vulnerable 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:30:53 PM by gt94sss2 »

anything