Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: strange going's on  (Read 4531 times)

noddy

• Reg Member
strange going's on
« on: October 09, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »

Think something must be going on at my exchange disconnected this morning and came back at more or less same SRN but slightly higher sync , but the up side SRN doubled and went from 19db to 6db also noticed in telenet it states ADSL2 which has never been available before + the the IP profile has gone up immediately . The other thing I've noticed my downstream never has shown any CRC's or swaps unless it was a complete disconnect and now is showing variations and errors ?   
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:20:25 AM by noddy »

re0

• Reg Member
Re: strange going's on
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 06:03:52 PM »

I think we need to see the full stats, preferably both before and after for comparisons sake otherwise it's going to be pure assumption on what has actually changed. If there is confusion to where those stats are, just post here and someone will be able to help. :) I can see you are using DSLstats so presumably you have data logged and graphed?

I can see the SNRM has dropped to ~6 dB from ~19 dB on the upstream which would means there is a lower overhead for noise. The graph you have provided shows FECs, which have increased on the upstream and remain mostly the same for the downstream. Though FECs are usually no big concern and it would imply that your line has interleaving on but the drop of SNRM will certainly increase the FEC count.

My assumption is that perhaps your upstream has been uncapped (from 448 Kbps). This may have been because of an upgrade to ADSL2/2+ capable hardware at the exchange, especially since you have said telnet says ADSL2 modulation mode.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 06:09:26 PM »

. . . perhaps your upstream has been uncapped (from 448 Kbps). This may have been because of an upgrade to ADSL2/2+ capable hardware at the exchange, especially since you have said telnet says ADSL2 modulation mode.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps noddy would be prepared to disclose the serving telephony exchange . . . as we might be able to find out if its equipment has been updated from 20CN to 21CN?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 06:54:04 PM »

That is exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps noddy would be prepared to disclose the serving telephony exchange . . . as we might be able to find out if its equipment has been updated from 20CN to 21CN?
no problem :) NSBIR Birsay Orkney

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 07:05:20 PM »

I think we need to see the full stats, preferably both before and after for comparisons sake otherwise it's going to be pure assumption on what has actually changed. If there is confusion to where those stats are, just post here and someone will be able to help. :) I can see you are using DSLstats so presumably you have data logged and graphed?

I can see the SNRM has dropped to ~6 dB from ~19 dB on the upstream which would means there is a lower overhead for noise. The graph you have provided shows FECs, which have increased on the upstream and remain mostly the same for the downstream. Though FECs are usually no big concern and it would imply that your line has interleaving on but the drop of SNRM will certainly increase the FEC count.

My assumption is that perhaps your upstream has been uncapped (from 448 Kbps). This may have been because of an upgrade to ADSL2/2+ capable hardware at the exchange, especially since you have said telnet says ADSL2 modulation mode.
Afraid I've not been logging the telnet data  :-[ but here's todys

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 07:19:57 PM »

no problem :) NSBIR Birsay Orkney
Just checking a random postcode on the DSLchecker for that exchange shows ADSL2+ availability, so there's a good chance that your connection has recently been upgraded. Checking the usual sites such as ThinkBroadband and Telecom Tariffs show the exchange as not enabled for 21CN WBC, but those should update soon (but it doesn't matter as the DSLchecker will be accurate).

Afraid I've not been logging the telnet data  :-[ but here's todys
The fact that it's showing ADSL2 and the upload is uncapped makes me believe that you are now on 21CN WBC and were on a 20CN connection before. Either way, enjoy that almost doubled upstream! :D

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 07:59:02 PM »

Just checking a random postcode on the DSLchecker for that exchange shows ADSL2+ availability, so there's a good chance that your connection has recently been upgraded. Checking the usual sites such as ThinkBroadband and Telecom Tariffs show the exchange as not enabled for 21CN WBC, but those should update soon (but it doesn't matter as the DSLchecker will be accurate).
The fact that it's showing ADSL2 and the upload is uncapped makes me believe that you are now on 21CN WBC and were on a 20CN connection before. Either way, enjoy that almost doubled upstream! :D
Cheers I wonder what I'll do with all that speed ? ;) I'm waiting for the appearance of a cabinet  :fingers: locals say it's coming but no idea where that rumour started , fibre is at the exchange but we on EO lines have to wait  :( 

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »

. . . locals say it's coming but no idea where that rumour started , fibre is at the exchange but we on EO lines have to wait  :( 
Sadly, according to the Highlands and Islands Enterprise website, Birsay is live with cabinets 1 and 2, with no obvious scope for any additional work to bring it to EO lines in the foreseeable future.

A document from HIE, while perhaps a little outdated (from August 2017), can be found here which pretty much confirms the above only through absence of any stated plans:
Cabinets 1 and 2 are live and accepting orders for those connected to the cabinets. Coverage is for the east of Birsay from cabinet (1) Birsay Bay/Palace area for cabinet 2.

A bit of a deeper delve may reveal more information. Though it may be something that you would like to investigate.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 09:06:00 PM »

Certainly looks like there's little hope :( , well as long it doesn't get any worse I'll survive  ;)

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 04:16:19 PM »

well it remained pretty stable for 5 days ( touch wood ) the graphs look very different to the ones previous to the change , but one question if it can now do adsl2 am I right in thinking taking into account the distance to the exchange there's no point setting the router to except adsl2+ ?
  Attn(dB):        57.0            36.8

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 04:49:29 PM »

I would be more inclined to set the modem/router to use ADSL2 (ITU-T G.992.3) rather than ADSL2+ (ITU-T G.992.5). It would certainly be worthwhile not continuing to use G.DMT, a.k.a. ADSL (ITU-T G.992.1).

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 05:39:11 PM »

I would be more inclined to set the modem/router to use ADSL2 (ITU-T G.992.3) rather than ADSL2+ (ITU-T G.992.5). It would certainly be worthwhile not continuing to use G.DMT, a.k.a. ADSL (ITU-T G.992.1).
cheers I had it set to just G.DMT and ADSL2 in case it ever came available so I'll leave it be for now :)

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 08:53:17 AM »

could I also ask is it usual for up SNR ( 6 ) to be lower than  down ( 9 ) ? before this change it's always been the other way

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 03:57:33 PM »

The default target SNR margin would be 6 dB. That you have the device currently synchronised with the DS showing a SNRM of 9 dB would suggested that a controlled resynchronisation may now be appropriate. Most likely there was some external interference present, depressing the SNRM, at the time of the previous resynchronisation. 

Look at the SNR margins as soon as is possible after the resynchronisation event . . . what you see should be very close to the configured target.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 04:46:58 PM »

I was assuming that the target DS SNRM is 9, it will have inherited the target from when the line was on 20CN.
Pages: [1] 2