Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL & Extensions  (Read 1881 times)

JGO

• Reg Member
ADSL & Extensions
« on: October 07, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »

Many houses have a built in phone extension, but I've never seen mention of a need for a frequency splitter at an extension not used for ADSL.
Without it the extension phone is in parallel with the line from the exchange. Avoiding this is the point of the splitter at the ADSL and phone  so why no mention ?

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: ADSL & Extensions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 12:52:59 PM »

How the hell have you managed to have never seen that mentioned? I think there must be something seriously lacking in where or how you have been looking!

Or perhaps everyone just expects a centralised filter.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 05:38:27 PM »

Many houses have a built in phone extension, but I've never seen mention of a need for a frequency splitter at an extension not used for ADSL.

I am very puzzled by that apparent deficiency.  ???  Do you have an example that you can share, please, of such non-existent advice?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 05:52:29 PM »

Maybe JGO is having an off-day, or his wording hasn't come over as intended ??

Whatever the intention, the gentleman in question is about as qualified as it comes in his own field of work .... so I'm certain there will be a genuine reason behind this question.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 06:07:43 PM »

Yes, indeed. Knowing of JGO's knowledge of all things RF orientated has added to my puzzlement. 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 12:11:16 AM »

I have always told everyone to be very careful to have dangly microfilters on all extensions even if there are no phones plugged in to them. Or better, to put in an SSFP (ie faceplate-type filter) and run extensions out of the the post-filter terminals so the extensions are all hf-free. The faceplates are better anyway as they are less vulnerable to damage and very high quality.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 08:42:00 AM »

Obviously I tried to condense my message too much  - expressions can have a different meaning to someone with a different background -( "Bridge T" sounds like  refreshment for the navigator ).

The instructions for my modem has  one line  of advice on "additional telephone sockets" and a tiny sketch although there is blank space on the page.

Nowhere else  have I seen a flat statement " You will need an extra micro-filter if you have a extension telephone "  as a basic consideration for the beginner.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:52:17 AM by JGO »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 09:09:17 AM »

Quick Google for "microfilter extension socket" and the first two hits (BT and John Lewis) include the following advice for installations that don't use a filtered faceplate ..
Quote from: BT
If your master socket has one socket:
You must use a microfilter for every phone socket in your home with any phone or broadband equipment plugged in (including your Hub, phones, answer machines, digital TV boxes, and alarm systems).
and
Quote from: John Lewis
You need to connect a microfilter to each phone socket in use in your property, as shown in the example above.

I can't really think of any source of advice that was misleading on this point.

anything