Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Twenty years  (Read 2013 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Twenty years
« on: August 02, 2018, 02:29:32 AM »

It is twenty years this month since my wife and I left London and moved to Skye. Seems like a long time too.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Twenty years
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 05:46:10 PM »

And, if I remember the details that you told me about the move, Orange, a.k.a. Tiddy-Puss (or then Tiddy-Kitten), RIP, accompanied you on that adventure.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:51:55 PM »

Odd thing about 20 years is, it’s not what it used to be.

It was just over 20 years between the end of WW2 and all its tragedy, and the first broadcast of Dad’s Army, which exposed a “funny” side of WW2.   Pursued of course by others, such as Allo Allo.  I therefor surmise, in mid 20th century, 20 years was a long time.

These days, it is the blink of an eyelid.   Can anyone imagine making a TV sitcom about the Iraq Wars, or the Nato’s interventions in Bosnia, while it is all so fresh in mind?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 08:17:43 PM »

Maybe that blink of any eyelid comes with age, do you think? Were shows like Dads Army and Allo Allo accepted because folk were around, who had been close or within the suffering caused by two WWs. I suggest that the shows were types of "Nil carborundum illegitimi" humour.

I read that Allo Allo was sold to German TV and well received!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 08:24:06 PM »

Maybe that blink of any eyelid comes with age, do you think?

Absolutely not, and on that I stand firm.

It is generally believed that “time getting faster” is an illusion caused by age.   I disagree, I believe the speed of time really does fluctuate, regardless of age. ::)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 10:53:44 PM »

When you're 5, a year is 20% of your life so far, but when you're 50, it's only 2%. When another year has passed, you look back on it in the context of all the years you've lived. That (IMO) is why time seems to pass more quickly as you get older.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 11:11:15 PM »

When you're 5, a year is 20% of your life so far, but when you're 50, it's only 2%. When another year has passed, you look back on it in the context of all the years you've lived. That (IMO) is why time seems to pass more quickly as you get older.

That’s the common theory.   I choose not to accept it, based on examples such as quoted earlier.   My own hypothesis is that speed of time simply varies and is somewhat spurious, and it varies for all people and all ages.   Generally it increases but last night, watching an awful movie that I did not choose, it slowed right down for a while.

I’d like to conduct some more intensive research to support my theories but at my age, not sure I have the attention span.   :D

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 11:51:03 PM »

It was just over 20 years between the end of WW2 and all its tragedy, and the first broadcast of Dad’s Army, which exposed a “funny” side of WW2.   Pursued of course by others, such as Allo Allo.  I therefor surmise, in mid 20th century, 20 years was a long time.

These days, it is the blink of an eyelid.   Can anyone imagine making a TV sitcom about the Iraq Wars, or the Nato’s interventions in Bosnia, while it is all so fresh in mind?

This is an interesting point, but I'd counter with Four Lions after 9/11... but I guess you'd call that pretty dark humour, which raises another point, was Dad's Army received as controversial or "out there" when it first aired?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 12:03:13 AM »

This is an interesting point, but I'd counter with Four Lions after 9/11... but I guess you'd call that pretty dark humour, which raises another point, was Dad's Army received as controversial or "out there" when it first aired?

Not really familiar with Four Lions and don’t think I’ve seen it, but wasn’t it a one-off cinema movie, rather than a TV family sitcom?

Dad’s Army may well have been controversial.  In fact, not sure I was initially allowed to watch, being so young and Dad, who landed on a Normandy beach on D-Day, having quite understandable deep seated hatreds still lurking.   But by the second or third series, it was essential family viewing. :)

Emphasing my point more though, and moving away from any “religious war” aspects, even the Falklands war, now nearly 40 years ago, I suspect would be too fresh in the mind for a TV Sitcom. :-\

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 12:20:34 AM »

It was indeed just a film, but its really very good and you should give it a watch if you get a chance. Does come from the mind of Chris Morris, don't know if you ever watched Brass Eye or The Day Today, but that guy, so not exactly mainstream. That one episode of Brass Eye was the most complained about thing on broadcast television for some time IIRC.

Hmmm.... Captain Team America? There was an awful BBC comedy about people serving in Afghanistan, "Bluestone 42".

Anyway I still think you're point stands, current events stay current for longer for some reason. Maybe the constant news streams or the sensationalism of coverage? I'm not sure and have a smaller reference frame than some, interesting to think about though.

Edit: Team not Captain
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 12:33:41 AM by johnson »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 01:39:38 AM »

@Buraakucat - indeed, you have a good memory - Orange and his tiny brother Aonghus Dubh who was indeed all black, were in a rabbit hutch with five other cats, so seven cats in total - the guinea pigs were of course rehoused temporarily. All in the back of an enormous Luton box truck. The worst mistake ever, moving ourselves, took three runs, in fact - two truck loads and a car load as well which all cost a fortune in one-way rental and fuel. It would definitely have been cheaper and a whole lot less stress getting a Skye or Orkney-based removal company who do these all the time.

In April, during the first run, we brought a huge Rayburn kitchen range-type stove from Janet’s folks in Staffordshire. Got to the house and had a genius plan about tying a rope around a tree and driving the truck forwards, to inch the stove, which was on pallets, out onto the lifting platform at the back of the truck. I stood at the front of the truck telling Janet how far forwards she could safely go before the front wheels went off the edge of the drive and down the bank, as the whole thing was sideways across the drive. So there was no one at the back of the truck. Suddenly there was a thunderclap because the stove had come flying out of the truck and had landed on its face on the lifting platform. Apparently its pallet must have stuck on a slight lip at the edge of the truck’s bed, so then the rope turned the whole pallet into a lever.

Help came from next door in the form of one of my neighbours, Rob - that was the first time we met him, and was I ever glad for some reinforcements as we had no idea how we were going to shift this massive things. Janet drove the truck slowly with stove still balanced on the platform round to next door's garages where Niall put pipes under it and rolled it on them inside.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 09:09:41 PM »

@Weaver: Now that would have made a great episode for a comedy show! ;D

@7lm: I tend to agree with renluop. WW2 involved everyone in the UK, whereas the Falklands, Iraq, 9/11 etc were 'somewhere out there', and most people experienced them through the eyes & ears of the news media, rather than through personal involvement.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 11:00:14 PM »

@7lm: I tend to agree with renluop. WW2 involved everyone in the UK, whereas the Falklands, Iraq, 9/11 etc were 'somewhere out there', and most people experienced them through the eyes & ears of the news media, rather than through personal involvement.

Doesn’t that, actually, support my theories?

Many many people, huge percentage of population,  were directly and tragically affected by WW2.  Yet just 30 years later they could regard Dad’s Army as “funny”.     In contrast, relatively few people were directly affected by more recent conflicts such as Falklands, Iraq, tragic as they were.  Yer somehow, “seeing the funny side” after a mere 30 years would be taboo. ???

Only explanation I can see is, speed of time has changed. :)