Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: NEW Billion 8800NL R2 Firmware Update to stop Rebooting Issues 2.52.d11  (Read 5218 times)

jrumball

Been having Issues with my Billion 8800NL R2 randomly rebooting, they released new firmware yesterday with the only note being that it fixes the Rebooting issue

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/423/119/latest-bipac-8800nl-r2-firmware-252d11

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: NEW Billion 8800NL R2 Firmware Update to stop Rebooting Issues 2.52.d11
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 12:35:15 PM »

@jrumball

Many thanks for this information, I have been having random re-booting issues also on this model, see my post in this forum, as nothing had changed with respect to firmware updates etc, I was attributing this to a hardware fault.

I currently have the unit running on the bench, not line connected, for a few days where it's never re-booted, will certainly try the f.ware update and re-test including on line if it remains stable for a few days.

[Moderator edited to insert a link to the referenced thread.]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 06:45:15 PM by burakkucat »
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 03:23:36 PM »

This also includes the 8800AXL R2. They rolled out the firmwares for both devices on the same day and fixing the same issue.

News post here.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 04:48:05 PM »

Have loaded the new rev. on my suspect 8800NL r2 and currently testing off line, will try and get the unit on line again tomorrow as it did not seem to have the re-booting issue when powered up but off line.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 11:49:41 AM »

Billion 8800NL r2 has been back on line now running latest FW for 2 days without any issues  :fingers:

Must admit I was somewhat sceptical about the FW fix as the router was in service for well over a year without any issues and certainly never had any FW updates applied or configuration changes made since installation, was much more inclined to believe that it was a HW issue, ageing components etc..
Hopefully I was wrong (again) !

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 01:11:19 PM »

Fingers X'd for you. My router used to reboot with seemingly varied uptimes. Could last a few hours, but could also last a couple of weeks at most. I'm still using the "test" firmware for my 8800AXL R2 since I have not received any further communications from Billion on whether the problem has been fixed. Though I haven't had a reboot for over two weeks so I there's a good chance they've nailed it for my device at least, so the officially released firmware will likely just incorperate the fix applied in the test firmware.

youngsyp

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 10:42:33 AM »

Fingers X'd for you. My router used to reboot with seemingly varied uptimes. Could last a few hours, but could also last a couple of weeks at most. I'm still using the "test" firmware for my 8800AXL R2 since I have not received any further communications from Billion on whether the problem has been fixed. Though I haven't had a reboot for over two weeks so I there's a good chance they've nailed it for my device at least, so the officially released firmware will likely just incorperate the fix applied in the test firmware.
They have fixed it. I have an 8800AXL R2 also and have been using the test FW since it became available. My CPE has been rock solid since.

There's a newer version available now v2.52d12, which fixes the need to log in twice before gaining access to the CPE GUI.

It's worth pointing out that these firmware versions contain a new DMT driver, when compared to v2.52d10.

Paul

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 02:58:43 PM »

They have fixed it. I have an 8800AXL R2 also and have been using the test FW since it became available. My CPE has been rock solid since.

There's a newer version available now v2.52d12, which fixes the need to log in twice before gaining access to the CPE GUI.

It's worth pointing out that these firmware versions contain a new DMT driver, when compared to v2.52d10.

Paul
2.52.d11 certainly fixes the issue with rebooting. I imagine I should be fine to disclose information about the fix since it was disclosed to me without a non-disclosure agreement, but I feel that I should give it some time in case it is used to target devices. It is not a security flaw to the best of my knowledge, but could certainly inconvenience people using affected CPEs if the device was targeted. It is probably why they have not put it on the patch notes.

I have been provided with 2.52.d12 but I am still using d11 for now. I initially had an issue with the GUI not being accessible after upgrading from "test" to d11 with current configuration but a reboot seems to have it accessible again. I have reported the issue but perhaps it was present in earlier firmwares anyway. I might upgrade to d12 later if support can confirm that the issue where I have to login twice (though it's not a massive issue).

I don't use the device as a modem party because of the issues with rebooting, so the newer DMT driver is not really an excitement to me. I think I'll just continue with this separate modem setup. :)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 03:47:22 PM »

Glad to report that the 8800NL r2 is still running without incident, that's just under 5 days now since going on line with the revised firmware installed, looking good, well done Billion support.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 02:15:32 PM »

Something I have observed since re-commissioning the 8800NL r2 with latest FW on my daughters PN VDSL2 line, connecting to the attached RPi Zero W running DSLStats remotely using VNC, which I do on a daily basis to keep an eye on performance, I initially get a lot of time outs and/or remote disconnects which certainly was not the case previously.
Connection does get there and holds in the end but 2 or 3 attempts are quite normal.
Nothing other than the FW update has changed.

My other remote connection by the same method to my sons line, Billion 8800NL r1 & RPi Zero W, always was and still is normal, connects solidly on first request.

Coincidence or new FW associated anomaly ?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 01:12:50 AM »

I am not sure what the problem is, but I wouldn't rule out it being just a coincidence. Maybe you've even solved it by now, we could hope.

I was thinking that perhaps it could be a naff Ethernet but:
  • I imagine you're using WiFi on the Zero W (since Ethernet is not built-in)
  • Even if it was a naff cable then the problem would be more persistent and you'd have a log of the disconnects, at least in the syslog of the Pi I imagine
Since you're connecting to the device remotely, there is a wider scope for problems. Though as you've said you have no issues connecting to the Pi on your son's connection, I would start off by checking the syslog on the Pi on your daughter's line and see if there is anything suspect there.

Anyway, let us know how you get on. :)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 12:17:21 PM »

@re0:

Many thanks for the response and suggestions.
Yes, the RPi Zero W is using a Wi-Fi connection to the router, the Pi being velcro'ed to the casing of the Billion and powered from it's USB socket, I do have a micro USB to ethernet adaptor for the Pi which I can use to directly connect to a router port but to keep things simple I only use this when setting up the system, configurating the Wi-Fi port etc. in the first instance.

Using normal, same premises, connection to the Pi, ie., from local desktop PC via VNC which is connected to the router by a pair of mains home plugs but still using Rpi Wi-Fi gives instant connection every time.

Looking at the situation simplistically, the only thing that has changed is the FW update on the Billion router hence the "likely" conclusion that this has caused the change in connection behaviour.
As the random re-booting of the router certainly appears to be cured with the FW update, over a week now uninterrupted DSL connection, I definately won't be rolling back the FW revision to prove / disprove the point, will likely just live with the minor inconvenience, connection is usually established after a few tries at most and remains steady for the duration of the session once established.

Will check the syslog on the Rpi, had not thought of that to see if that offers any clues.

Edit: Typo correction

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 03:52:19 PM »

I think that it may be a reasonable idea to make this a topic of its own since we may start [continuously] deviating from the actual topic here. :)

Granted, the problem may be with the firmware as it is one of the obvious variables to been changed (at least knowingly). I would give the router a reboot and see if it clears up the problem. If it does not, then I would probably create a new topic.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 04:28:15 PM »

Yes, point taken, wandering off topic is a tendency I'am guilty of all too often.

On original topic, I'am now satisified that the latest FW revision has in my case cured the random re-booting issue on the Billion 8800NL r2 router.

On the other issue, enough said, any further input will be directed to a new topic, to be honest, unless the situalion worsens considerably that's unlikely as it is just a minor annoyance at present.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 12:45:17 AM »

Well I am thinking that there is a chance it could be related since the reboot fix actually changes the way it responds to certain traffic. Not like it will be impactful, but I do not know.

Just out of interest, are you using a VPN to connect to the network and then connecting to the Pi using VNC or are you directly connecting over VNC? I just need to clarify this.

But yeah, if you continue to experience it/if it worsens then create a topic and post a link here to it so I can pick up on it. :)
Pages: [1] 2