Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Daily DS SNRM Drops  (Read 11710 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Daily DS SNRM Drops
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2019, 12:23:04 AM »

Where can we get a suitable big fat mains voltage rated capacitor from ? That would cure it I would think ?

I assume that if one’s interleaved death is greater then it might help ? Unless the duration of the glitch is too great anyway, because of arcing, not just simple one-off rise dI/dt from one transition. Crappy contacts where voltage bounces (did they used to call it being in need of ‘de-thump’ ?) would be much much worse altogether, taking us back into the 19C.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2019, 01:58:00 AM »

Where can we get a suitable big fat mains voltage rated capacitor from ? That would cure it I would think ?

Devices, more often than not, called a "suppressor" are an encapsulated, series connected, RC pair and can be purchased from any of the big electrical/electronic retailers . . . RS Components, CPC Farnell, etc.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2019, 04:10:51 PM »

Thanks for your input tiffy. I performed your test and the spikes were produced when manually turning the thermostat to a lower temperature setting i.e. valve closing and pump stopping. I did this a couple of times with the same result. I had already ordered a replacement having sourced a Siemens unit which claimed to be an equivalent which I have now fitted. It is working satisfactorily and no spikes when manually adjusted, so fingers crossed for no more interference during normal operation and I can remove my speed cap.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2019, 05:44:52 PM »

@vic0239

OK on your further testing as per suggestions.

As previously advised, with these results I would have first gone for a "suppressor" as b*cat correctly describes, however, as you have now sourced and fitted a replacement tank temperature stat which has cured the problem, a good result achieved.

It's quite possible that your replacement stat has a suppressor fitted as standard across it's contacts, many now do.

Also apologies to g3uiss for thread hijacking and good luck with your external noise source identification.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2019, 06:06:05 PM »

As previously advised, with these results I would have first gone for a "suppressor" as b*cat correctly describes, however, as you have now sourced and fitted a replacement tank temperature stat which has cured the problem, a good result achieved.
I did investigate sourcing a suppressor, but those I though might be suitable cost more than the new thermostat. ??? I’m no expert though so was probably looking at the wrong type.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2019, 03:25:44 PM »

Quote from: tiffy
Also apologies to g3uiss for thread hijacking and good luck with your external noise source identification.

No problems I’m glad you have identified your issue. I’m bewildered  as how to proceed,  or just live with it as I can’t filter it out, as it’s happing somewhere down the line.

I think it’s central heating. It started 1st October last year and stopped about late May. This year it’s started a bit earlier but it’s been quite cold here. We haven’t yet turned ours on but will shortly.

[Moderator edited to fix the above quotation.]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 06:06:25 PM by burakkucat »
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2019, 06:05:56 PM »

I think it’s central heating. It started 1st October last year and stopped about late May. This year it’s started a bit earlier but it’s been quite cold here. We haven’t yet turned ours on but will shortly.

If you think it's an external central heating related source then I would imagine it would be quite near at hand, if mains bourne then likely to be someone on the same distribution phase, ie. probably not next door.

The only other easily achievable suggestion would be to try some form of mains filtering on your modem/router, these are available in either wired or encapsulated format, encapsulated much easier to fit but more costly, check some of the sources suggested earlier by b*cat such as RS or CPC/Farnell, worth a try.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2019, 07:21:07 PM »

Devices, more often than not, called a "suppressor" are an encapsulated, series connected, RC pair and can be purchased from any of the big electrical/electronic retailers . . . RS Components, CPC Farnell, etc.

What am I actually looking for - looked at RS and not clear

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2019, 12:23:22 PM »

@g3uiss

Have had a quick browse ref. mains filters, somewhat shocked regarding cost especially with RS Components.

Cheapest option I can find is here:
e-Bay Plug In Filter
Listed as old stock but I don't believe the related technology has changed radically.

Another option but considerably more costly:
Amazon 6 Way Filter

The earlier model of this item listed on Amazon appears to refer more to RF Interference protection as well as surge protection and mains conditioning:
Earlier Model Amazon 6 Way Filter

If you are a "hands on" person and have the resources then making your own filter would likely be the cheapest option with something like this:
e-Bay Bare Mains Filter
Would need to be mounted in preferably a metal box with a short mains lead input and a 13 A. socket for output.

Of course absolutly no guarantee that any form of mains filtering on your modem/router will solve your issue, it's just part of the process of elimination.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2019, 04:24:10 PM »

Mine still happens practically every day at around 10am give or take an hour either side. 
Never got to the bottom of it although don't know if I dare say this, but it has been causing less Err/Secs for the past couple of months.

-----

g3uiss - do you have a smart meter? 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2019, 04:56:38 PM »

Yeah these type of issues are the worst.

The issues that are there all the time are better as then a visiting engineer witnesses it and will then have an easier time of fixing it.

On my ADSL service I had noise bursts at random times during office hours and always would be worst in the morning with the initial burst been akin to a shotgun blast at the line.  I later found out it was known by the engineers and was told off the record where the problem lies.   It was exchange side, and sure enough on VDSL the problem is long gone.  So I was lucky in that respect.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2019, 07:00:40 PM »

Mine still happens practically every day at around 10am give or take an hour either side. 
Never got to the bottom of it although don't know if I dare say this, but it has been causing less Err/Secs for the past couple of months.

-----

g3uiss - do you have a smart meter?

No @kitz no smart meter.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2019, 07:03:08 PM »

Yeah these type of issues are the worst.

The issues that are there all the time are better as then a visiting engineer witnesses it and will then have an easier time of fixing it.

On my ADSL service I had noise bursts at random times during office hours and always would be worst in the morning with the initial burst been akin to a shotgun blast at the line.  I later found out it was known by the engineers and was told off the record where the problem lies.   It was exchange side, and sure enough on VDSL the problem is long gone.  So I was lucky in that respect.

That’s really interesting as my other line is VDSL and doesn’t suffer. I put that down to the affected frequency being at the low end.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2019, 12:14:11 AM »

I've been looking around for an example of the circuit diagram for a mains EMI filter. Attached, below, is typical example. (It's not a recommendation for that actual Chinese made device!)

If that circuit diagram needs to be "translated" into English sentences, please just ask. I'm sure quite a few of us will be capable of doing so . . .

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2019, 09:54:54 AM »

Very close format and practically identical component wise to this unit e-Bay Bare Mains Filter I listed earlier in the thread, also made in China, majority of things are these days.

The "cable tails" varient as illustrated by b*cat could make termination and fabrication into a suitable enclosure if desired a bit easier, save a bob or two on crimp terminals etc..

There are a lot of package termination variations readily available with various current ratings which shoud be chosen with regard to what is going to be powered through the filter.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything