Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL/VDSL  (Read 2112 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
ADSL/VDSL
« on: September 30, 2018, 09:46:27 PM »

A friend has recently gone over to fibre (to cabinet).

I volunteered to change the router setting to VDSL once connected.  Had to this with mine, when I changed to fibre.  However my friends fibre is up and running without any manual changes.

My question is can the router settings change automatically when fibre is connected?

Thanks

gom

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: ADSL/VDSL
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 10:01:16 PM »

If it is a BT home hub, then yes.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 10:02:43 PM »

If it was set to automatic with all the modulation types enabled it would not have needed any changes.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 10:26:30 PM »

In todays world ... most routers are dual compatible and will automatically synch with the modulation delivered.

We do tend to have certain issues with TT though, ranging from compatibility with the higher synch product on the vectored Cabs, (80Mbps) and more-so authentication (PPP Session), across all the synch products ..... 99% resolved via a phone call.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 11:41:50 PM »

We do tend to have certain issues with TT though, ranging from compatibility with the higher synch product on the vectored Cabs, (80Mbps).

Do you have any further details on this? Is it a modem that isn't Vectoring capable?

and more-so authentication (PPP Session), across all the synch products ..... 99% resolved via a phone call.

They are the only keep to use IPoE on FTTC. It requires no username/password but the system needs to recognise you to authenticate. I believe it uses a form of Circuit ID to authenticate.

Random question for you BlackSheep. Does an OpenReach circuit ID ever change? Say after ceasing/reactivating a line?
I know my OpenReach circuit ID, or did, if it changes.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 07:27:46 AM »

Do you have any further details on this? Is it a modem that isn't Vectoring capable?

They are the only keep to use IPoE on FTTC. It requires no username/password but the system needs to recognise you to authenticate. I believe it uses a form of Circuit ID to authenticate.

Random question for you BlackSheep. Does an OpenReach circuit ID ever change? Say after ceasing/reactivating a line?
I know my OpenReach circuit ID, or did, if it changes.

1) That appears to be the case, j0hn .... in certain circumstances we have to ring the DCoE to have the vectoring removed for the router to synch, but in fairness .... these instances are far less than they were lets say, 6 months back.

2) Not a question I could answer I'm afraid. I only work in the 'here and now', so wouldn't have details of the previous circuit ID.

By circuit ID, I think you are alluding to the ID that begins with (normally from what I see) BBEU*********** ?? If so, then yes ... that, along with the C-Tag and S-Tag details (commonly referred to as 'the build') have to marry up in order for synch to take place.

I hope this is the info you were after, apologies if not.  :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 02:25:00 PM »

Cheers BS.
The circuit ID I was given was LLES0691149.
No idea if such an ID means anything to you?
It was an OpenReach CSS who gave it to me a few years ago.

Turning off Vectoring to obtain sync seems like quite a bodge and goes against the point of Vectoring.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 03:43:05 PM »

Cheers BS.
The circuit ID I was given was LLES0691149.
No idea if such an ID means anything to you?
It was an OpenReach CSS who gave it to me a few years ago.

Turning off Vectoring to obtain sync seems like quite a bodge and goes against the point of Vectoring.

Aha .... I'm with you now, I thought you meant the VDSL circuit ID ??. That ID is a LLU ID, pal. In my work area they are all LLLC xxxxxxx ............. LL = Local Loop (Unbundled - so I've been told ??) and the LC = the area (Lancs & Cumbria).

Ergo ... that circuit ID's area is ES ..... wherever that may be ??  :)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »

Thanks for the replies, that answers my question.  Router must have switched over automatically. 

FYI router is a technicolour.

I am sorry to say that I have got a bit lost with all the technical stuff, vectoring etc!! (obviously need to read up on this) but thanks for the explanations.

gom

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 08:25:58 PM »

Thanks BS that answers my question as to if that circuit ID changes. It obviously does.

The ES is East Scotland. All the exchanges here start ES (I'm on ESDAL).

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 08:36:23 PM »

Bl00dy hell ..... I was trying to work out where ES may be .... I don't know why, but I had you as residing in 'Southern softie land'  ;) and couldn't for the life in me come up with a region from ES ??!!

Cheers.

anything