Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Network security check clever easy tip - from Marcus Roskosch  (Read 1557 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Network security check clever easy tip - from Marcus Roskosch
« on: September 29, 2018, 05:00:46 PM »

Tip: how to become an ‘outsider’ easily.

Marcus Roskosch gave me a clever tip, in the help file of his NetworkToolbox or NET-Toolbox iOS app. If you have a device that has a 3G/4G network interface, connect to the internet using that interface only, which probably means switching off wireless LAN interface temporarily so that ‘wifi’ is not preferred. Your device will then have IP address(es) that are outside your normal home network, so this gives you the quick easy ability to look at things from the outside, to do security checks that you cannot normally do as a LAN insider. If you use iOS, the NetworkToolbox app can do various tests from outside looking in as well as inside your LAN, the former being the most important, clearly.

Obviously you could otherwise get a friend who is an outsider to do this, but this is just a quick tip to allow you to test things on your own.

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Network security check clever easy tip - from Marcus Roskosch
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 05:11:08 PM »

am i missing something here? or is the "tip" to turn off WIFI and use your mobile connection to test your network?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Network security check clever easy tip - from Marcus Roskosch
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 06:11:52 PM »

Done it many a time, even used tethering and connected my laptop.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

anything