Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New line via new route is what openreach tell me to ask for.  (Read 2055 times)

tip-pc

• Just arrived
New line via new route is what openreach tell me to ask for.
« on: September 27, 2018, 10:59:23 PM »

My line connects to an fttc cab 1.2km away via a pole ~40m across the road but i can no longer order fttc due to its speed being ~ 25mbs on a dry summers day.
I'd like to use the closer pole ~10m away that connects to the fttc cab 100m away. OpenReach stated i need to ask the isp for a new route when ordering my connection but so far the agents i speak with just get confused and claim a new line means a new number and just repeat that when i ask if i'll get a new physical connection to the pole. they get really lost when i explain the situation and OR's advice.

Anyone had any luck getting a new complete line installed?

Any tips?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: New line via new route is what openreach tell me to ask for.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 03:44:01 AM »

You could always I suppose order an additional line and then do a ‘cease’ on the first one, but it’s all just a huge waste of money and hassle. If you cannot get them to understand then you need an ISP that is not brain-damaged and there most definitely are such things as ISPs with clue. Keep on at them and do tell us if you are getting nowhere.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 02:09:43 PM »

It depends on the local area.
Cabinets and exchanges have fixed boundaries.
If they moved your line to the closer pole then the rest of the street on the far away cabinet want moved to the newer cabinet also.

I've seen what you want done when it has been a single property with a DP of its own wanting moved to a closer pole.

If you share a DP/pole with others then it's a pipe dream I'm afraid.
It sets a precedent, and suddenly the rest of the street want moved.

Engineers aren't allowed to move you between cabinets like that and ISP's absolutely cannot order specific routing like someone in OpenReach told you.

If you ordered a 2nd line they would use the 2nd pair in the same drop cable (if there is 1, but there usually is).
If you ordered a 3rd line that needed a new drop cable it would be fed from the exact same pole as before.

It would cause considerable problems for providing estimates if they had multiple poles serving the same property.

Might not be the answer you want but that's how it is.

My own line and my immediate neighbours line share a duct.
My neighbours line connects to a cabinet are the end of the street.
My line continues right past this cabinet to a cabinet 400m further down the road.
1 half of the street is on the nearer cabinet then the other half is on the further cabinet and I'm the cut off point.
No amount of trying could get me moved cabinet.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 09:11:30 AM »

Back at end of 2012,had terrible connection 15Mb on a good day,wet day it drop to 9Mb or less, I pestered BTOR,even the CEO's,etc, that they moved to me from a front pole to a rear pole at bottom of garden in 2014, same cabinet though,now on 74Mb.
Did post about this in my early posts.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 09:18:01 AM by KIAB »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 09:36:33 AM »

Well done.

tip-pc

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »

I was thinking of ordering a 2nd line Weaver, got a quote of £100 but im not so confident they wont just use a 2nd pair on the existing cable.

@j0hn, there are just 6 properties at this end of the street that are on the far away cabinet. Im sure everyone would want to be on the closer one. I appreciate the documentation angle is likely enough to derail my scheme.

For work i order diverse circuits for our WAN's but thats a product offering the ISP's provide and charge for. I just don't seem to find a non business equivalent.

We will be having renovations prob next summer that may disturb the line, i wonder if they will move it for that?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 05:08:13 PM »

If all else fails, I would try asking AA about this, tell them exactly what you need, because they will understand. You can talk to them on IRC, as well as email, SMS etc. Possibly even twitter although I am not sure that they check it.