Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC no longer available on DSL checker for me :(  (Read 1610 times)

tip-pc

• Just arrived
FTTC no longer available on DSL checker for me :(
« on: September 27, 2018, 10:10:59 PM »

so i finally get round to phoning through to order fttc and its no longer available for my post code despite previously having it and my immediate neighbours all having it (3 buildings to the right and 1 to the left, the other 40 on the left are on a different pole connected to a different cab less than 100 m away).

I've noted that the FTTC sync rate listed on the dsl checker drops in winter and rises in summer.

I'm guessing OR are now not offering FTTC for those who will get less than 25mbs predicted.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC no longer available on DSL checker for me :(
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 10:20:44 PM »

I'm guessing OR are now not offering FTTC for those who will get less than 25mbs predicted.

very unlikely
have you checked both phone number and address?
have you checked your neighbours?

edit: I'm still seeing results with a clean high of 9 on a local cabinet.

more than likely a database issue unless you received very very low FEED and they have removed the offering for you.
I regularly see very low FTTC figures though, if it works and you'll pay they will sell it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 10:27:18 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 10:28:44 PM »

Without any further details (i.e. exchange and cabinet number), my suspicion is that the cabinet may just be at capacity.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tip-pc

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 11:13:20 PM »

Without any further details (i.e. exchange and cabinet number), my suspicion is that the cabinet may just be at capacity.

do they seriously not display fttc availability if the cab is full?

i know my cab and exchange, how do i check how full it is?
im ~ 1.2km from the cab, interestingly closer addresses ~ 300m from the cab are also showing no fttc.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 12:05:26 AM »

Considering your latest information, the lack of service availability does appear not to be due to cabinet capacity. Things can and do "go wrong" with the various databases, especially if there has been some manual intervention which was interrupted.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 03:40:11 AM »

The thing is, if you get 25 Mbps downstream sync rate predicted with FTTC that is better than ADSL2+, and even at the same rate it would be faster because with VDSL you use the PTM protocol whereas for some stupid reason BT does not offer PTM with ADSL2 or ADSL2+ even though the spec supports it, only ATM, which is ~10% slower or ~3% slower at the same sync rate because it is so bloated and inefficient - a lot of wasteful unnecessary extra bytes being sent, not just your data. Mind you, some modems possibly do not support PTM with ADSL2/2+ so that could be a feeble excuse. Ten percent is a lot of speed to throw away for absolutely no good reason. So you do not want ADSL - with ADSL 21CN, the IP PDU rate is only 88.2% of sync rate according to Kitz, whereas for VDSL2, to quote Kitz again,
BT would appear to be using approx 96.8% of the sync speed to calculate the IP profile for the FTTx products.   
Please note that if your DLM profile is set to Retransmission High, then this figure will be nearer 91% to allow for the additional overheads.
(There are other types of overheads too, so further bad news, and further reductions, depending on what data you are including or excluding, because of additional protocol headers. These will always include IPv4 or IPv6 headers, and often TCP headers too, all reducing effective speed still further but these are not dependent on the type of DSL link and are very dependent on the protocols a application uses.)

anything