Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach Place Stop Sell on FTTPoD Orders After Spike in Demand  (Read 2066 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Openreach Place Stop Sell on FTTPoD Orders After Spike in Demand
« on: September 27, 2018, 05:07:39 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/09/openreach-place-stop-sell-on-fttpod-orders-after-spike-in-demand.html

Customers trying to order one of Openreach’s (BT) business focused FTTP on Demand (FTTPoD / FoD) ultrafast broadband products from a supporting UK ISP are currently unable to do so because the service recently experienced a spike in demand, which has strained their operational capacity for new provisions.

FTTPoD is designed to be requested (“on demand“) in slower FTTC capable areas where Openreach’s pure fibre optic cables usually only go as far as your local street cabinet. Essentially it enables you to get an ultrafast Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) line built right to your property (e.g. business or home), even if FTTP wasn’t previously planned for the area, albeit with the customer having to pay the significant build costs involved.

The installation cost of FTTPoD, which can reach into the tens of thousands of pounds, and its close proximity to certain Ethernet / Leased Line style solutions has always made it a difficult product for ISPs to place. Despite this there are some people who have found a use for it. This has also been boosted by the Government’s new Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme for small businesses.

At present Openreach’s overall industry-wide operation capacity for supporting individual FoD provisions is 20 orders per calendar month (April 2018 to March 2019), which is largely due to their recent re-focus on the new native FTTP roll-out to 3 million premises by 2020. Suffice to say that it doesn’t take much to put that under some strain and now a new Stop Sell has been implemented.

An Openreach Spokesperson (Adam) said:

“We’re asking Communication Providers to hold back from placing any new orders for FoD, after a recent spike in demand.

We’ve always been clear with industry around our operational capacity to deliver FoD and this temporary measure will allow us to work through our existing orders and avoid the risk of any backlog.”
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Openreach Place Stop Sell on FTTPoD Orders After Spike in Demand
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 05:37:42 PM »

I think this kinda shows that even though all the other companies are pushing full fibre, there is an element at OR that are still asking "Why do people need the speed?"

The increased demand was entirely foreseeable as: 1. The price of FTTPoD was reduced enough that residents could afford it, and 2. When OR have updated the exchange lists to allow more FTTPoD to appear. Didn't they think if you increase availability of FTTPoD that the interest would also increase!?

Imho the only thing that will slow down demand for FTTPoD is if OR start listing areas that they are going to set about installing FTTP in, and set a date when it will be completed by.

The last news we had from OR about full fibre was their 'fibre first' in January of this year (2018). Since then I think there as been the odd announcement here and there mentioning fibre. But nothing attention grabbing.

I keep hoping that all this quiet noise means OR are busy working on laying the foundation for a big switch i.e. FTTP suddenly being available to many more people.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »

Sting that that removes any backlog. No it does, it possibly just hides it. People are now waiting in frustration for availability to reappear, so the delay is still there and possibly it is just getting much worse. Either that or users just give up in despair. What about putting some more staff on it to get the backlog down?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 06:27:20 PM »

Prior to the stop they we're only supposed to be accepting 20 orders a month, but I sure I read somewhere they had been accepting many more. Someone also said that limit was supposed to be increasing to 100 a month sometime next year.

I'm sure OR would love to do as many FTTPod installs as possible, after all it's much cheaper if someone else pays to build the network, so I'm sure they wouldn't want to discourage take up. Hopefully they can ramp up capacity to deal with demand and then decrease prices.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »

Given the supposed backlog I was surprised how fast my survey was done. Approximately under two weeks from Cerberus informing me I'll receive a call from an Openreach surveyor I received a call asking if they could do the survey the following morning. Seemed to go smoothly, although I was unable to find out roughly how far the nearest node was sadly. They'll also feed the fiber optic cable through to my room via the back room where the line comes in so that's nice (if I go ahead with the order that is). The two guys were impressed with my server cabinet and technological setup, so impressed that the main guy left his van keys and his clipboard at the house and had to come back twice :lol:. They took a picture of my master sockets, where the current line comes in from the pole and finally my server cabinet where the current DSL connections terminate at.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 08:56:14 PM »

I would love to know the bad news, would be very interested to hear how you get on.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 11:37:12 PM »

Not sure what announcements people are expecting from Openreach? They announced the cities they would be building in first and building in them they are. They've been unblocking ducts and erecting new poles in 3 exchange areas in Leeds for the last week at least - here's a small snapshot of the work in progress in one part of one of those exchanges.

They aren't going to announce every time premises go live. They announced what they were planning and are JFDI  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 01:48:36 AM »

20 orders a month that seems incredibly low, does that include native fttp orders as well?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 06:17:18 AM »

It is just on demand orders.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 02:22:12 PM »

20 orders a month that seems incredibly low, does that include native fttp orders as well?

20 bespoke FTTP builds from Agg Node to door in areas OpenReach hadn't planned to build out the FTTP footprint.

With the amount of work involved in providing many of these of orders (new telegraph poles/installing ducting in carriageways/duct clearing etc) and with OpenReach deploying the majority of their FTTP trained manpower on very ambitiously publicised Fibre First areas, I think 20/month is pretty good for year 1 of the new structure/pricing model.

An increase to 100/month next year will require 5 times that man power.
Have you seen how many new fibre training schools OpenReach have started and how many FTTP staff they are training?

For native FTTP it's 1000's to 10000's per month by the time they get going if they want to keep their targets.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything