Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another odd REIN example  (Read 11792 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Another odd REIN example
« on: June 06, 2008, 10:28:11 AM »

For some time now I've enjoyed excellent stability with my ADSL connection, then a few days ago I started to get occasional re-syncs for no apparent reason. It always reconnected straight away at much the same speed. Then it occurred to me that the re-syncs coincided with my buying a new kitchen clock - this one, a cheap radio controlled clock from Argos. I've removed the clock, and stability seems to have returned.
  Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Another odd REIN example
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »

Odd REIN, sounds like a classic, nice thing here is that because the problem occured in conjunction with some new equipment rather than having to hunt down something which has already been there and now started causing a problem.

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »

Could it be directly connected to the 'radio' device that keeps it accurate.

(Just a general thought about identifying if REIN is a problem and is generated within a domestic house .... get a laptop running on battery, use a USB powered modem and trip the main electricity switch off to cut the power to everthing in the house and see if it cures it.)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 04:38:41 PM »

I'm afraid I spoke too soon. :-[  My connection was stable for a while after I removed the clock, but then it became unstable again, and sometimes I can now hear crackles on the phone. So it looks as though I've got a line fault. I've switched back to the DG834G router and I've got routerstats running to see what happens to the noise. :(
  Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 06:38:47 PM »

crackles on the line, yes I'd say Line fault too.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »

After a couple of days of crackles and ADSL instability, the line went quiet again on Monday afternoon and the routerstats graph flattened out. My IP profile had by then dropped from 5500 to 2000. On Tuesday afternoon I decided that the problem was over and put back the Billion 5200G. Within 12 hours my IP profile was back at 5500, so I must say that DLM works pretty well here.

I've also managed to get Routerstats working with the 5200G, so I can now monitor the noise margin over time. If only I could find a way of tweaking the target noise margin (upwards) this would be the perfect router for me. As it is, it's perfect when the line is clear, but becomes very unstable when the line goes crackly, as it does from time to time.
  Eric

Mr_CheeZe

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 05:36:37 PM »

yep crackling line = fault and adsl problems.
it wont go away on its own, it will only get worse.
check all your internal wiring connections and do the front plate removal thing to check that its an outside problem, then get an engineer to look at it.
(better if the crackle is present when the engineer arrives, its easier to find)
Openreach ADSL engineer

johninleeds

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 08:03:17 PM »

I'm sure this is a complete coincidence.  For the clock's battery to last a year, the current drawn is miniscule (maybe a couple of microamps).  Then to cause 'interference' the clock has to induce significant currents (several milliamps coincidentally at the right frequencies) into your telephone line. Interference from the clock just ain't going to happen.

anything