Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Win 8.1/10 Local Network Configuration  (Read 2090 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Win 8.1/10 Local Network Configuration
« on: March 19, 2019, 08:23:11 PM »

Running Win 8.1 on my desktop PC and Win 10 on my laptop, have always had anomalies with local network connection between the two units and in particular network device visibility in Windows explorer.

Have just completed a new build desktop PC running Win 10 so now 3 PC's on the network.
Found this video to be very helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU0L0lZ1zBI

After implementing all the directions from the video on all PC's my current situation is:
Can fully access all shared drives on both Win 10 PC's from the Win 8.1 PC..
Can fully access all shared drives on the other Win 10 PC from either Win 10 PC..
Can't access shared drives on the Win 8.1 PC from either Win 10 PC..

Is this as good as it gets with two different Win operating systems or does someone know better ?

Will probably re-deploy the older desktop PC which is an Intel i5 with Samsung SSD into Linux service so current network puzzles are likely hypothetical in the longer term.

BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

parkdale

• Reg Member
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Win 8.1/10 Local Network Configuration
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 11:24:28 AM »

Generally i make sure user/password matches, enable to use username and password to access shared drives, enable legacy sharing.  Make sure homegroup name matches.  Also finally making sure firewall is allowing traffic.  It should work.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 02:59:47 PM »

Thanks to both for the interest and suggestions.

Have taken the easy way out now and migrated by old Win 8.1 desktop PC to Win 10, was an opportune time with commissioning the new Ryzen 5 desktop and adopting this as my main PC, after implementing all the directions as per the youtube video link mentioned in the first post everything working fine, all devices can fully access each other throughout the network and appear on explorer, seems best not to mix Windows systems with respect to network connectivity.

@Chrysalis:
Note, Win. "homegroup" is no longer supported on Win 10 since the last major system update, I think this is mentioned in the youtube video.

Did plan to implement a dual boot (Win 10 & Linux Mint) on my old i5 desktop but had a bad experience with this yesterday, after installing Win 10 first then Linux Mint on two separate disk drives (disconnecting the Win 10 disk while loading Mint), managed to leave the PC un-bootable from either system, had to re-load Win 10 from scratch again.

I know various ways around this are well documented but have concluded that it's not worth the time and effort at present.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 10:20:11 AM »

For dual booting I always use 'Easy BCD' and free for personal use
https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 12:37:53 PM »

@parkdale:

Many thanks for the link, will certainly have a look at EasyBCD.

I think my dual booting issues are arising from the BIOS mode in use, I was surprised to find that my new Ryzen 5 PC is actually using Legacy BIOS (as listed in Win. System Information) on the latest Gigabyte motherboard while my much older Packard Bell, i5 desktop PC is showing UEFI BIOS (again as listed in Win. System Information), would have expected this to be the other way around.

Suppose I'am in a good position to have a further play with dual booting (on 2 separate disks) with currently just a very minimal Win 10 installataion and no personal data installed on my old i5 desktop PC, loss of "bootability" would not be a major issue and recoverable without too much effort.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 03:47:02 PM »

Sorry I meant the same workgroup, thats not removed.

The homegroup debacle is just another example of microsoft been a company that cannot make its mind up, it introduced it in windows 7 (so not that long ago only 2 windows versions ago) as the future of home networking and then retired it again in windows 10.  It is one of the reasons I dont adopt to new microsoft features easily as they have a nasty habit of retiring them in a short period of time (under 10 years).

https://www.lifewire.com/definition-of-workgroup-816285

Sorry for me been confused on the naming, its the older workgroup I use.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:53:18 PM by Chrysalis »

anything