Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Variation between copper lines (again)  (Read 3209 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Variation between copper lines (again)
« on: September 14, 2018, 11:40:10 AM »

This table shows the downstream and upstream sync rates for my lines currently, and with the values of the fractional deviations from the geometric mean are given for both directions.

Line  Downstream    Upstream   
kbpsdev  kbpsdev
130374.27%  5155.77%
22803-3.76%  55513.99%
32891-0.74%  435-10.66%
429240.39%  452-7.17%
Geo mean:2913  487

* I am sure I have asked this question before, but - why the differences?

The lines are supposed to be identical apart from line 2 which probably has a different story E-side now. (I think now we have established I actually have a D-side and an E-side now, but I take it that I had no such thing before - Is that correct? Because the PCP cab now shown in photos of the main road at Harapul is not there in Google StreetView earlier.)

Could it be down to different joints, of better or worse quality?

Pairs 1+3 are in the older drop cable into my house and 4+2 are in a second drop cable. They are in that order chronologically, ie. 1 being the oldest, then 3, then 4 and 2 the most recently made live.

I can’t see how invoking crosstalk really helps us explain the precise results. Otherwise I am stumped.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:43:21 AM by Weaver »

andyfitter

• Reg Member
Re: Variation between copper lines (again)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 12:28:32 PM »

How can they *ever* be identical? Nothing in the world is. They might be nearly identical lengths, but that’s about it. Different places in the cable bundle, different levels of interference from different crosstalkers, minute differences in attenuation from a whole load of factors. If everything were identical we’d all get the same sync rate every time we did a resync.

On lines as long as yours all of these factors probably play a far bigger part, as you’re at the extremes of the technology.

I’d be more surprised if they were exactly the same.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:30:40 PM by andyfitter »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 03:01:38 PM »

I'd agree with you in respect of the downstream, the variation Weaver is seeing is about what I'd expect.

But around a 25% difference between the best and worst on the upstream?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 03:47:40 PM »

Whilst I agree, the upload figures are very low anyway, so a small variance will be a bigger percentage, I think?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:50:23 PM by dee.jay »
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 04:33:05 PM »

The lines are supposed to be identical apart from line 2 which probably has a different story E-side now. (I think now we have established I actually have a D-side and an E-side now, but I take it that I had no such thing before - Is that correct? Because the PCP cab now shown in photos of the main road at Harapul is not there in Google StreetView earlier.)

Correct. Certainly for line number two. What is still not certain is whether lines one, three and four now have what can be considered as E- & D-sides.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 04:33:51 PM »

Whilst I agree, the upload figures are very low anyway, so a small variance will be a bigger percentage, I think?

I too would agree with that thought process, dee.jay.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 04:38:42 PM »

Yeah, if we were talking about 4 x 100Mb circuits, the percentage in variance would be tiny...

However, ~500kbps upload, dang.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »

@burakkacat Thank you for sorting out my confusion

@blacksheep @dee.jay - Do you think the fraction / percentage should stay the same for slow lines compared with faster ones?

Mind you there is also the fact that here slow means long, so perhaps with a long line there are more opportunities for variation.

I still don’t understand why lines are not absolutely identical in my case, within statistical error that is. We should perhaps leave out line 2 because it could now have a physically different story. But the others are not the same even on the downstream, never mind the upstream.

You would expect some variation. but there still has to be an actual why. Unless it is just measurement error, or time variation, or difference between resynchs, or DLM messing up the results. I wonder if some bogus variation could be produced by simply resynching at different times, when noise levels are better or worse in the day. Perhaps modems should be forced to resynch to make things fairer. I should also check what the SNRMs are.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 05:45:39 AM »

Does anyone have candidate theories as to what the contributions could be to the differences? Some were mentioned earlier in the thread.

I am wondering about different crosstalkers. Maybe some are near to noisy problem crosstalk sources and others are further away from those sources.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 06:15:27 AM »

Crosstalk decreases with increasing trace separation.
The figures for this web page show just how fast crosstalk varies with decreasing distance.

Trace pitch (mil)    Crosstalk (mV)
13   220
15   124
17   69
19   38
21   22
23   12
25   7

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 09:05:24 AM »

That page is discussing "crosstalk" on a multi layer, Printed Circuit Board. I used to make circuit boards for a living.
I spent all day loading prepreg in to a giant heated press to bond the multiple layers.

I am wondering about different crosstalkers. Maybe some are near to noisy problem crosstalk sources and others are further away from those sources.

Yes, that is likely. Remember that most crosstalk comes from other pairs within the same multi pair cable.
Pairs which are directly adjacent to each other for long distances within the multi pair cable will cause increasing levels of crosstalk.

You have 2 pairs sharing the same drop cable, twice.
A 20m run in your drop cable is nothing when you consider that your line is some 7km long. That's why you see little to no change between the lines when resyncing the surrounding lines.

With FTTC crosstalk can be much more noticeable, particularly 2 lines on a single drop cable.
I've seen someone with 80Mb sync who took out a 2nd line. This 2nd line knocks nearly 20Mb off the 1st line when synced.
The 2 pairs in question will share more than just the drop cable though and may well be in close contact within the multi pair cable all the way back to the cabinet.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:07:54 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 09:24:53 AM »

Strikes me you need to consider the effect of these lines’ crosstalk on one another.   To illustrate, let’s imagine an installation with just two lines, A and B.   Imagine the two lines are abosulutely identical electrically, and suffer identical amounts of crosstalk from external sources...

..Now, from a situation where both lines are out of service, line A becomes active and syncs up.   Line B is idle and generating no crosstalk, so line A is able to negotiate a good speed.   But when B syncs up, it finds itself impacted by A’s crosstalk, so B gets a lower speed.

From that point on, if either line resyncs in isolation, A will always do better as B is generating less crosstalk, whilst B will fare worse because A is doing better.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 09:25:28 AM »

The point about drop cables is very much correct, clearly. So maybe it is all about who is near to whom ? But then why would some be noisier sources than others ? Perhaps some neighbours are not active, I don’t know if there are so many pairs in the bundle that many are inactive, so some lucky pairs might have few active neighbours.

anything