Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Workflow or ‘Shortcuts’ being standard in iOS 12  (Read 5955 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Workflow or ‘Shortcuts’ being standard in iOS 12
« on: September 14, 2018, 12:46:59 AM »

I read that iOS 12 will have something called ‘Shortcuts’ included as standard and that this will either be the same as the existing Workflow app or at least similar. Has anyone tried this out in iOS 12? Will Shortcuts be a complete replacement or an effective one, or a superset or upgrade? Will Workflow continue to exist even?

If Shortcuts turns out to be an effective replacement for Workflow, then one can only hope that it will fix the current crippling bugs that make it completely impossible to achieve certain programming goals. The bugs that come to mind being (i) that of returning a filename instead of the contents of a file under certain circumstances and (ii) not allowing files to be accessed that are not in the /workflow/ path if you explicitly specify the name and path in the program, as opposed to the file’s handle being obtained by letting the user use the manual file selector ui.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Workflow or ‘Shortcuts’ being standard in iOS 1
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 10:41:53 AM »

Am using it now that I have iOS12. Zero bug fixes! And new bugs too now in previously working functions

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Workflow or ‘Shortcuts’ being standard in iOS 12
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 05:51:54 AM »

It is a real disaster in iOS12. Previously working programs now just hang at certain points. If you watch it animating the execution by moving a highlight through the code, it just sticks on some line or other. In one program it stuck when doing a query via http, so that looked like a comms failure, but for no good reason. But in a copy of the same program, slightly edited to put more debug info in, it then hung at a completely different point, this time in a regex search-and-replace filtering verb operating on a string, which cannot possibly take forever anyway. And it is a known working tested app.

Was on to Apple support about all the bugs, then they insisted on phoning me rather than internet chat and got cut off because of no signal.

anything