Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: No Connection  (Read 71120 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: No Connection
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 09:55:28 AM »

Sorry Ive not been around for several days..  and am amazed believe that Tiscali are still not looking into this properly for you and passing the book.

The low sync speed and high SNR, is pretty certain proof that at some point youve had a bad sync reconnect probably caused through the line fault.

Maxdsl and tiscali LLU is rate adaptive, so that your line should always sync at the best speed it can, unless its been capped.

It seems rather strange to me that they keep saying again and again that "they will be running tests" when all the symptoms seem to be that it should be an adsl engineer running tests locally.

>> They are now claiming that my slow speeds are being caused by that causing the line line to sync at its most stable rate,

Your line will always fluctuate...  but Non syncs and syncs of 256kbps are not right.
It would appear that Tiscali arent listening.... and IMHO trying to fob you off Im afraid. :(

I know what my own personal reaction would be to this situation, and that would be something along the lines of..
 "My line was perfectly fine and stable at 7Mb..  I have a 30dB attenuation line and all was fine until you (Tiscali) messed with the line and LLU'd it. 
A line that on occasion wont sync at all or syncs at 256Kbps is not acceptable. Either you sort it in the next 7 days... or I want my MAC key so I can go to an ISP that will sort it."
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 04:17:34 PM »

Hi kitz,

Many thanks for the reply.

They have sent an Engineer to the exchange as they have acknowledged as I kept on telling them that there must be a fault locally.

I think the next port of call will be them sending an engineer to my house to Run even more checks and to tell me what I know already, that my line Can support 6.5mbps or possibly a higher than 448kbps upstream rate.

I have just been notified that my Exchange (Bridgend) is getting Be Unlimited/O2 installed on the 30th of June and they estimate I can recieve pretty good speeds on their ADSL2+ network.

But that will be a last resort.

I also know that my Line hasn't been capped, as it was fine before LLU came along >:D

So with regards to the speed issue, is it possible that there is still a fault on my line or that my Line Profile needs a kick up the backside? ???

I have had these problems before, way back in the days of 512k broadband! Where they refused that they were the ones to blame and I think that a Letter is in order if the Forums team cannot resolve this, which I am quite positive that they will.

Thanks and any more advice would be most appreciated!

Regards

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 04:34:11 PM »

Obviously we cant say for certain but theres several of us on here who have commented about your problems..  (2 of them being BT adsl engineers)..  and we all seem to agree that it sounds like theres a fault on your line that can only be properly investigated by a visit by a BT engineer.

As regards to the line profile... no.. since that wouldnt stop you being able to attain sync and give you the sync of 256kb.

It could be deterioration of the line.. or it could be a faulty line card at the exchange.. or oxidisation of a joint etc etc.. and its one of those things that needs to be looked at locally to rule out several possibilities. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 05:45:03 PM »

Hi kitz,

Once again, thanks for your reply.

When you say an engineer will need to visit locally, do you mean my actual property or just the Exchange?

So basically I need to keep telling Tiscali that I believe that there is a line fault causing problems on my line.

Thing is, how could have these suddenly have appeared, would the switch to LLU have caused this?

Thanks Again

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 06:04:12 PM »

>>  When you say an engineer will need to visit locally, do you mean my actual property or just the Exchange?

afaik it depends on the type of fault call that the ISP puts in and where the engineer thinks its best to start.
Ezzer is probably the best one to comment on that.. so I'll let him reply better than I could. :)

>> Thing is, how could have these suddenly have appeared, would the switch to LLU have caused this?

A co-incidence spell of bad or wet weather could have caused a fault to occur.
or more likely if the timing is exactly with the transfer of your line to LLU.. its more probably a fault on the line card in the dslam.

Just one thing I cant recall if I asked you to double check.. and that was your router settings are set as follows?

Protocol/Encapsulation :- PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
Multiplexing method: VC-BASED or VC-Mux
(On some routers the above 2 settings may be combined as "PPPoA VC-Mux".)
VPI = 0
VCI = 38
DSL Standard: G.dmt
Security Protocol: CHAP
-----

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 06:10:06 PM »

Hi kitz,

Yes the router settings are as you mentioned and thanks for bringing that up.

Another post has mentioned faulty line card in the exchange so this could be a possibility.

Regards

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 06:24:48 PM »

If a broadband fault is passed to Openreach then it will come out one of 2 ways.

Firstly and typicaly to a broadband cse then the fault can be looked at from the idf, (or where the broadband signal comes out on the frame in the exchange) up to the end users property

Secondly If the job is pinned to a frames engineer then the line has a basic check for correct jumpering (is it wired up correctly) and does it sync. Usually a frames engineer will get such a job if a lift and shift is pending which couldn't be done for some reason when a lift and shift was identified as a requirement previously.

If a cse gets the fault then the first thing is to check what if any conditions lie on the line (the essential state of the wires which is the test for faults effecting pstn (normal telephony) and go for this if anything is detected first. Then check the broadband to see what that's upto.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 07:00:30 PM »

Hi Ezzer,

Thanks for clarifying that.

I will wait and see what Tiscali can tell me regarding the Config check they had ran at the exchange, which I guess is making sure that everything is plugged in correctly and no Line Cards are causing problems?

Regards

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 09:03:51 PM »

Hi kitz,

It looks like I will not be getting a reply from Tiscali until Monday now so I will keep you informed on my findings.

Just thought I would let you know what I posted on my Thread earlier:-

Any update from BT?

What I can’t get my head around is that my line was perfectly fine and stable at 6.5mb. I have a 30dB attenuation line and all was fine until I upgraded to your Phone service.

So my lay persons view is that something has been disturbed during the upgrade of my line?

thanks

jid

Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 09:16:41 PM »

I will wait and see what Tiscali can tell me regarding the Config check they had ran at the exchange, which I guess is making sure that everything is plugged in correctly and no Line Cards are causing problems?

I think thats the thing thats confusing all of us - Tiscali still keep saying that they are running checks.
There is a limit of what checks the ISP can perform and then it should be passed on to BT..
Things like the line card need to be checked at the exchange by an engineer.  :(

Please do keep us informed and I hope that someone actions your ticket pretty soon.
-----

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 11:03:08 PM »

The card would be checked if several ports had become faulty and had lift & shifts all on the same card by a transmission engineer. This would only come up directly on a dsl fault of yours if you needed a lift and shift aand there were no avalable spare ports at that time (very unusual occurence).

(although saying that weds I had a weird fault which I've never come across before. and was a new one to the chaps I spoke to at BTw to which I could'nt do any more and thats refered back to BTw to sort, Hope this was a one off) ???

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 11:13:23 AM »

Hi kitz and Ezzer,

Thanks for both of your replies.

Of what I have been told, BT have been asked to visit the exchange as I asked Tiscali if they would rule out any faults in the exchange and as I have previously said I am still awaiting the outcome of those checks.

Thanks

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 07:01:24 PM »

Hi kitz,

Just thought that I would let you know that I am still awaiting the results of the Exchange check from Tiscali.

The Config Test was supposed to have been completed by 17/06/2008 by BT.

Its the 23rd and am still awaiting the results!!!

Although my downstream SNR was at 11dB for most of the day today, it has dropped to 7dB now where it will now stay for the rest of the evening until I turn off the router.

My upstream SNR is a pathetic 29dB which I am guessing is causing the Upstream Sync to be 256kbps?

These are my line attenuation stats which I understand are very good and should allow me to achieve much higher Sync speeds than 4992kbps?

Down Atten: 30dB
Upstr Atten: 16dB

Regards and thanks for the advice

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 07:17:55 PM »

>> My upstream SNR is a pathetic 29dB

Thats good - the higher the better.  So why the 256k I dont know..  you could try a resync.

It would be interesting to see all the stats together immediately after a resync.This is the only time that we can take a guess at what your Target SNR is set at.
However due to the fact that your SNR has now dropped.. perhaps right now is not the best time to do this.. and its probably best doing this during the day.

Your attenuation is ok (the lower the better).  I'd expect a 30db line to sync at around 7.5 to 8Mb depending if interleaving has been applied.. and also depending on what target SNR is set.
-----

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 07:38:17 PM »

Hi kitz,

Thanks for the reply.

After a resync, the stats look something like this:-

SNR Down: 9dB
SNR Up     : 31dB

Line Atten: 30dB down          16dB up
Sync Down: 4960kbps
Sync Up     : 256kbps

Just lost sync, SNR Down went to 0dB and then had to resync!

I have tried endless resyncs to try and rectify the Upstream & downstream Sync but it hasn't made any difference.

When you say the higher the SNR, do you mean if my SNR Down was say, 12dB, then I should be able to achieve high speeds.

Also, regarding the Interleave, I have asked them about whether it is switched on or not, but they are yet to come back to me. Do you think that if I have it switched on, would I be able to gain any more speed out of my connection or not, as I think i was switched on before, although I don't know.

Is asking Tiscali the only way of finding out if interleave is on or not or is there an alternative way?

Thanks again

jid
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 07:41:20 PM by jid »
Kind Regards
Jamie

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17