Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL Max, sync speed, throughput and stability.  (Read 2253 times)

orainsear

• Reg Member
ADSL Max, sync speed, throughput and stability.
« on: September 03, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »

Take an example of an ADSL line which has synced at 3424 kbps.  This line has an bRAS profile of 3072 kbps and a maximum throughput of up to 3 Mbps.  If you resync towards the top end of the threshold for the same bRAS profile (say the maximum 3968 kbps) does the line become slightly less stable?

In short when you consider sync speeds within the same bRAS profile threshold does the stability of an ADSL max line depend on the throughput speed or the speed at which the line in synchronised?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ADSL Max, sync speed, throughput and stability.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 05:39:35 PM »

>> does the stability of an ADSL max line depend on the throughput speed or the speed at which the line in synchronised?

In short sync speed.

But theres a lot more to do with it than that such as the SNR Margin at that particular point in time - It can fluctuate.
The higher your SNR, the better it is, therefore the more chance of you syncing at the higher speeds.

When your SNRM drops too low, thats when errors start occurring and the line can become unstable and drop.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 06:27:30 PM »

Hi & thanks for the reply.  I'm fairly familiar with the issues of noise on the line and was curious about the sync rate so I can continue to squeeze the optimal performance out of it.  Syncing at the lowest possible rate for the IP profile is something that I have been actively doing and my own experience seems to indicate that I can get around an extra 1dB SNR margin by syncing at the lower end of the IP threshold, resulting in a slightly more stable connection.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 08:18:32 AM »

Syncing at the lowest possible rate for the IP profile is something that I have been actively doing and my own experience seems to indicate that I can get around an extra 1dB SNR margin by syncing at the lower end of the IP threshold, resulting in a slightly more stable connection.

Yes you may as well, since a higher sync wont give you any additional throughput speed... but the lower sync should offer more stability.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything