Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: No Connection  (Read 70825 times)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
No Connection
« on: June 05, 2008, 04:47:02 PM »

Hi kitz,

I haven't had an internet connection for two days now, and have reported it to my isp, Tiscal.

However, I have found that the router just cannot sync with the exchange?

What could be causing this? As my router is working fine, and have tried another socket,filter and modem etc?

Thanks

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: No Connection
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »

In view of your other thread in which you explained that your speeds have been reducing, it looks like you have an actual fault on the phone line. 

They have already tried to blame your equipment and you are connected at the master socket (but old style)  then I think theres no alternative but to insist that tiscali arrange for a bt engineer to test your line.  Insist that you are connected at the master socket and until fairly recently you used to be able to sync at 6.5Mbps and suspect degradation of the line.

Before you do that it may be an idea if you can borrow someone elses router - just to eliminate the fact that its not the router at fault.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:49:14 PM »

Hi kitz,

Thanks for replying. I have tried with my USB modem with same results.

I have been told that a 2nd line engineer will be calling tomorrow (phone) to run some line checks, as they have identified that no signals are being sent from the exchange through my line.

Is this common of an LLU line?

Thanks for the quick reply.

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 08:02:18 PM »

>> I have been told that a 2nd line engineer will be calling tomorrow (phone) to run some line checks, as they have identified that no signals are being sent from the exchange through my line.

Thats just their way of saying you cant sync to the exchange.  Cant believe youre on your 2/3rd day without sync and they are waiting till tomorrow to get 2nd line support to call you back. :/

I'm not exactly sure what line checks they are going to do..  If you dont have sync then...  afaik they cant do any of their standard line checks.
It needs passing to BTw, for a BT engineer to check.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 08:21:21 PM »

"they've identified there are no signals being sent on the line"

Wha' ?

I love some comments from ISP's....

No signal ? either it's a faulty card or port at the exchange which is normaly determined by clipping on at the exchange. With LLU equipment then I suppose if there is a card with nothing but faulty ports then the ISP coild deduce a faulty card. In which case a transmission engineer at the exchange.

How many times do i get a fault where the problem is the end users equipment or internal wiring yet the ISP has catagoricaly said the the end user there IS a fault on the line..... but no there isn't   >:(

With an LLU I would check sync at the mdf in the exchange, then stick a 60db load on and retest to make sure this is ok. If there's no sync on the mdf then it's a case of clipping on the llu output to make sure it's not the wiring between there and the mdf. beyond that It's up to the llu as to what to do next. with BTw equipment then it's straight to a lift ? shift.

If all is ok at the exchange then it's the NTE test socket and work outwards from there depending on what is found: either have I got sync and then the line stats

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 01:55:45 PM »

I have finally got my connection back today!

I was called earlier and wasn't in so they will be calling back at 4pm, so I will find out the issue then.

However the speeds are still quite pathetic! Sync: 4768kbps?

And the SNR is now lower than ever! 4dB!!!

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 08:53:59 PM »

They called earlier and all they told me was that there was a problem with the exchange sending signals through my phone line?

So basically there was a line fault!

However, my slow speeds still remain!

They have also told me that my line profile looks fine at their end and are running tests to rule out the exchange as the problem.

I have asked them if they will tell me what my line profile is.

Thanks

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 03:20:20 PM »

Hi kitz,

I have just turned my router on to find that my upstream SNR has gone up to 29dB!

Now meaning that my sync speed up is only 256kbps :-\

I guess this is something to do with my profile setting or something, although I am not aware that they have adjusted my profile in any way?

You advice would be most appreciated

Thanks

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 03:38:16 PM »

Is that your upstream sync speed? If so, it's probably the case that there was a lot of noise on the line at the time of the last re-sync, causing it to connect at a lower speed than normal; now the noise has subsided again, giving you a large upstream noise margin. This does sound very much like a line fault.
  Eric

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 03:53:47 PM »

Hi roseway,

Thanks for the reply.

I am in contact with Tiscali about this issue regarding the slow speeds and poor SNR rates etc.

And their Forums team, who I am in contact with, are going to be running some tests at the exchange to see if there are any problems there.

Although I do have a connection now, there are times when it looses sync a lot.

If they find no probs I will ask them to get a BTw engineer to run some line tests as recommended by kitz.

Thanks

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 04:20:44 PM »

Hi kitz,

Just to update you, I have spoken to tiscali and they have told me that I am on an  8MB Adaptive Line Profile?

They are now claiming that my slow speeds are being caused by that causing the line line to sync at its most stable rate, although before, I was easily downloading at 6.5mbps.

I do still believe that this is an Exchange/Line fault and that it needs to be rectified.

You advice would be most appreciated! ;D

Regards

jid :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

Mr_CheeZe

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 05:42:35 PM »

you probably still have an underlying line fault.
do you have a modern type nte5 with removable frontplate?
if not, theres a good chance it is very old and probably needs changing.
plug your (ordinary, non wireless)fone into each of the sockets in your house in turn, dial 17070 and then dial 2 for 'quiet line test'. listen.
if you hear any crackling or buzzing, it is probably affecting your broadband.
Openreach ADSL engineer

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 01:55:46 PM »

Hi,

BT are going to be doing a Config test at the Exchange tomorrow evening so at least I am getting somewhere.

Yes I do have the old type master box and may mention that if the exchange check doesn't improve anything.

As I have mentioned previously, the speeds were great before the switch to Tiscali LLU so I have ruled out my equipment and internal wiring.

Thanks

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 05:35:32 PM »

Well I am still waiting for the results of the check at the exchange as my broadband hasn't changed at all so there still must be a problem somewhere?

Is there a possibility that this is still a line fault as I asked them to put me on a 7meg profile which they did but then apparently the ADSL wouldn't sync, as I wasn't in I couldn't monitor it.

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 08:02:23 PM »

kitz

I am now beginning to think that my problems with the broadband speeds are seriously down to the incorrect setting of my line profile that is apparently 'Adaptive' 8mb?

I have asked Tiscali to put me to a 7meg profile which apparently didn't sync with the exchange and am still awaiting results from a Config test at my exchange.

Could you possibly explain what they will check at the exchange and why possibly my line wouldn't sync on a 7meg profile which I must have been on before going to their LLU network to be able to achieve speeds upto 6.5meg?

Thanks

jid
Kind Regards
Jamie

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

anything