Internet > Web Hosting & Web Design

Softaculous: To use, or not to use?

<< < (2/3) > >>

kitz:
I have the softaculous installer available to me on my hosting.   I used it a couple of times (years ago), but TBH I much prefer installing myself.
If memory serves correct I used it to install mediawiki the first time, but after a while it wasn't working very well with the updates  (mediawiki updates arent very user friendly anyhow).   So I now don't bother with them at all.

For SMF updates I would much prefer to go direct rather than wait for Softaculous to update.  I guess it has its uses, but my own preference is not to.

jelv:

--- Quote from: d2d4j on September 20, 2018, 02:43:18 PM ---You would need to be careful though if using same dB for live and dev. Usually where  dev are concerned, they have a second dB and just match the dB, which you can now do :)
--- End quote ---

I've done it both ways in the past. If using one database I've scripted the database (schema and data) and then done a global search and replace of the prefix.

jelv:
Thanks @Kitz

I was leaning towards a self install to "take back control" (where have I heard that before?).

Never having come across softaculous before I wasn't sure about it. The one thing that does look good is the easy setup and configuration of backups.

d2d4j:
Hi

Sorry softaculous is not for everyone, more so the advanced users but it can still serve a purpose and is better then a few years ago. About that time we were using simplescripts for 1 click installers.

@jelv, you could try it and see it if manually installing, you could always try the softaculous import so it makes backups

Talking of backups though, we use R1soft and you can access this directly from siteworx login, which covers MySQL

Many thanks

John

jelv:

--- Quote from: d2d4j on September 20, 2018, 06:06:13 PM ---Talking of backups though, we use R1soft and you can access this directly from siteworx login, which covers MySQL

--- End quote ---

Interesting - looking at that I think means I can forget about backups myself. Perhaps just downloading particular R1soft backups at key points.

How many backups do you keep?

Do I need to use Softaculous backups given you are running R1soft backups. If not is there any other benefit from importing an installation in to Softaculou?

I'm liking this more and more as I look around. Far better than what I've used before. My recent experience has been cpanel on UK2 hosting for a charity I help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version