Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TV on demand buffering  (Read 5237 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: TV on demand buffering
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 10:59:48 AM »

@SLM I don't quite see how mythtv would have helped my event.

I was just pointing out that if you record from Freeview broadcasts using a PVR, there shouldn’t be any buffering issues.  Mythtv is just my own choice of PVR, other PVRs also solve the buffering problems.

My own preference is to record from freeview, falling back on iPlayer only for things that I failed to anticipate.   As well as occasional buffering, iPlayer streaming has other drawbacks too, such as no support for surround sound audio.   Freeview in contrast does, occasionally, when the BBC can be bothered, provide 5.1 sound.   Not sure Bodyguard is 5.1, mind you, even on Freeview.   

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 01:35:01 PM »

@Jelv I'm using that allocated  by PN.
@SLM I do use a PVR, keeping On Demand for items missed, or clashed

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 01:41:00 PM »

For the BBC programmes it will be better to download the programme first and then watch it.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »

I make Sunday afternoon my time for looking at listings mag to choose programs and series to record. TBH, we hardly watch anything live, apart from news and morning output at breakfast.

BTW we're totally Freesat, as our Freeview choice is Lite from a local relay, or out of region full from Mendips. We're right under a hill, that blocks Rowridge, V&H.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 03:06:06 PM »

We're right under a hill, that blocks Rowridge, V&H.

A fellow central south coast person! We get pretty good reception to Rowridge. In fact I bought a cheap £15 box from the auction site a few months ago that does freeview HD and all 4/5 of them come in strong. Have freesat as well though as extra low down dishes are easier to do than roof aerials.

I find it really odd that you are getting buffering on any iplayer streams with ~25mbit. As you say the highest bitrate is just over 5mbit and I cant remember the last time I had live or catch up sources from there buffer (with pretty much the same connection speed as yours). From your OP you were watching the "bodyguard"? I have not been watching but am led to believe this has been phenomenally popular, so maybe this was a peak time event and the CDNs/BBC servers could not cope?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 04:00:14 PM »

BTW we're totally Freesat, as our Freeview choice is Lite from a local relay, or out of region full from Mendips. We're right under a hill, that blocks Rowridge, V&H.
You can't be that far from me - we are in Mere. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark - Motcombe?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 05:20:31 PM »

Not that near, 43 km by crow flying approx south-east, twixt Bo'mo and So'ton.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 03:53:59 PM »

Are you using your ISP's DNS? I believe BBC uses CDNs and the most appropriate CDN will vary so if you are using a generic DNS like Google's it might mean that you are not using the best one for you.

i don't believe that's an issue any more.
it was in the initial days of using non-ISP DNS but not any more i believe.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2018, 04:51:02 PM »

Re ISP DNSs. Once, when I had mislaid the primary and secondary I was told to use, i asked my son for his details. He is with same provider. Eventually I found my data, and changed back.

I cannot see how, but could I have marred my performance using incorrect DNS?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2018, 04:24:58 AM »

Yes, but it is only going to affect some things, such as web page load timing slightly. It can’t be the answer here. I would dig around in the web and find your own isp’s dns servers, or ask here, as they will be closest. 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 and the newer 1.1.1.1 and the opendns servers 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220 are all good too.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2018, 09:41:02 AM »

In my last post I was not meaning DNSs other than the ISPs, but the incorrect ones in the ISPs range, e.g
199.106.6.9 instead of 199.106.56.59

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 05:36:15 AM »

Sincere apologies if all of the following is well known.

Well, if you had entered the DNS values wrong, then some things would not work at all because all DNS lookups would fail. Routers usually send out suggested DNS values to machines in the LAN, so if the router had the correct values then that might mean things were ok anyway, unless you managed to override the correct data from the router. Routers often get correct correct DNS values direct values automatically the ISP delivered by the PPP protocol (If using PPP, which many ISPs are). So often one does not have to do anything at all. It is best not to configure DNS values at all, especially in the case where it is in a machine that might be moved around to a different network or change internet connection.

Some services would just work regardless, because they simply know IP addresses that need to be used and do not need to do any DNS lookups because they are not referring to things by domain name at all.
Pages: 1 [2]