Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TV on demand buffering  (Read 5235 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
TV on demand buffering
« on: September 19, 2018, 12:42:02 PM »

I hope you will forgive me, should this be in the wrong board.
My FTTC connection is not the greatest, synching at ~2.4Mb/s, so even at peak traffic throughput I'd think adequate for IPlayer.

Last evening we were watching Bodyguard, but it was spoilt by the frequency of buffering. The connection from router to STB is wireless, and direct path, through walls, upper stramit board, lower block, is ~6 metres..

Is it usual over such a distance for enough speed to be lost, that buffering results?

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: TV on demand buffering
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 03:02:11 PM »

2.5Mbps ? are you sure about that?
or do you mean 2.5MB/s ? (note the b or B - quite important!)

2.5Mbps would be struggling to do any on demand without buffering occuring

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 03:58:07 PM »

H Renloup,  My wireless system has also suffered for random buffering, but it is mainly due to network congestion, and or connected equipment.
My wireless system receiver is a TP link 4 port router, that feeds 1 television, 2 Panasonic recorder, 3 Oppo UDP 203, 4 Humax freesat recorder.
The Panasonic DVBT recorder can be really annoying at times, due to buffering. Yet the TV watching the same IPlayer progamme is not affected.
This is going thru 2 brick walls (1950's Bungalow) also 6m from transmitter (Fritzbox).
I have used this program in the past to map out best spots in the house (Free Trial).
https://www.tamos.com/products/wifi-site-survey/wireless.php?r1=google&r2=awd_tg&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwuns3aLH3QIVgrHtCh327gDBEAAYASAAEgIX_fD_BwE

Other things to note are other neigbours wireless channel numbers, mobile phone apps come in handy for this, keep your numbers well away from theirs!
I use channel 13 @ 2.4Ghz and channel 100 @ 5Ghz.
Any numbers using the same or adjacent couple of channels, will suppress your signal :(

Hope any of this helps...

Robin
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 10:41:00 PM »

2.5Mbps ? are you sure about that?
or do you mean 2.5MB/s ? (note the b or B - quite important!)

2.5Mbps would be struggling to do any on demand without buffering occuring
  Oops silly me, but put simply 24500kbps. :-[
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:13:22 AM by renluop »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 11:26:16 PM »

As your connection is so slow, I hope you are only trying to use standard quality and not HD. Even using standard quality it is likely that any other internet activity at the same time is going to cause issues.

How fast does my internet connection need to be?

BBC iPlayer programmes stream at up to 5 Mbps or megabits (5000 kbps), depending on the quality. Our standard quality version is 1.5 Mbps (1500 kbps).

You’ll actually need a little more bandwidth than this to watch programmes on BBC iPlayer. If you think your internet connection is slower than expected, please contact your internet service provider.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 01:10:49 AM »

He means 24.5Mb. He has FTTC.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 06:19:09 AM »

I have ever heard of FTTC at 2.5 Mbps, so assuming we mean 2.5MBps ie bytes, so 20Mbps ie bits per second, perhaps ? Lower case b means bits, upper case B means bytes.

Or perhaps 2.5 Mbps ie bits per second is the speed of the wireless lan not the FTTC.

Anyway, precious little chance of getting some services to work at such a low speed, since they require 3Mbps (ie bits per second).

Would need to run a network cable, and if the device does not accept an ethernet connection into it, then place a wireless access point suitably near the device in question, on the end of the network cable.

A wireless LAN speed of 2.5 Mbps is the rock bottom speed that you might get when the station is desperate, with extremely attenuated signal, either by walls, foil-backed plaster or great distance. Interference from neighbours could well be having a disastrous effect, so switching channels, preferably switching to one of the many free 5GHz frequencies would cure that. However, if attenuation due to walls has not be cured first, switching from 2.4GHz to 5GHz will make things worse, because 5GHz has worse penetration of barriers according to some.

A really good wireless access point is your friend here.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 09:12:59 AM »

OK roll back on this

From here.
DSL uptime: 1 days, 17:00:55
Data rate:   4811 / 22834
Maximum data rate:   4811 / 23405

To summarise, it looks like he is currently using a PN HubOne  and had asked for a suggestion for his possible failing Billion which wouldnt set up a wireless connection. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 09:33:11 AM »

I'm totally confused - is it a wireless or a connection issue? He did specifically say the sync speed.

My FTTC connection is not the greatest, synching at ~2.4Mb/s

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 11:35:38 AM »

I am in the sweet violets, aren't I? :-[ Careless with decimal points and missings 0s! ::)

As our leader said above, I was at the time of that quote working with the Plusnet router. However, with the assistance of the Billion Forum worked around the problem with the 8800NL, and am using it once more.
It does synch faster than the Hub; currently 24500 kbps

@parkdale
I am quite frugal with my setup. Connected by wireless are
Desktop, Ipad, Humas PVR and Internet Radio. The last works even with router OFF, courtesy someone's open connection.
Edit
What the item in your link does, is interesting, though I do not have a compatible adapter.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:11:46 PM by renluop »

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 03:14:06 PM »

I am in the sweet violets, aren't I? :-[ Careless with decimal points and missings 0s! ::)

As our leader said above, I was at the time of that quote working with the Plusnet router. However, with the assistance of the Billion Forum worked around the problem with the 8800NL, and am using it once more.
It does synch faster than the Hub; currently 24500 kbps

@parkdale
I am quite frugal with my setup. Connected by wireless are
Desktop, Ipad, Humas PVR and Internet Radio. The last works even with router OFF, courtesy someone's open connection.
Edit
What the item in your link does, is interesting, though I do not have a compatible adapter.

Usually I use a laptop (any wifi adapter, built in, or otherwise, will do) and knockup a house plan template in a drawing program, if my memory serves me correct :fingers: save as bmp, then walk around the house mapping the points on the drawing...
To get a heat map
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 06:45:11 PM »

Good extra wireless access points are your friend, Renluop, don’t cost the earth and just plug into your router or switch and either replace or augment your existing wireless LAN with other areas of broadcast signal closer to where they are needed. But you need to get a link to those wireless access points (WAPs) from your main switch or router and this is either done with a network cable, which might physically be a pain, or else at a push it can be done with a wireless link because I have successfully done so.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 12:01:40 AM »

Getting back to the original question, BBC iPlayer does sometimes buffer owing to problems at BBC, no amount of home improvements will fix that.   There was one obscure documentary (sorry, can’t remember what) that I tried to watch any number of times, but always failed due to buffering within a minute or so of start of program, despite the fact that other iPlayer material played perfectly.

I’d assume that the obscure documentary above was probably hosted on some low throughout server.   Popular material should be hosted on higher bandwidth servers.   Then again, Bodyguard is hugely popular, with big demand on servers no matter how it is hosted.   Buffering on Bodyguard owing to BBC’s own limitations would surprise me a little, but not a lot.  :-\

This is why I still maintain my mythtv, with bit-for-bit perfect rendition, from OTA digital HD broadcast, of any BBC material worth watching. :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »

@SLM I don't quite see how mythtv would have helped my event.

@parkdale (September 19, 2018, 03:58:07 PM) Mentioned the neighbouring networks. FWIW, the maximum found by a scanner was this morning, (picture). Mostly it's me (Billion) @ 100% and the TNCAP @ 30%.
The only network on channel 6 is mine, and its doppelganger. Why that appears, can anyone tell me?

In the light of @SLM's contribution, I now think, it's something to be lived with.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 10:11:58 AM »

Are you using your ISP's DNS? I believe BBC uses CDNs and the most appropriate CDN will vary so if you are using a generic DNS like Google's it might mean that you are not using the best one for you.
Pages: [1] 2