Computers & Hardware > Networking

TV on demand buffering

<< < (2/6) > >>

j0hn:
He means 24.5Mb. He has FTTC.

Weaver:
I have ever heard of FTTC at 2.5 Mbps, so assuming we mean 2.5MBps ie bytes, so 20Mbps ie bits per second, perhaps ? Lower case b means bits, upper case B means bytes.

Or perhaps 2.5 Mbps ie bits per second is the speed of the wireless lan not the FTTC.

Anyway, precious little chance of getting some services to work at such a low speed, since they require 3Mbps (ie bits per second).

Would need to run a network cable, and if the device does not accept an ethernet connection into it, then place a wireless access point suitably near the device in question, on the end of the network cable.

A wireless LAN speed of 2.5 Mbps is the rock bottom speed that you might get when the station is desperate, with extremely attenuated signal, either by walls, foil-backed plaster or great distance. Interference from neighbours could well be having a disastrous effect, so switching channels, preferably switching to one of the many free 5GHz frequencies would cure that. However, if attenuation due to walls has not be cured first, switching from 2.4GHz to 5GHz will make things worse, because 5GHz has worse penetration of barriers according to some.

A really good wireless access point is your friend here.

kitz:
OK roll back on this

From here.

--- Quote ---DSL uptime: 1 days, 17:00:55
Data rate:   4811 / 22834
Maximum data rate:   4811 / 23405
--- End quote ---

To summarise, it looks like he is currently using a PN HubOne  and had asked for a suggestion for his possible failing Billion which wouldnt set up a wireless connection. 

jelv:
I'm totally confused - is it a wireless or a connection issue? He did specifically say the sync speed.

--- Quote from: renluop on September 19, 2018, 12:42:02 PM ---My FTTC connection is not the greatest, synching at ~2.4Mb/s

--- End quote ---

renluop:
I am in the sweet violets, aren't I? :-[ Careless with decimal points and missings 0s! ::)

As our leader said above, I was at the time of that quote working with the Plusnet router. However, with the assistance of the Billion Forum worked around the problem with the 8800NL, and am using it once more.
It does synch faster than the Hub; currently 24500 kbps

@parkdale
I am quite frugal with my setup. Connected by wireless are
Desktop, Ipad, Humas PVR and Internet Radio. The last works even with router OFF, courtesy someone's open connection.
Edit
What the item in your link does, is interesting, though I do not have a compatible adapter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version