Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

BT NTE 4U/7A

(1/2) > >>

daddum61:
I have to do some work on an old site that has this BT NTE installed, but i can find no info anywhere on the NTE
They are using it for pure comms (IP based) not telephony.
Currently the connection to the unit is by 4 serial links that look like they are running at 2meg
however the old router that connected to the NTE has died so i am replacing it with a new cisco router

I think the NTE interface is x21 but not sure if it is DTE or DCE, however i note that there is an rj45 socket next to each serial(x21) port on the NTE

does anyone know if i can just connect using ethernet rather than serial cables ?
there are some dip switches on the unit but i have no idea what they do
thanks in advance

dee.jay:
What are these circuits doing? X.21 is very old now!

What was the old router that was connected to the NTE?

burakkucat:
Ah, an Access Synchronous Digital Hierarchy NTE 4U/7A.  :)

You might like to review one of my old threads.

The network connection, via the optical fibre, is to the SDH in BT-land. The NTE can support four individual access connections. (The four TRIBs.)

Each tributary can accept a connection via one of the following methods --

* BNC connectors, unbalanced, 75 Ohm
* Modular 8P8C connectors, balanced, 120 Ohm
* X21 serial, 15-pin D, DCE

--- Quote from: daddum61 on September 18, 2018, 12:37:51 PM ---. . . the old router that connected to the NTE has died so i am replacing it with a new cisco router

I think the NTE interface is x21 but not sure if it is DTE or DCE, however i note that there is an rj45 socket next to each serial(x21) port on the NTE

--- End quote ---

Those modular 8P8C sockets are not Ethernet interfaces but 120 Ohm balanced interfaces, so you will have no success in connecting a device that expects Ethernet signals.

Please describe the "old router" that has died (make & model) and how it was connected to the ADSH unit. What Cisco router are you thinking of using?

How many of the tributaries are in use?

daddum61:
the old router is a DEC RouteAbout Central !

i was going to use a cisco CAB-SS-X21-MT to connect from my cisco serial WIC to the NTE
this cable is described as DTE so should i get the CAB-SS-X21-FC ?
this is described as DCE but it is the wrong gender I think for the NTE

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: daddum61 on September 19, 2018, 03:42:29 PM ---the old router is a DEC RouteAbout Central !

--- End quote ---

So rather elderly.  :o

--- Quote ---i was going to use a cisco CAB-SS-X21-MT to connect from my cisco serial WIC to the NTE
this cable is described as DTE so should i get the CAB-SS-X21-FC ?
this is described as DCE but it is the wrong gender I think for the NTE

--- End quote ---

To the best of my knowledge, the X21 ports of the ASDH NTE 4U/7A are classified as DCE. If documentation can be found for the DEC RouteAbout Central, perhaps that might clarify the situation.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version