Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iMessage incredible delays  (Read 7028 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
iMessage incredible delays
« on: September 17, 2018, 08:53:31 PM »

I am sometimes getting delays of half an hour, an hour or whatever until Janet gets iMessage messages from me. Anyone else getting this horrific problem? (Because I really really need to get help when I am in pain.)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: iMessage incredible delays
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:54:16 PM »

I suspect it's to do with Apple's servers being overloaded due to the launch of iOS 12.

You might want to install Whatsapp as a backup..

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 12:22:38 AM »

May happen when the recipient has an Apple account and a device capable of receiving iMessage, but has no wifi or mobile data, or has disabled data.   In that case, iMessage falls back on SMS texts.   But it seems to wait a very long time, before resorting to SMS, an hour may be about right.

There are other quite valid scenarios when even SMS texts can be delayed, for hours or even days.   Bottom line, SMS or iMessage simply cannot be relied upon when time is of the essence, despite what 99% of teenagers may think.   If it is urgent, make a phone call. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 07:09:04 AM »

I can’t understand why iMessage doesn’t at least try (I am assuming anyway) to just directly contact another device over IPv6 if available - would need to go indirectly via server the first time to ask the other end to pierce its firewall, that’s the way I think it would have to be done. But after that has been set up, I don’t see any need for long delays, provided both ends are contactable, yet there have been countless cases where I know that the Mrs Weaver is on the network because I can access her machine immediately via other direct methods.

If iMessage is not delivering the goods, and I am desperate to get some help, I now use Find iPad or whatever it is called and get it to remotely command her machine to start making alert noises, and that gets her attention if she has put her iPhone or iPad down somewhere. This started when she lost her iPhone, we used that app and tracked it down to a bed of nettles with the help of a very good detailed map at first and then the pinging noise.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 08:08:36 AM »

That falls down in that iMessages are stored in the cloud and also can be delivered to multiple devices for a single recipient, and also multiple recipients. My iMessages are potentially delivered to an iPad, a watch, a phone and two macs. They all keep global state of messages received/unread/deleted etc. And lots of people don’t have IP V6

Keeping the whole thing in sync would be a nightmare.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 08:59:47 AM »

Find my iPhone is probably a reasonable approach if you have access to the same iCloud account, as it plays (I think?) the sound even if the device is muted.

I still don’t think you can rely on it being synchronous.  But once you receive the email saying ‘a sound was played’, pretty sure you can assume the process completed.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 01:13:24 PM »

Or a pair of walkie talkies...

Or two DECT phones that have the paging features...

Or two Echo Dots and use the intercom...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 05:09:32 PM »

Or a Bedlam (a.k.a. Mayhem) tone-caller, a Ringing Generator 2A, a length of CW1308 single-pair cable and a push-button?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 12:31:00 AM »

Andyfitter makes a very good point about those features that I had not thought of. It doesn’t mean that I could not do direct messaging, but it does mean I could not rely on it for every case and I would also have to send stuff to a server since I want stuff to be saved.

If I were designing the iMessage app, I would make sure that I always send both a direct message if it makes sense and one to the server, both back-to-back. For the direct message to multiple recipients thing, you could consider doing multicast where it makes sense. It would be worth doing because of the huge increase in reliability- would work even if the internet is down but your correspondents are on the same LAN. And in the same LAN-case, you can always use IPv6 100% because you can use linklocal addresses. The designers could put in a bit more work. More testing. As an enhancement, you could tell the server to bother or not bother contacting certain destination machines if you have received a direct ack from first, so that would mean a race with say a 2ms delay before sending the message to the server in order to allow a direct ack to get back to you first.

I would do a test to see if a direct message works and then remember the result. When a direct message fails then you have to fall back to the nasty old method and retest.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »

I have had this slowness on my old iPhone 4 that I use when trying to send an 'iMessage', what you have to do is delete All of the messages to that person and start afresh on your device.
It is a known problem for Apple.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.