Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

Causing a Resynch

(1/7) > >>

Weaver:
How can I conveniently cause a modem to resync? - from my bed. I had some trick once but I have forgotten.

Tools available:

* logging in to a modem’s admin interfaces vie http or telnet - no longer available to me because I now don’t know how to talk to a modem through the Firebrick router plus VLAN mux.
* Firebrick’s own facilities? Maybe? - cannot think how at the moment.
* clueless.aa.net - easily available but if there is a suitable trick, I cannot remember what it is

Ixel:
The only method I can think of is via clueless. FireBrick won't cause a re-sync unless you can get it to telnet into one of the modems and issue the appropriate command. The only other alternative I can think of, since option 1 and 2 are unavailable, is to have a remote controlled power socket (something like this perhaps - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-Remote-Control-Sockets-Pack/dp/B004A7XGH8). Maybe not that specific one however since I've noticed some bad reviews on it. You could probably get something like it which connects to the local area network and can therefore be controlled via LAN or WAN, but those might be pricey.

Weaver:
@ixel very helpful - thank you very much indeed.

I forget how to do it via clueless though.

That remote mains switch is not for me, emits rf interference, nasty, and says you cannot use several next to one another. I might very well want to power-cycle individual modems, as opposed to the whole lot, and so that would mean having multiple units. And in any case, you say it has bad reviews.

Something that works over a LAN would be a viable option.

In any case though, the clueless method would be far better. I am not keen on power-cycling modems anyway since it takes them ages to come up, which is very annoying. Even when you just order them to reboot, using the appropriate command in the web admin ui, it takes an annoying amount of time and seems (unsurprisingly) no better than a cold boot. So presumably there is no difference due to performing vs not performing possible optional one-off hardware test sequences on cold boot only.

j0hn:
adsl connection --up

Will trigger a resync of the xDSL link.
You can bring it down, and then back up, by using

adsl connection --down
then
adsl connection --up

but I'm confident that 'adsl connection --up' on its own triggers a resync if already connected.

Weaver:
Unfortunately I have not worked out how to talk to the modems through the two obstacles in the way, as mentioned in my earlier post. But that would be a good tip, as it is bound to be miles faster than doing a reboot just to get the desired effect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version