Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Causing a Resynch  (Read 6920 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Causing a Resynch
« on: September 15, 2018, 10:12:19 AM »

How can I conveniently cause a modem to resync? - from my bed. I had some trick once but I have forgotten.

Tools available:
  • logging in to a modem’s admin interfaces vie http or telnet - no longer available to me because I now don’t know how to talk to a modem through the Firebrick router plus VLAN mux.
  • Firebrick’s own facilities? Maybe? - cannot think how at the moment.
  • clueless.aa.net - easily available but if there is a suitable trick, I cannot remember what it is

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Causing a Resynch
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 10:46:54 AM »

The only method I can think of is via clueless. FireBrick won't cause a re-sync unless you can get it to telnet into one of the modems and issue the appropriate command. The only other alternative I can think of, since option 1 and 2 are unavailable, is to have a remote controlled power socket (something like this perhaps - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-Remote-Control-Sockets-Pack/dp/B004A7XGH8). Maybe not that specific one however since I've noticed some bad reviews on it. You could probably get something like it which connects to the local area network and can therefore be controlled via LAN or WAN, but those might be pricey.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:50:37 AM by Ixel »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 11:16:49 AM »

@ixel very helpful - thank you very much indeed.

I forget how to do it via clueless though.

That remote mains switch is not for me, emits rf interference, nasty, and says you cannot use several next to one another. I might very well want to power-cycle individual modems, as opposed to the whole lot, and so that would mean having multiple units. And in any case, you say it has bad reviews.

Something that works over a LAN would be a viable option.

In any case though, the clueless method would be far better. I am not keen on power-cycling modems anyway since it takes them ages to come up, which is very annoying. Even when you just order them to reboot, using the appropriate command in the web admin ui, it takes an annoying amount of time and seems (unsurprisingly) no better than a cold boot. So presumably there is no difference due to performing vs not performing possible optional one-off hardware test sequences on cold boot only.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »

adsl connection --up

Will trigger a resync of the xDSL link.
You can bring it down, and then back up, by using

adsl connection --down
then
adsl connection --up

but I'm confident that 'adsl connection --up' on its own triggers a resync if already connected.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 01:25:06 PM »

Unfortunately I have not worked out how to talk to the modems through the two obstacles in the way, as mentioned in my earlier post. But that would be a good tip, as it is bound to be miles faster than doing a reboot just to get the desired effect.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 01:28:21 PM »

I said earlier that I had forgotten how to do the good thing via clueless. It seems to me though that triggering a target SNRM reset using clueless will make the link resynch - no? A bit too drastic though. I am trying to remember whether or not there is a better way.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 02:04:19 PM »

I haven't tested it, but I've just looked on clueless for a BT ADSL line, and one of the options is "Kill (BT)".  The hover text (which I'm guessing you don't see from your ipad) says "Clear stuck session from BT end, causes resync".

Sounds like it's worth a try.

Also, I would be happy to give you a hand configuring your firebrick to give you access to your modems.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 02:07:41 PM by DaveC »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 06:11:37 PM »

If it were me I'd hit the button in Clueless that is labelled Reboot:P

I get to that by selecting the circuit and then in the Router section click Router Settings. Reboot is at the bottom of the page (the very last button).
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 06:33:49 PM »

If it were me I'd hit the button in Clueless that is labelled Reboot:P

I get to that by selecting the circuit and then in the Router section click Router Settings. Reboot is at the bottom of the page (the very last button).

Surely that is a misnamed (and mislabelled) button? I would be very surprised if A&A allow end users to "reboot" A&A hardware. Perhaps the button should really be named (and labelled) as "circuit retrain" or "circuit resynchronise"?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 08:16:17 PM »

@burakkucat - to clear up confusion, that will be for CPE, routers managed by Aa and it will presumably remotely control the CPE by TR-069.

I do not have any such thing in clueless though, I don’t have the devices set up as modem-routers, and I don’t modems managed by AA, even though I did buy one of my many units from them. Anyway, TR-069 will not work for me anyway as I have taken careful steps to prevent it being used. This is because I am using a custom firmware image in the modems, provided by our very own Johnson, and also I have a small number of per-modem configuration tweaks, setting ADSL2-only for one. So I do not want any chance of firmware updates being triggered remotely or anyone mucking about with the config.

But it is a shame not to have that facility.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 09:40:16 PM »

Surely that is a misnamed (and mislabelled) button?

Well how would you label a button that (using TR-069) makes the router reboot?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 11:23:35 PM »

Well how would you label a button that (using TR-069) makes the router reboot?

That functionality is not what Weaver requires, nor has in existence with his equipment.  :no:  He wishes to initiate a retrain of his xDSL (ITC-T G.992.3) circuit(s). His router, a Firebrick FB2700, does not need to undergo a warm restart.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 11:41:54 PM »

In this context, I think "router" is being used to include routers not being routers (i.e. in bridge mode).  IIUC, in a "B10A (Bridge mode) -> Firebrick" scenario, A&A's TR-069 talks to the B10A.

But as Weaver has disabled TR-069 control of his devices, it's not an option.

EDIT: After a little investigation, it seems I was wrong.  A&A can send a configuration to the router to enable bridge mode, but after that, A&A have no further access to it (which makes sense). 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:53:46 PM by DaveC »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 12:38:29 AM »

> but after that, A&A have no further access to it (which makes sense).

I wonder why that is?

I did wonder about that.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 04:06:36 AM »

A bridge modem should have no access to the internet, and rightly so imo.
If necessary a static route could be set up to establish a link between modem - router to give such access.

AA uploading a config to enable bridge mode stops the modem accessing the internet to receive any further updates.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything