Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Inside the Huawei MT992 G.FAST modem  (Read 8857 times)

smallal

• Reg Member
Inside the Huawei MT992 G.FAST modem
« on: September 14, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »

I had G.FAST installed a couple of days ago, BT sent the HH6XA router through the post but the engineer was kind enough to let me have a MT992 off his van as well.
Had a peek inside the MT992 & noticed that although it only has 1 LAN port fitted, the board is made to have 2 ports. Could this be a way to hack it as with the HG612 VDSL model I wonder.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Inside the Huawei MT992 G.FAST modem
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 02:40:31 PM »

Do you own a USB to TTL serial cable?
Would it be something you would be willing to attempt?

edit: the original MT992-10 that the OpenReach variant comes from only has a single Ethernet port.

https://e.huawei.com/en/products/fixed-network/access/ft/mt992
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 02:48:52 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 03:20:09 PM »

Very interesting. Also worth a fortune on ebay right now! They are very hard to get hold of.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 04:26:05 PM »

Very interesting.

Agreed.  :)

However, after close scrutiny of both images, I do not see any obvious location (for header pins) to provide access to the serial console.  :(  I suspect that it will need someone with an oscilloscope, to probe various possible locations, to identify where such connections could be made.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 06:26:45 PM »

Out of interest, did you also get a "G.fast" faceplate fitted on your master socket?  If so, I think there would be interest to see photos of the internals of that as well.

Thanks!

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 07:00:18 PM »

I don't think there is a G.FAST plate as such.
The engineer said I already had the correct plate, its a MK4.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:17:59 PM by smallal »

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 07:29:16 PM »

I don't think there is a G.FAST plate as such.
The engineer said I already had the correct plate, its a MK4.

Interesting the engineer said that - there are photos circulating (I think originally from openreach documents) of a faceplate with "g.fast" written on it, but maybe that's just cosmetic (advertising g.fast), and the internals are the same as the MK4.

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 01:26:35 AM »

I did notice the engineer had a new backbox & faceplate with him, but it was the same as I already have (MK4), so perhaps the photos were early versions of this plate.
Certainly it works fine as I'm getting the full 330/50 service (I'm only 80-90m from pod)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 11:39:08 AM »

I did notice the engineer had a new backbox & faceplate with him, but it was the same as I already have (MK4), so perhaps the photos were early versions of this plate.
Certainly it works fine as I'm getting the full 330/50 service (I'm only 80-90m from pod)

Very nice! It's great to know that for those who can at least get it, are seeing the full 330Mbps.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 11:15:58 AM »

Bad news, BT/Openreach are currently trialling self-install for the BT Ultrafast service.
If all goes well they intend to go live across the country by June.
So the engineers carrying the MT992 modems on their vans won't now visit.
Lets hope some of the promised 3rd party G.Fast kit hits the market soon.

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 12:43:49 AM »

Ok second image shows a dot on a chip (Normally this is done with Bios chips be it on a mainboard or GPU),

Are you able to read the writing on that chip, as this might be a good place to start, specially since that chip is surrounded by pads for NAND/NOR flash.

Also do you know what that shield is holding?

toxo

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 05:55:12 PM »

Sorry to necropost but I've got one in pieces in front of me right now. The chip on the underside with the dot marked on it is a 128mbit SPI flash chip part 25Q128A13e40

Mine has a different LAN filter chip too, it's not the MNC H4001 that's shown in the first image on here but rather a Delta LFE8731. Does the same job but from a different vendor. Interestingly the LAN filter parts are meant to be for up to 4x100MBit interfaces but I guess they still work just fine on a gigabit port. Cost cutting from Huawei no doubt.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 07:12:25 PM by toxo »

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 10:11:31 AM »

Sorry to necropost but I've got one in pieces in front of me right now. The chip on the underside with the dot marked on it is a 128mbit SPI flash chip part 25Q128A13e40

Mine has a different LAN filter chip too, it's not the MNC H4001 that's shown in the first image on here but rather a Delta LFE8731. Does the same job but from a different vendor. Interestingly the LAN filter parts are meant to be for up to 4x100MBit interfaces but I guess they still work just fine on a gigabit port. Cost cutting from Huawei no doubt.
And can you confirm the access to its Web GUI is locked?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 12:30:04 PM »

And can you confirm the access to its Web GUI is locked?

I'm yet to see any evidence 1 exists, nevermind locked.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

toxo

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 12:32:17 PM »

Likewise, there is no evidence that there is one. I added a 2nd RJ45 port to the blank points on the board but unsurprisingly that doesn't work, you never get a link. It likely is disabled in the firmware, and may additionally also require some combination of surface mount resistors to 'present' it to the SoC. Difficult to trace that as it is a multi layered PCB and I have no datasheet or pinout for the SoC. Packet capture on the ethernet interface that does work yields nothing, regardless of powering on holding reset, pressing and holding reset once booted, etc etc. I've not found a combination that makes any difference. The 2nd ethernet interface doesn't magically spring into life if you power on holding reset, for example.

Next step is to remove that shield and see what's underneath. I'm tempted to order a buspirate too, to lift whatever is in that SPI chip on the underside.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:35:05 PM by toxo »
Pages: [1] 2