Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: GEA results - Is our line that bad!  (Read 22317 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: GEA results - Is our line that bad!
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2018, 07:10:25 PM »

Wow! I'm impressed! Notes from the engineer states that we denied access? Complete lies!
As already stated, we needed time to sort the dog out, he said he would check the line outside and come back!

It doesn't help that he turns up out of the blue! Now I'm sure we'll get a charge! Anyone have a clue what a Virtual solution is?

TIA

That answers the question why it has been reappointed then.

Wearing my OR business hat for a minute .... appointments are made between 0800-1300 and 1300-1800 ..... we can and will. turn up at any point between the appointment times .... ie: someone will be first at 0800, and someone will be last at nearly 1300. I still get gob-smacked when folk open the door after I've damn near smashed it down, saying they didn't think we'd be there so early !! #thicksods

Also, the service provider will have requested that any pets are locked away somewhere (backyard, different room etc), and that they haven't smoked in the house for the past 2hrs.

Again, the amount of thick you-know-what's we come across, that have a fag hanging out of their gob upon our arrival saying that their pet lion-killing dog is, "Friendly most of the time" ... is unbelievable.

Taking my business hat off now and I will say that if I arrange an appointment for any kind of service, I will ensure I am available between the required times and will have met the 'required-of-me' expectations.

I do feel you have been kinda hard done to mpmc, in as much as if I do have contact with the EU and the 'wait time' is acceptable (10mins tops), then I would wait ...... anything other than that and it's adios amigos.  :)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2018, 07:32:46 PM »

I have to say, I had an engineer appointment on the 7th, AM. 750am I had a call from Jessica to say she would be here in 10 minutes, and she was lovely. Talked me through everything and did a great job. It was a pleasure.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

mpmc

• There is a fault... with my brain.
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2018, 09:02:40 PM »

That answers the question why it has been reappointed then.

* Wearing my OR business hat for a minute .... appointments are made between 0800-1300 and 1300-1800 ..... we can and will. turn up at any point between the appointment times .... ie: someone will be first at 0800, and someone will be last at nearly 1300. ** I still get gob-smacked when folk open the door after I've damn near smashed it down, saying they didn't think we'd be there so early !! #thicksods

*** Also, the service provider will have requested that any pets are locked away somewhere (backyard, different room etc), and that they haven't smoked in the house for the past 2hrs.

Again, the amount of thick you-know-what's we come across, that have a fag hanging out of their gob upon our arrival saying that their pet lion-killing dog is, "Friendly most of the time" ... is unbelievable.

Taking my business hat off now and I will say that if I arrange an appointment for any kind of service, I will ensure I am available between the required times and will have met the 'required-of-me' expectations.

**** I do feel you have been kinda hard done to mpmc, in as much as if I do have contact with the EU and the 'wait time' is acceptable (10mins tops), then I would wait ...... anything other than that and it's adios amigos.  :)

We weren't even aware we had an appointment. PN just made one, and told us we'd hear more within ~72 hours, nothing about an appointment. And it was supposed to be an "external" fault. The OR guy didn't even ring, he just turned up (yes the phone was plugged in). We didn't stop him from entering, just needed a few mins (5 at most) to sort the dog out.

We're always up early as we were expecting the shopping an hour-or-so later. No problems when we're aware someone is coming. OR are usually pretty good at ringing up first to let us know they're on the way. Saying that we have had a few that never did & just turned up anyway, but that was when we had an appointment and we knew about it.

We always make sure the dog is out of the way, if we know someone is coming, it's just less hassle that way. We've never been told to do this by any ISP, and I've never heard that smoking rule before (horrible habit and someone here smokes, absolutely hate it).

This is absolutely fair during an appointment slot.
---

If we'd honestly known he was coming, or he'd rang before hand none of this would've happened and we'd have been ready.
VM + BT via rotting aluminium/copper blend, hmm tasty!

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2018, 09:31:35 PM »

Have you looked through all the tickets to make sure there wasn't one about an appointment? It wouldn't surprise me to find there is something there but you were not emailed/alerted to the appointment.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

mpmc

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2018, 09:44:04 PM »

Have you looked through all the tickets to make sure there wasn't one about an appointment? It wouldn't surprise me to find there is something there but you were not emailed/alerted to the appointment.

Yep, I went through all the tickets, and the only one that mentions the "appointment" is open. The one before that was 1:01pm, Saturday 8 Sep 2018, and that was for opting out of marketing.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2018, 07:40:47 AM »

Fair do's, mpmc ..... and I apologise for what was as an abrupt-sounding post. You can not be held responsible in any way, shape or form if you hadn't been informed of an engineering visit.

Regarding the pre-visit phone call. We call it RARA (Ring Ahead - Ring After). Two things ... I will never ring my first 0800 visit as it is not in working hours and I think has a potential of annoying the EU. Also, I never do the 'Ring After' (nor does anybody at all I know), as it's akin to stalking and can be misconstrued as stalking in certain circumstances. It actually happened with a lad on our patch about 10yrs back (No, not me  :P ).

I just get quite protective over things of this nature, regarding appointments and engineers. You really would not believe the cr5p we have to put up with sometimes, through EU confusion, ISP wrongly appointed times, EU's houses being total and utter sh1t-holes that are health hazards, junkies and drunks, irate EU's ............ luckily, these are in the minority in comparison .... but still too many for my liking.

:)

mpmc

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2018, 10:57:15 AM »

Fair do's, mpmc ..... and I apologise for what was as an abrupt-sounding post. You can not be held responsible in any way, shape or form if you hadn't been informed of an engineering visit.

Regarding the pre-visit phone call. We call it RARA (Ring Ahead - Ring After). Two things ... I will never ring my first 0800 visit as it is not in working hours and I think has a potential of annoying the EU. Also, I never do the 'Ring After' (nor does anybody at all I know), as it's akin to stalking and can be misconstrued as stalking in certain circumstances. It actually happened with a lad on our patch about 10yrs back (No, not me  :P ).

I just get quite protective over things of this nature, regarding appointments and engineers. You really would not believe the cr5p we have to put up with sometimes, through EU confusion, ISP wrongly appointed times, EU's houses being total and utter sh1t-holes that are health hazards, junkies and drunks, irate EU's ............ luckily, these are in the minority in comparison .... but still too many for my liking.

:)

No need to apologise, It wasn't abrupt-sounding at all. It was actually quite informative, as is this post. I put the blame on plusnet for not telling us a date and a time if an internal check was needed.  I've complained to PN about it, not that I expect anything to come of it. :wall:

I was impressed with PN to begin with but I'm starting to regret joining them now, especially if they send out engineers without OKing it first. I will certainly be annoyed if we get a charge for this call-out.  :crazy:

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2018, 11:16:52 AM »

Not sure if something is not working correctly with Plusnet or BTOR but I too have had an engineer call to test/check internally with no appointment.  Luckily I was in as I do not see how the engineer could have done as good of a job as he did without access - if this is common practice BTOR must waste quite a bit of end users and engineering time.  End result of my fault saga was really positive though but I really had to work for it.

One thing that needs to improve is communication as it was poor. It would have been much less stressful experience if BTOR and Plusnet talked to each other and kept the end user informed together with the engineers being a bit more straight with the end users.

From the posts on this forum I do get the impression that BTOR are trying to improve though and my problem was close to a year ago now.

mpmc

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2018, 11:48:00 AM »

Not sure if something is not working correctly with Plusnet or BTOR but I too have had an engineer call to test/check internally with no appointment.  Luckily I was in as I do not see how the engineer could have done as good of a job as he did without access - if this is common practice BTOR must waste quite a bit of end users and engineering time.  End result of my fault saga was really positive though but I really had to work for it.

One thing that needs to improve is communication as it was poor. It would have been much less stressful experience if BTOR and Plusnet talked to each other and kept the end user informed together with the engineers being a bit more straight with the end users.

From the posts on this forum I do get the impression that BTOR are trying to improve though and my problem was close to a year ago now.

Exactly this. credit to OR though someone did ring, but why this was OR instead of PN I don't know. I thought OR weren't suppose to "deal" with end users.  :hmm:

The re-do is today, let's hope it goes to plan!  :fingers:

mpmc

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2018, 06:27:59 PM »

Well, that was a waste of time. The poor guy was here from 2-6pm and now it's worse!  :'(

From what he told my brother..

• Blamed our router(s), went to try his own, couldn't get a connection. *
  • There's supposed to just 2 wires going into our house, he went in the manhole & found 6! "replaced the lot" (how?), no change, still a FAIL.
  • Thinks the wires from the manhole to the house are duff, says we need a Local Network Engineer

* I got my brother to install the plusnet hub one directly to the test socket.

---

I don't know what he did but at one point the plusnet hub was syncing at 28400 down and 3475 up! SNRM for down was 3.3! up was 6.2!

We're now on..
Code: [Select]
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:25:13
6. Data rate: 3664 / 20132
7. Maximum data rate: 3664 / 23374
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 6.2
9. Line attenuation: 32.6 / 26.5
10. Signal attenuation: 32.6 / 23.1

What happens next? No idea..

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2018, 07:41:26 PM »

Again .... can't glean anything concrete from that information  :no:

All I can do is guess what has happened ??. Which is, that the multi-core underground cable feeding your house has gone faulty.

We would normally have either 1pr, 2pr or 5pr cable feeding the premises, so "6 wires" doesn't fit anywhere ??? But it sounds like he might have tested the spare pairs within the cable and found them to all be faulty ???

Another confusing bit is the, "Local Network Engineer" ......... if the original engineer has 'UG (Underground) skills' with which to work in the manholes, then he should be eligible to input an A55 document to provide a new UG cable from manhole to premises ???

As always, there may be different geographical working practices to my area, and of course how 'we' are interpreting what has been said and done may easily be off-target ??

mpmc

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2018, 11:32:50 PM »

Again .... can't glean anything concrete from that information  :no:

All I can do is guess what has happened ??. Which is, that the multi-core underground cable feeding your house has gone faulty.

We would normally have either 1pr, 2pr or 5pr cable feeding the premises, so "6 wires" doesn't fit anywhere ??? But it sounds like he might have tested the spare pairs within the cable and found them to all be faulty ???

Another confusing bit is the, "Local Network Engineer" ......... if the original engineer has 'UG (Underground) skills' with which to work in the manholes, then he should be eligible to input an A55 document to provide a new UG cable from manhole to premises ???

As always, there may be different geographical working practices to my area, and of course how 'we' are interpreting what has been said and done may easily be off-target ??

There was a bit of a language issue, as the guy was Chinese or Korean and he spoke very fast! I couldn't even make out what he was saying and I was upstairs listening in! I heard the guy before him fine. Bare in mind we're midlanders here and we speak fast too, but this guy was on another level  :giggle: Maybe he meant six pairs? Who knows.

There appears to be no response from PN yet. Honestly I wish I could PM you our number so you could take a quick look (if you wanted :)) to see if you can find anything your end without getting in trouble.  :angel:

No one here seems to have a clue! And it's not like they haven't tried!  :comp:

mpmc

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2018, 05:25:49 PM »

Asked PN for an update, engineer had this to say.

Engineer Notes / e-chat
17/09/2018 16:55
I cannot complete this task because I do not have the skills required to complete the task and could not obtain assistance on the day. I am passing to an engineer with track and locate equipment because the fault has been proven underground but I have been unable to locate the exact position of the fault. The line has been proven good to the DP, Pse see notes. No fault conditions were detected towards the end customer. Please see additional information PQT and VDSL tests are passed in NTE5A however when the customer router connected amber broadband light on. Connected my spare router still same issue. Spoke to DCOE and checked authentication and all ok. Did lift & shift to new fibre ports E & D 790 still same. Replaced spare pair from DP130 to NTE5A still same. The AC balance is little bit low which is 50. Couldn't locate the joint between the DP130 to the customer premises so that track & locate engineer require to investigate.

I understood some of that, can anyone (BS maybe?) translate the engineer speak please?  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2018, 06:22:37 PM »

Asked PN for an update, engineer had this to say.

I understood some of that, can anyone (BS maybe?) translate the engineer speak please?  ;D

Now then, that's better ....  :)

I suppose it's pretty much easy to follow, but as I see it the engineer is obviously wanting the underground joint between the DP and your premises found by using a 'Cat and Genny'.
I've no idea why, but as the years roll by this seems to have become a separate skill these days, hence the request for another engineer to perform said task.

It appears all is well and good at the DP, but the AC Balance figure from there to your premises is very low at 50dB, digital circuits like a higher value than that, some quote 60dB as an absolute minimum ... others 65dB.

Aprrox 1/3 of that statement is auto-generated by our job-closure template and can be confusing when compared to the engineers notes ..... for example the bit that says 'No fault conditions were detected towards the end customer' .... ignore that.

I do have a slight niggle in that the engineer appears to be chasing an 'authentication issue', (he's the man on site and will know far better than I, sat on my settee), I thought you were reporting a different fault condition ??

Anyhow's ... at least something's happening and hopefully the issue will be put to bed soon ??. :)

mpmc

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2018, 07:30:41 PM »

Now then, that's better ....  :)

I suppose it's pretty much easy to follow, but as I see it the engineer is obviously wanting the underground joint between the DP and your premises found by using a 'Cat and Genny'.
I've no idea why, but as the years roll by this seems to have become a separate skill these days, hence the request for another engineer to perform said task.

It appears all is well and good at the DP, but the AC Balance figure from there to your premises is very low at 50dB, digital circuits like a higher value than that, some quote 60dB as an absolute minimum ... others 65dB.

Aprrox 1/3 of that statement is auto-generated by our job-closure template and can be confusing when compared to the engineers notes ..... for example the bit that says 'No fault conditions were detected towards the end customer' .... ignore that.

I do have a slight niggle in that the engineer appears to be chasing an 'authentication issue', (he's the man on site and will know far better than I, sat on my settee), I thought you were reporting a different fault condition ??

Anyhow's ... at least something's happening and hopefully the issue will be put to bed soon ??. :)

Thank you ever so much for translating :)

I was a bit confused by that too. Our router(s) connect fine! As I said, I merely asked for a GEA test, which failed (and is still failing) as our upload didn't make sense compared to the download, that and the weird clicking noise. And as you know a potential HR was shown.

I still think those extra wires he found were our neighbours, hence why he couldn't auth?

Poking your engineers crystal ball here.. What happens if the UG engineer, can't find the fault?

TIA
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

anything