Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: GEA results - Is our line that bad!  (Read 22322 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: GEA results - Is our line that bad!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 03:21:39 AM »

Quote from: kitz
@j0hn or others.   With not being on re-tx I cant recall -  Re the upstream is the default still off or has that changed recently when they amended downstream?

Still off by default on the upstream.
Retx High on the upstream shows there has likely been or still an issue with high upstream errors.
Remember line profile in Plusnet GEA tests (doubt it's just Plusnets though) are 13 days old.

I just listened to that audio clip.
Can that very fast repetitive clicking be heard on a wired telephone? wow if so.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 08:40:34 AM »

Right click and save-as.
Doh! Thank you! :-[
FWIW I hear a very rapid clicking. It seems faster than a sewing machine and very regular.

mpmc

• There is a fault... with my brain.
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 10:07:16 AM »

Still off by default on the upstream.
Retx High on the upstream shows there has likely been or still an issue with high upstream errors.
Remember line profile in Plusnet GEA tests (doubt it's just Plusnets though) are 13 days old.

I just listened to that audio clip.
Can that very fast repetitive clicking be heard on a wired telephone? wow if so.

I honestly can't remember, but I can hear it with the dial-tone.

The engineer turned up unexpectedly while I was still in bed, and we weren't quite ready for him, everything all over the place as we're clearing out clutter!  :blush: :-[

Thankfully he's given us - well, I say us but my brother/mother - time to tidy up a little  :) and gone to check the line, will update when I know more!
VM + BT via rotting aluminium/copper blend, hmm tasty!

mpmc

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 12:22:12 PM »

Update:

Just had a phone call from OR - The engineer couldn't complete the work as his shift had ended, someone's coming back on the 17th! Not sure what he did though as the PPP connection dropped and came back. Line sounds the same too.  :shrug2:

He said he'd be back, but I guess not, so I have no idea what's going on!

Any insights are most welcome!  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 12:36:09 PM »

With no further detail, there's nothing to go on I'm afraid ....... one thing I don't understand is, 'Someone's coming back on the 17th' ... if an engineer has a task and is 'out of time', he either retains the same task for the next day or it goes back in the work-stacks for someone else to pick up.

Giving a definite date of the 17th (5 days from now), means the task has been re-appointed. Why ... is the bit we don't know ??

mpmc

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 03:42:11 PM »

With no further detail, there's nothing to go on I'm afraid ....... one thing I don't understand is, 'Someone's coming back on the 17th' ... if an engineer has a task and is 'out of time', he either retains the same task for the next day or it goes back in the work-stacks for someone else to pick up.

Giving a definite date of the 17th (5 days from now), means the task has been re-appointed. Why ... is the bit we don't know ??

I honestly have no idea, all that was asked was that he could give us a minute to move the dog (she's old), he said ok he'll check the line outside and come back, PPP then went dead not long after, I assume line too but didn't check. Then 2 hours went by and we get a call from OR on the mobile saying he was "from OR and calling on behalf of our ISP Plusnet."

Something strange is going on now though as the line checker now shows the bridge tap as U - see attached. The last test date seems a bit off too!

:shrug2:

Edit: Having used the line to talk to my brother on a mobile, i can indeed still hear that clicking, especially when there's voice.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:04:33 PM by mpmc »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 06:48:15 PM »

Hmmmm .... tis' a strange one indeed. Or, at least to us on the outside looking in it appears strange .... there usually a very good reason why things are what they are.

Please keep us posted on how it goes though, if you will ??  :)

mpmc

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 11:50:56 PM »

Hmmmm .... tis' a strange one indeed. Or, at least to us on the outside looking in it appears strange .... there usually a very good reason why things are what they are.

Please keep us posted on how it goes though, if you will ??  :)

I will do.

Quote from: LauraB on the PN Forums
In the meantime,  (if it's possible) are you able to connect the router to the test socket with a normal DSL cable (not extended) just so we can rule out that wiring?

I very much doubt it's that CAT5 cable, it's one the OR guy installed when we first had VDSL. I remember the guy showing me the line tester - directly connected to the faceplate - It was showing as a fail then too. I'll eat my hat if it is that cable, but I'll get my brother to connect to the test socket as requested tomorrow to rule it out.  :rain:

Well we shall see..

mpmc

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2018, 02:16:44 PM »

Another update: I've connected the PN directly to the test socket using the filter/cables provided by plusnet

The PNH1 reports.

6. Data rate:   3440 / 26475
7. Maximum data rate:   3440 / 28110
8. Noise margin:   6.1 / 4.1
9. Line attenuation:   32.5 / 26.9
10. Signal attenuation:   32.6 / 23.5
11. Data sent/received:   0.8 MB / 3.2 MB

---

Something still smells fishy, that upload seems rather low..

I seek the wisdom of the OR engineers who haunt this forum  ;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:19:20 PM by mpmc »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2018, 05:14:33 PM »

With the very limited stats the Plusnet Hub One provides and without connecting any test equipment to the line I don't see any more info being at hand.

Your connected to the test socket still? If so you can ask Plusnet to run another GEA test and see if there's a bridge tap reported.

The upload is below the clean range but not anything way below what we regularly see.
A pair swap or any existing fault on the D-Side being fixed would be your only hope of the upstream increasing.

edit: auto correct embarrassment again.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:37:45 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mpmc

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2018, 07:09:38 PM »

With the very limited stats the Plusnet Hub One provides and without connecting any test equipment to the line I don't see any more info being at hand.

Your connected to the test socket still? If so you can ask Planet to run another GEA test and see if there's a bridge tap reported.

The upload is below the clean range but not anything way below what we regularly see.
A pair swap or any existing fault on the D-Side being fixed would be your only hope of the upstream increasing.

Thanks for your reply j0hn!

I did ask but apparently they can"t "Thanks @mpmc, I'm afraid as you have an engineer booked it won't actually allow me to run a GEA test, I know you weren't really having many issues before anyway, but can you see any difference your side at all?"

:shrug2:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2018, 07:52:13 PM »

. . . you can ask Planet to run another GEA test . . .

"Planet"? Hmm . . . "Plusnet" methinks.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mpmc

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2018, 09:48:42 PM »

I suspect the fault may be due to the thunder/lightning we had  - due to the hot weather not long ago - that took out our complete NTE.

From my experience OR engineers have it rough, the 6 we had (3 that were called out too but went to the wrong address) were constantly being called for other jobs to the point where they had to keep stopping to answer the phone!  :whip:  One poor bugger was called out to us at 7am to fix our line after a few others couldn't, he REALLY wasn't happy.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2018, 10:04:43 PM »

I suspect the fault may be due to the thunder/lightning we had  - due to the hot weather not long ago - that took out our complete NTE.

There is also a possibility that a degree of damage was caused to the cabling and joints. Not enough to be present as a "hard" fault but sufficient to give intermittent problems.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mpmc

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2018, 03:37:23 PM »

Wow! I'm impressed! Notes from the engineer states that we denied access? Complete lies!
As already stated, we needed time to sort the dog out, he said he would check the line outside and come back!

It doesn't help that he turns up out of the blue! Now I'm sure we'll get a charge! Anyone have a clue what a Virtual solution is?

TIA
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

anything