Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: GEA results - Is our line that bad!  (Read 22323 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: GEA results - Is our line that bad!
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 07:55:44 PM »

I won't be any more specific than that, for privacy reasons you understand.

Very wise.  The only reason I asked about the checker results is that the 57m reading looked odd when compared to your sync speed.   If your line was only 57m then you have a big problem which is why I needed to check what the BTw checker estimated you should be getting.
It's obviously an error , from where from I have no idea.   It's possible that it uses the attenuation reading from the modem to estimate line length.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 08:02:38 PM »

I'm honestly, not sure what to do TBF. The plusnet staff have said I could raise it as a fault, but I'm wary of the costs of the call out.

The only master socket in the place (rented) is in the lounge/dining room, there are no other sockets just the cat5 extension the OR guy installed to upstairs, which is connected to the VDSL port on the faceplate. Even connecting directly to the master test socket we still get the same speeds. Unless there is a secret hidden second master socket we don't know about :lol:

We had such an initial farce getting VDSL in the first place as it we were originally only getting 10mbps, we ended up being without internet for 3 months, and then another few months when someone slammed us.

The chances are your line is banded (capped), so using the router connected in the test socket wouldn't bear any fruit unless you had left it plugged in there for a decent period of time for the DLM to reverse whatever stabilisation factors it has applied. Or, an engineer DLM reset is performed which cuts out the above waiting period and is basically akin to having your circuit newly provided.

EDIT: whilst I was typing this, kitz posted up TWO replies of which I only saw the last one stating the DLM profile is up to 55M, so ignore my bit above.  :)

I really wouldn't be concerned about a call-out fee, or whatever terminology they use, there are TWO potential fault conditions affecting your circuit using Plusnets own test request facilty.

1) Bridged Tap
2) Potential HR

You appear quite certain the issue does not lie within your premises, so I wouldn't hesitate on raising a fault ticket.  :) 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:18:40 PM by Black Sheep »

mpmc

• There is a fault... with my brain.
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 08:06:19 PM »

Thanks ever so much for all the info folks, I really appreciate it!  :)

Silly question time, what causes a HR fault?

I honestly wish I still had the old HG612 modem, so I could at least see all the line stats, but the engineer who came to fix the line before swapped it for an ECI one when I showed him the line stats after previously unlocking it!  :( The ECI wasn't as good as the HG612 on our line, nor was the TP-W9980, the linksys x6200 in modem only mode, in use now is much better!
VM + BT via rotting aluminium/copper blend, hmm tasty!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 08:17:05 PM »

There's a few scenarios can cause a HR (High Resistance) fault.

For example, dry/poorly soldered joints on PCB boards (such as routers/line cards in the fibre cabinet), poorly terminated wiring at any point from the fibre cabinet through to your data extension socket, overhead wires rubbing on tree branches or the like, damp or corrosion on the D-side cables (again, from the Cabinet to your premises).

It depends on the severity of the HR as to the severity of the action DLM takes against your circuits connection, by applying stabilisation/correction factors.

Kitz has outlined above a method for ascertaining how severe the HR is ...... a well-developed HR fault manifests itself as a crackling noise on the landline phone, and causing umpteen transmission errors on your router, and more often than not a subsequent loss of connection altogether. It doesn't sound like you have that particular level of HR ??

mpmc

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 08:43:43 PM »

There's a few scenarios can cause a HR (High Resistance) fault.

For example, dry/poorly soldered joints on PCB boards (such as routers/line cards in the fibre cabinet), poorly terminated wiring at any point from the fibre cabinet through to your data extension socket, overhead wires rubbing on tree branches or the like, damp or corrosion on the D-side cables (again, from the Cabinet to your premises).

It depends on the severity of the HR as to the severity of the action DLM takes against your circuits connection, by applying stabilisation/correction factors.

Kitz has outlined above a method for ascertaining how severe the HR is ...... a well-developed HR fault manifests itself as a crackling noise on the landline phone, and causing umpteen transmission errors on your router, and more often than not a subsequent loss of connection altogether. It doesn't sound like you have that particular level of HR ??

Thanks for the detailed explanation all! I think I'll first wait for the "line to settle" (I know it doesn't actually do this but PN will insist I wait), then I'll check the extension cable and ask for a DLM reset.

mpmc

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 06:50:33 PM »

Well, PN have raised it as an external fault, not sure if any of you guys on here had anything to do with that!  :)

I decided to do a little bit of investigation myself, I recorded 17070 via my obi110 and asterisk.

I know this is very unlikely to show anything as the NTE filters the signals - the obi is directly connected to the NTE at the bottom, VDSL at the top - and there could be some noise from the obi in the recording, but interestingly I can hear a faint clicking noise, interference or the obi's power brick?

I've attempted to attach it to this post for your listening pleasure, any input welcome! :)

Too large, have a link instead.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 06:55:51 PM »

Link brings up nothing. :(

mpmc

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 07:00:19 PM »

Link brings up nothing. :(

Really, Anyone else having issues accessing?

Code: [Select]
mark@mark-desktop2:~$ wget --spider http://markclarkstone.co.uk/kitz/qlt.wav
Spider mode enabled. Check if remote file exists.
--2018-09-11 18:59:05--  http://markclarkstone.co.uk/kitz/qlt.wav
Resolving markclarkstone.co.uk (markclarkstone.co.uk)... 104.28.16.71, 104.28.17.71, 2400:cb00:2048:1::681c:1147, ...
Connecting to markclarkstone.co.uk (markclarkstone.co.uk)|104.28.16.71|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 958444 (936K) [application/octet-stream]

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 07:04:37 PM »

Really, Anyone else having issues accessing?

I can download the file without any problem.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 07:10:07 PM »

Same here.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 09:18:23 PM »

Able to access fine thanks. 

Im not sure if it may be compression (or my ears), but even when I turn the volume right up I can't particularly hear anything that causes me concern.   I can hear a slight digital type ticking but its actually clearer than my own line. :/

>> not sure if any of you guys on here had anything to do with that!

I don't think so...  but one interesting point I noticed the other day when looking at your post on the the PN forums, the ISP rep (from memory - cant recall exact wording) suggested you go through the fault process.   If by any chance it does come back as a 'no fault' and a charge...  then I would be quoting back at them and disputing any charge due to what the rep said ;)

Good luck :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 11:05:01 PM »

Re the link, I must be stupid or something, but all that happens, when I click on it, is that I arrive at same page, or  a blank page, if I open in a new tab.

Weird: not me! ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 11:12:04 PM »

Im not sure if it may be compression (or my ears), but even when I turn the volume right up I can't particularly hear anything that causes me concern.   I can hear a slight digital type ticking but its actually clearer than my own line. :/

I really coudn't hear anything that concerned me. I must admit that the recording appears to have been made at a very low level and increasing the gain at this end could cause distortion.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mpmc

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 11:15:06 PM »

Re the link, I must be stupid or something, but all that happens, when I click on it, is that I arrive at same page, or  a blank page, if I open in a new tab.

Weird: not me! ;)

Right click and save-as.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 12:57:29 AM »

I had several faults including at least one high resistance fault on my new line and at one point my wife could hear distinct crackles when plugging an old-fashioned conventional phone into the test socket and dialling the quiet line number. (We have no phone service on the line, it is DSL-only.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8