Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: GEA results - Is our line that bad!  (Read 22314 times)

mpmc

• There is a fault... with my brain.
GEA results - Is our line that bad!
« on: September 10, 2018, 02:49:35 PM »

Hey folks,

I asked for a GEA test for our line since moving to plusnet a few days ago (went live on the 8th), and from the result - from what I can gather - it doesn't look good!

The results are here, I'm basically here to ask you guys for your expert opinions on the results, should a fault be raised or is the line basically a lost cause?

TIA
VM + BT via rotting aluminium/copper blend, hmm tasty!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: GEA results - Is our line that bad!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »

Welcome to the forums.

You answered your own question by producing the test results. See the bit that says .... 'Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report' ..... that means you have a fault somewhere and PlusNet should get an engineer out.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 02:56:44 PM »

To add ...... silly test systems mention that an appointment isn't required, (indicating the test system thinks the fault is outside your premises), yet also mentions you have a 'Bridged Tap' on your circuit .... which in 99% of cases are inside the premises.

I would humbly suggest you make an appointment for an engineer to come to your house to rectify the issue.

I haven't got the time to go into depth about how to self-help regarding 'bridged taps' .... but I'm sure one of our retired members will be along shortly.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 03:07:15 PM »

Downstream Speed    24.1 Mbps
Estimated Line Length In Metres    57.5

What does the BTWholesale checker return re speed estimates that you should be getting for your line?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mpmc

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »

To add ...... silly test systems mention that an appointment isn't required, (indicating the test system thinks the fault is outside your premises), yet also mentions you have a 'Bridged Tap' on your circuit .... which in 99% of cases are inside the premises.

I would humbly suggest you make an appointment for an engineer to come to your house to rectify the issue.

I haven't got the time to go into depth about how to self-help regarding 'bridged taps' .... but I'm sure one of our retired members will be along shortly.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

My god that was fast, thanks :)
That was exactly what was confusing me, fault but no engineer required  ???, thanks for clearing that one up.

The bridge tap thing is interesting, how would we go about locating this? We only have one line going into the premises, and there is no other socket or termination we can see! However there is a small manhole cover right outside our path that I've seen BT OR pull out a crap ton of cables many times over the years. We've had our line lifted-and-shifted once too.

:D

@kitz: I took this a few days ago.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »

Just out of interest, do you know roughly how far away your PCP/FTTC cabinet is from your home?

Estimated Line Length In Metres   57.5

Seems a bit off doesn't it?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mpmc

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 06:00:31 PM »

Just out of interest, do you know roughly how far away your PCP/FTTC cabinet is from your home?

Yes! Using https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm says the distance is 1,740m (exchange?) and google says it is about 0.5 miles using postcode.  :-\

oh, I forgot to mention, the csw "faster broadband" site lists our postcode as being under contract 3 for FTTP by the end of 2019, but who knows!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:06:32 PM by mpmc »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 06:22:14 PM »

It does rather! and why I wondered what the checker said.  ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mpmc

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 06:39:48 PM »

I'm honestly, not sure what to do TBF. The plusnet staff have said I could raise it as a fault, but I'm wary of the costs of the call out.

The only master socket in the place (rented) is in the lounge/dining room, there are no other sockets just the cat5 extension the OR guy installed to upstairs, which is connected to the VDSL port on the faceplate. Even connecting directly to the master test socket we still get the same speeds. Unless there is a secret hidden second master socket we don't know about :lol:

We had such an initial farce getting VDSL in the first place as it we were originally only getting 10mbps, we ended up being without internet for 3 months, and then another few months when someone slammed us.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 07:06:48 PM »

Tough call.   The line is syncing at 24Mbps which is within the Clean range of 20 to 31.3 Mbps.

You mention that all the internal wiring is OR installed after originally only getting 10Mbps thus it's unlikely to be on your side of things, but I see the point about worrying about a possible no fault found fee :(

Apols if I missed it, what was the reason for asking for a GEA test.  Is there something which is affecting the line?
Does your modem monitor such things as CRC and Errored seconds? Does it frequently disconnect?

>> Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service.

If there was a HR fault it usually displays first in the upstream.   
I'd also try a Quiet Line test to see if you can hear any noise on the physical line (17070 Option 2).
Other symptoms could be the dsl connection dropping when the telephone rings or when the phone is in use.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 07:08:36 PM »

With the little information I have been able to glean from the various posts in this thread, I believe that CMCHP_P10 is located in Castle Road, Hartshill. The exchange building, CMCHP, can be seen in Camp Hill Road.

I wonder if my learned friend in such matters, j0hn, has been able to find any other pieces of the jigsaw?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mpmc

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 07:33:19 PM »

Tough call.   The line is syncing at 24Mbps which is within the Clean range of 20 to 31.3 Mbps.

* You mention that all the internal wiring is OR installed after originally only getting 10Mbps thus it's unlikely to be on your side of things, but I see the point about worrying about a possible no fault found fee :(

** Apols if I missed it, what was the reason for asking for a GEA test.  Is there something which is affecting the line?
Does your modem monitor such things as CRC and Errored seconds? Does it frequently disconnect?

>> Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service.

*** If there was a HR fault it usually displays first in the upstream.   
I'd also try a Quiet Line test to see if you can hear any noise on the physical line (17070 Option 2).
Other symptoms could be the dsl connection dropping when the telephone rings or when the phone is in use.

*: Yes, all OR installed, even replaced the faceplate, and then the complete unit when lightning struck our line & blew it not long ago.
**: There was no reason, I was never able to get one from BT, just wanted to see how our line was performing.
**: I've done a quiet line test previously, and again now, no crackling, but there is a very slight sound of fuzz. I'll have to record a sample and upload it.

When we were with BT the line was stable but would drop in bad weather, lightning, heavy rain etc. We are actually getting higher sync on plusnet compared to BT too, so I'm not sure what that is about as it should just be the same service.  :P

mpmc

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 07:40:50 PM »

With the little information I have been able to glean from the various posts in this thread, I believe that CMCHP_P10 is located in Castle Road, Hartshill. The exchange building, CMCHP, can be seen in Camp Hill Road.

I wonder if my learned friend in such matters, j0hn, has been able to find any other pieces of the jigsaw?  :-\

You Sir/Madam/Cat/Dog (pick one  :)) are correct, and if you go to the bottom of Trentham Rd, I am on one of those streets that follow, I won't be any more specific than that, for privacy reasons you understand.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 07:45:09 PM »

You Sir/Madam/Cat/Dog (pick one  :)) are correct, and if you go to the bottom of Trentham Rd, I am on one of those streets that follow, I won't be any more specific than that, for privacy reasons you understand.

Of course.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 07:46:16 PM »

so I'm not sure what that is about as it should just be the same service.

In theory yes.  Its possible that the move could have caused some adjustments to the DLM profile.  Current profile is

Code: [Select]
0.128M-55M Downstream 6dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Retransmission High
Retransmission = High for the upstream   :hmm:

@j0hn or others.   With not being on re-tx I cant recall -  Re the upstream is the default still off or has that changed recently when they amended downstream?

@mpmc.  If default is still off, then re-tx high could be an indication that there has been a lot of upstream errors which may fit with a HR type fault.
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

anything