Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: GEA results - Is our line that bad!  (Read 22334 times)

mpmc

• There is a fault... with my brain.
Re: GEA results - Is our line that bad!
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2018, 11:35:27 PM »

Another update.. A BT line engineer rang  :congrats: and wanted to come look at our socket. From what my brother said, the guy was a bit vague, he replaced a few wires (again), said he told off the Asian guy for not noticing the problem something about a bunch of wires that should've been removed  :shrug2:

Hopefully will know more when Plusnet update us! Not sure if that appointment for Thursday still stands or not.  :shrug2:
VM + BT via rotting aluminium/copper blend, hmm tasty!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2018, 11:50:02 PM »

This is developing into quite a saga. On the positive side, you are getting some attention . . . How good is the attention remains to be seen.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mpmc

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2018, 12:37:34 AM »

This is developing into quite a saga. On the positive side, you are getting some attention . . . How good is the attention remains to be seen.

Indeed, Plusnet must really be poking OR. I did another line test and there's still that faint clicking though. I guess this is as good as it gets for this line..

Line stats from my x6200 don't look much different.
Code: [Select]
  Downstream Rate: 25497 Kbps
  Upstream Rate: 4523 Kbps

I'd like a lot more stats but Linksys only provide the basics. I would connect one of the home hubs but they don't have modem only mode.  :( There are very few vdsl openwrt supported about, ones that don't need a soldering iron!

mpmc

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2018, 04:56:10 PM »

This is getting silly!

Plusnet
I've tried to run a GEA test on your line but unfortunately it's saying "Data not available from OR Test" which implies that there may still be an issue. Please can you keep an eye on your connection over the next day or so and let us know how you get on? If you experience any further problems with your connection we can escalate this back to our suppliers for further investigation - I've cancelled the appointment that was booked in for tomorrow afternoon for now.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 05:00:05 PM by mpmc »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2018, 05:58:25 PM »

If an Openreach technician was to write out an A1024 for that section of underground cable and submit it, ultimately, that cable section would be replaced. I can only assume that the relevant criteria have not been matched.  :-\

mpmc

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2018, 06:25:50 PM »

If an Openreach technician was to write out an A1024 for that section of underground cable and submit it, ultimately, that cable section would be replaced. I can only assume that the relevant criteria have not been matched.  :-\

Thanks for your reply :) I have no clue what an A1024 is :p.

There appears to be no notes from the engineer this time, he was a different kind of engineer though, one that does the phone lines, from what my brother said he'd replaced some wires and "improved our broadband as best he could, from 45% to 55%", percent of what, I have no clue!
As I previously mentioned, the line doesn't seem to be any different, the upload has improved slightly but it is still pretty poor and that clicking is still present on the line, the engineer didn't mention anything about that.

I also requested that the appointment is cancelled, if it's no longer required, as I suspect we would've been charged for the visit and the engineer turning up and saying "I don't know what they've sent me out for!" I left it up to Plusnet though as they have more info than we do.

So, I suspect we're basically stuck with a dodgy line, at least until FTTP! I really really hope we don't get any lightning, heavy rain or someone else around here complains about their line as that generally means curtains for our broadband!

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2018, 06:54:42 PM »

Get it moved to AAISP. They will sort OR out.

Edit: not correct to blame BT, but OR.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2018, 07:21:45 PM »

AAISP helped me sort out a problem on my Plusnet line long before I moved to them. That's the main reason I moved to AAISP when I called time on Plusnet. I wanted to know that the support people on the other end of the line when I called about a problem knew what they were talking about!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2018, 07:52:57 PM »

I have no clue what an A1024 is :p.

It's the means by which Openreach personnel log/report defective infrastructure/plant. 

There appears to be no notes from the engineer this time, he was a different kind of engineer though, one that does the phone lines, from what my brother said he'd replaced some wires and "improved our broadband as best he could, from 45% to 55%", percent of what, I have no clue!

He would have been a PSTN (network) technician, rather than a multi-skilled technician who would normally attend for an Internet access/broadband circuit problem.

The only parameter, of which I am aware, that is quoted in terms of percentage is the circuit's AC balance. For a good, reliable, broadband based Internet access service the AC balance of the pair should preferably be 60% or higher. Perhaps Black Sheep will be able to comment, when he next passes?

mpmc

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2018, 11:47:58 PM »

Edit: not correct to blame BT, but OR.
AAISP helped me sort out a problem on my Plusnet line long before I moved to them. That's the main reason I moved to AAISP when I called time on Plusnet. I wanted to know that the support people on the other end of the line when I called about a problem knew what they were talking about!

Sadly AAISP is a little too expensive, especially given the usage caps, we'd hit those before a month is over (3 people using Netflix,Twitch, Sky Go/On demand and online game downloads).

I actually chatted to an AAISP rep over IRC about our line as we'd been slammed and BT wouldn't tell us who the receiving ISP was, AAISP weren't allowed to tell us but they did go and check our line!  I can see why they're expensive, you do get what you pay for.

It's the means by which Openreach personnel log/report defective infrastructure/plant. 

He would have been a PSTN (network) technician, rather than a multi-skilled technician who would normally attend for an Internet access/broadband circuit problem.

The only parameter, of which I am aware, that is quoted in terms of percentage is the circuit's AC balance. For a good, reliable, broadband based Internet access service the AC balance of the pair should preferably be 60% or higher. Perhaps Black Sheep will be able to comment, when he next passes?

Thanks for explaining that :) much appreciated! And thank you to everyone who's posted on this thread, it's been more help than you know :)

For now though it looks like this mess is over, I don't think it's going to get any better. I will of course update if anything changes!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2018, 08:35:11 AM »

Perhaps Black Sheep will be able to comment, when he next passes?

I've nothing more to add really, B*Cat ..... it would take forever to 2nd guess what may have happened and to then explain the subsequent steps for each scenario ??

It does on the surface appear to be a catastrophe though .......  :(

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2018, 01:51:33 PM »

Mpmc it might be worth telling them that, that it is a bit too expensive - ‘what can you do’? There was a previous post about ‘gaming the system’ to reduce costs, doing something complicated with rotating changing allowances or something.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2018, 03:15:07 PM »

Sadly AAISP is a little too expensive, especially given the usage caps, we'd hit those before a month is over (3 people using Netflix,Twitch, Sky Go/On demand and online game downloads).

Is your typical monthly usage (download only) more than 800GB? If not you can definitely game the system and pay an average of only £7.50 per month over the cost of the basic Home::1 with 200GB allowance.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

mpmc

« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2018, 03:27:24 PM »

Mpmc it might be worth telling them that, that it is a bit too expensive - ‘what can you do’? There was a previous post about ‘gaming the system’ to reduce costs, doing something complicated with rotating changing allowances or something.

Yep, I saw that, unfortunately, I`m really bad with numbers, and I doubt I`d remember to do the juggling correctly!  :D

Is your typical monthly usage (download only) more than 800GB? If not you can definitely game the system and pay an average of only £7.50 per month over the cost of the basic Home::1 with 200GB allowance.

We use about 1.5TB a month  :angel: :angel:

On a different note, another OR guy called, asked why we opened another fault.  ??? Told him the guy had already been on Tues and I had already asked Plusnet to cancel the Thurs (today) appointment, obviously they didn't..   :-\ He went on to explain...

• The engineer that came removed a load of wires that had been tacked on over the years!
  • Due to our line length, 800km from the cab, 25mbps is the best we can get.
  • They can`t do much about low upload.
  • Our line is aluminium which is crap for broadband - I knew alu was bad, but didn't know we had it

So folks, this is what we`re left with until FTTP or whatever.  :'(

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2018, 03:42:10 PM »

That is bad news :(
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8