Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: GEA results - Is our line that bad!  (Read 22530 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: GEA results - Is our line that bad!
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2018, 08:20:25 PM »

Hmmm ?? The $64,000 question ??

Trying to get a handle on your job, and I would say (again, guesswork from my sofa), that you have had a decent engineer thus far. He appears to have spent a decent amount of time and effort on the task.

So, it is very hopeful that this last UG joint is where the problem lies ?? There is no reason why it can't be found using a 'Cat & Genny' and a metal lid detector .... done it literally hundreds of times in the past.  :)

mpmc

• There is a fault... with my brain.
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2018, 10:29:09 PM »

Hmmm ?? The $64,000 question ??

Trying to get a handle on your job, and I would say (again, guesswork from my sofa), that you have had a decent engineer thus far. ** He appears to have spent a decent amount of time and effort on the task.

** So, it is very hopeful that this last UG joint is where the problem lies ?? There is no reason why it can't be found using a 'Cat & Genny' and a metal lid detector .... done it literally hundreds of times in the past.  :)

Not the first time we've had an engineer that long trying to fix a fault, but yes he did his best :)
IIRC, That engineer was baffled as to why the line was OK but his tools said Fail. More than likely the same problem.

I really hope so! I had to Google what a Cat & Genny was  :lol:

----

I'm going to assume the "DP" is under that manhole near the house, and the problem is the wire from that to the socket inside. I expect they'll patch it up? Why not just replace the lot? Then again, I doubt they'll bother seeing as our area is due for FTTP or cable by the end of 2019.
VM + BT via rotting aluminium/copper blend, hmm tasty!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2018, 07:23:25 AM »

I'm going to assume the "DP" is under that manhole near the house, and the problem is the wire from that to the socket inside. I expect they'll patch it up? Why not just replace the lot? Then again, I doubt they'll bother seeing as our area is due for FTTP or cable by the end of 2019.

Without being there on-site, I couldn't even guess where the DP is on a UG-fed estate. I think the best course of action is to just wait and see what happens next ... we can speculate our lives away.  ;D ;D

mpmc

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »

Another engineer turned up unexpectedly without a call or anything (all phones are working) - even though PN put a note on the task for OR. And once again he was asked to give us a few mins to sort things out, said he'd look outside. Took the manhole cover up, took a look and went round the side..

My brother went outside to tell him he could come in, he waved and drove off..  :shrug2: I wonder what the notes will say this time?  :sob:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2018, 12:25:29 PM »

Keep us updated please, be interesting to see where this goes ??

He may have been looking at where to provide a new UG feed to your premises ?? Again, pure speculation.

mpmc

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2018, 12:38:37 PM »

Keep us updated please, be interesting to see where this goes ??

He may have been looking at where to provide a new UG feed to your premises ?? Again, pure speculation.

I bet you're right!

I had to explain everything all over again, I was on the loo at the time so had to yell downstairs ** :blush:  :-[

** Readers note: I have CP so need help getting around, including getting on/off the loo  :blush: :-[

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2018, 12:40:36 PM »

Ha ha ...... don't worry about that .... I spend most of my time conversing with my missus in the same manner !!

mpmc

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2018, 04:37:37 PM »

:rain: :wall: OR rang again, another appointment  :scare: I bet he'll "say/tick" he couldn't gain access (again). He sat in his van on a phone/device for 10 minutes, he looked up waved at my brother and drove off.

I give up..

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2018, 04:41:35 PM »

:rain: :wall: OR rang again, another appointment  :scare: I bet he'll "say/tick" he couldn't gain access (again). He sat in his van on a phone/device for 10 minutes, he looked up waved at my brother and drove off.

I give up..

Strange indeed ??

Do you mean your ISP rang again ... as OR won't ring you to arrange an appointment ??

I'm hoping that this has been a 'work allocation' cock-up, and that the only issue left to resolve via a new appointment, is for you to sign a 'permission to dig' form for the laying of new duct work on your premises ???

Other than that, I haven't a clue ??

mpmc

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2018, 06:37:15 PM »

Strange indeed ??

Do you mean your ISP rang again ... as OR won't ring you to arrange an appointment ??

I'm hoping that this has been a 'work allocation' cock-up, and that the only issue left to resolve via a new appointment, is for you to sign a 'permission to dig' form for the laying of new duct work on your premises ???

Other than that, I haven't a clue ??

It was OR.. well someone from OR overseas based in India going by the guys accent.. Still waiting for Plusnet to give us an update. Will hopefully know more then.

The guy today wanted to come in and check the line again  :shrug2:, which was fine, if he waited a few mins, didn't think the OR guys are on such a tight clock  :(

This is turning into a nightmare :/

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2018, 07:03:13 PM »

I bet you're right!

I had to explain everything all over again, I was on the loo at the time so had to yell downstairs ** :blush:  :-[

** Readers note: I have CP so need help getting around, including getting on/off the loo  :blush: :-[
No need for  :blush:. Life has not dealt you good cards.

But butting in, does BT/BTOR make special allowance for folk such as you, who may be unable to give immediate admittance; have a scheme? BS?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2018, 07:21:35 PM »

There used to be what we called 'Community engineers' years ago ..... they were trained to deal with people with various disabilities .... but like I say, this was years ago !!

I would imagine the ISP's will be the ones to 'own' the situation. I wonder if, as part of their plethora of scripted questions, whether disability crops up ?? I would like to think so.

I can say for certain that if the EU has requested that certain notes go on the task for when we pick the job up, then it usually happens.
For example .... there could be a certain private 'password' the EU want us to say before the EU opens the door, or the job notes will state to 'Knock VERY loudly and wait, as the EU is hard of hearing and struggles moving' .....

So I suppose to answer your question Ren ... yes, OR are very accommodating when we are made aware of special circumstances.   

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2018, 07:22:51 PM »

Did you notice if it was an OpenReach van, or a Kelly Communications van? The Kelly vans have something like "working on behalf on OpenReach" or some such.

I've only ever had such treatment once, and it was a Kelly's engineer.
They are paid per job I believe.

OpenReach employees will have time targets, but they aren't paid per job in the same manner.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mpmc

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2018, 11:37:00 PM »

No need for  :blush:. Life has not dealt you good cards.

But butting in, does BT/BTOR make special allowance for folk such as you, who may be unable to give immediate admittance; have a scheme? BS?

It is what it is, no use complaining about it. I hate using the "disability card" (horrible name) for anything, in this case it isn't a factor anyway as my brother able's to deal with it.

Did you notice if it was an OpenReach van, or a Kelly Communications van? The Kelly vans have something like "working on behalf on OpenReach" or some such.

I've only ever had such treatment once, and it was a Kelly's engineer.
They are paid per job I believe.

OpenReach employees will have time targets, but they aren't paid per job in the same manner.

I asked my brother this, he says he wasn't sure but using Google I showed him some Kelly Coms vans & he thinks he saw their logo on the side, so this might be the case.  :sob:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD73a1trdJ0[/youtube]

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2018, 07:12:14 AM »

....I hate using the "disability card" (horrible name) for anything...
Congratulations!:) Disability warriors would want trains  with an out of order taken out of service, or the right to climb Everest on someone's back.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8