Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

GEA results - Is our line that bad!

(1/23) > >>

mpmc:
Hey folks,

I asked for a GEA test for our line since moving to plusnet a few days ago (went live on the 8th), and from the result - from what I can gather - it doesn't look good!

The results are here, I'm basically here to ask you guys for your expert opinions on the results, should a fault be raised or is the line basically a lost cause?

TIA

Black Sheep:
Welcome to the forums.

You answered your own question by producing the test results. See the bit that says .... 'Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report' ..... that means you have a fault somewhere and PlusNet should get an engineer out.

Black Sheep:
To add ...... silly test systems mention that an appointment isn't required, (indicating the test system thinks the fault is outside your premises), yet also mentions you have a 'Bridged Tap' on your circuit .... which in 99% of cases are inside the premises.

I would humbly suggest you make an appointment for an engineer to come to your house to rectify the issue.

I haven't got the time to go into depth about how to self-help regarding 'bridged taps' .... but I'm sure one of our retired members will be along shortly.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

kitz:

--- Quote ---Downstream Speed    24.1 Mbps
Estimated Line Length In Metres    57.5

--- End quote ---

What does the BTWholesale checker return re speed estimates that you should be getting for your line?

mpmc:

--- Quote from: Black Sheep on September 10, 2018, 02:56:44 PM ---To add ...... silly test systems mention that an appointment isn't required, (indicating the test system thinks the fault is outside your premises), yet also mentions you have a 'Bridged Tap' on your circuit .... which in 99% of cases are inside the premises.

I would humbly suggest you make an appointment for an engineer to come to your house to rectify the issue.

I haven't got the time to go into depth about how to self-help regarding 'bridged taps' .... but I'm sure one of our retired members will be along shortly.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

--- End quote ---

My god that was fast, thanks :)
That was exactly what was confusing me, fault but no engineer required  ???, thanks for clearing that one up.

The bridge tap thing is interesting, how would we go about locating this? We only have one line going into the premises, and there is no other socket or termination we can see! However there is a small manhole cover right outside our path that I've seen BT OR pull out a crap ton of cables many times over the years. We've had our line lifted-and-shifted once too.

:D

@kitz: I took this a few days ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version