Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iPad Pro 12" v1 going bad  (Read 6767 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
iPad Pro 12" v1 going bad
« on: August 16, 2018, 02:53:25 AM »

I wonder if my iPad is just dying and whether I should just bin it and buy a new one :

wireless networking going funny sometimes
3G no signal sometimes
virtual keyboard going weird occasionally
mic stuffed
battery knackd - so Apple says,
reboots very occasionally, but lots of time when off mains

It is supposed to go off for a repair quote today, there won't be much left by the time they have fixed all of that lot.

It was completely wiped a few weeks ago and os and everything else reinstalled.

I am not sure what I would use for money? There is absolutely no way I am buying second hand ones ever, not after this, and I cannot morally sell it on eBay even.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 02:57:06 AM by Weaver »

Westie

• Kitizen
Re: iPad Pro 12" v1 going bad
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 04:34:25 AM »

Just a couple of thoughts...

I have an old 32GB iPad, which behaves oddly if I let the available storage drop much below 2.5GB. I have to be quite ruthless with which apps I have downloaded and the storage used by each.
I only run one or two apps together, and make sure I don't have any running in the background unless really necessary.

If you want to replace your current device, I believe Apple UK run a trade-in scheme so you can get money for it without the moral implications of passing on a faulty unit.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 09:49:35 PM »

At the end of last week, my iPad Pro 12" v1 was sent back to Apple for assessment. I have not yet heard anything from Apple yet tho.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 07:53:06 AM »

Apple has sent me a different iPad back. Hoorah.
I wonder if if it is a Pro v1 or a Pro v2, that would be a bit too optimistic. Wonder how I could tell?

Nightmare getting it set up initially because of weirdness concerning the change of mac address and the mac-based multiple layers of WLAN restrictions. (Yes, I  know, I know that isn't real security, but it prevents Mrs Weaver from giving out the wrong kind of credentials by accident.)

Initially I didn't even think that the MAC address might have changed, there was no warning. So could not connect to WLAN at all. Then When I reconfigured things there was still some kind of weirdness, which never got diagnosed. Fixed it by logging in to a guest SSID which was enough just to get the setup going.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 10:32:12 AM »

Apple has sent me a different iPad back. Hoorah.
I wonder if if it is a Pro v1 or a Pro v2, that would be a bit too optimistic. Wonder how I could tell?

Googling the model number/code on the back of the iPad or listed under general/about

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 12:20:00 PM »

googled it, doesn't say v2