Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A Replacement for the Huawei HG612 Modem?  (Read 11799 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: A Replacement for the Huawei HG612 Modem?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2018, 12:09:46 AM »

I will always suggest a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A . . . but they are no longer manufactured and, thus, are becoming a "premium" second-hand product. Avoid the VMG1312-B10D, the "economy" replacement for the VMG1312-B10A.

Other members will, in due course, make suggestions of other ZyXEL devices for you to consider.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2018, 10:10:11 AM »

Another nail in the coffin for the VMG1312-B10D is that with the later versions of the firmware you can't use DSLstats!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2018, 09:04:02 PM »

Don't know if I was doing anything wrong, but the ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A was absolutely no faster than the HG612 it replaced.

I didn't even bother trying the VMG3925-B10B.

Not sure what to do now, may have two ZyXEL's I'd like to sell!
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2018, 03:58:36 AM »

It might well not be. Your line could be too good, or it might not apply in the case of VDSL2. Mine are in some cases slightly faster, 3% downstream, worse on upstream sometimes. But much more stable, and at a higher downstream SNRM, so would be quite a bit faster at a comparable SNRM. Compared to my previous modems, the B10As have Broadcom proprietary ‘PhyR’ (L2 retx, the equivalent of G.INP) working and that is part of the improvement and huge reliability increase.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2018, 11:12:20 AM »

After having a think, I'm going to try the 1312-B10A on my father's line as his is a bit more unstable.

And, what I didn't consider, thinking about it - is actually using one of these on the AAISP line that I know I can tweak the MTU on and at least have full control that way.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 03:58:00 PM by dee.jay »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2018, 09:37:23 PM »

Gave it a second go - it actually does add 1-2Mb on my AAISP line.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2018, 07:30:43 AM »

And this morning has cost me 4Mb of upstream on that line - These modems are no good for me, it seems.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2018, 07:52:27 AM »

I had worse upstream with the B10A on some lines compared with DLink DSL-320B-Z1 modems.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2018, 10:28:52 AM »

My experience is similar.  The B10A gives better downstream, but worse upstream.  It does also have a significantly lower bit swap rate than the HG612.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Psychomech

• Just arrived
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2018, 07:29:55 PM »

I have just installed a 1312-B10A and it has been a disappointment speed wise.  I have tried several modems routers on my ECI line, and the 1312 is actually the slowest.  I have had much more success with Lantiq chipsets.  Rough speeds have been:

1312 - 61 Mbps
HG612 - 62 Mbps
Draytek 2860n - 63 Mbps
Openreach ECI - 63 Mbps
Home Hub 5a - 64 Mbps
Draytek 2860n with SNR tweaked to 3 db - 74 Mbps.

Although tweaking the SNR does increase my error seconds, it's a price I'm willing to pay.  The Draytek is getting put back in ASAP :)

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2018, 08:39:15 PM »

I have just installed a 1312-B10A and it has been a disappointment speed wise.  I have tried several modems routers on my ECI line, and the 1312 is actually the slowest.  I have had much more success with Lantiq chipsets.  Rough speeds have been:

1312 - 61 Mbps
HG612 - 62 Mbps
Draytek 2860n - 63 Mbps
Openreach ECI - 63 Mbps
Home Hub 5a - 64 Mbps
Draytek 2860n with SNR tweaked to 3 db - 74 Mbps.

Although tweaking the SNR does increase my error seconds, it's a price I'm willing to pay.  The Draytek is getting put back in ASAP :)
I would not be disappointed myself since the 1312-B10A is actually within a very small margin (~1.5% slower in your case) of another Broadcom-based modem that you have tested on your line. It could actually be faster or slower than the HG612 depending on line conditions and DSLAM parameters.

I imagine that this is at the target margin of 6 dB (3dB is not possible on ECI)? If the assumption is correct, then you may not benefit from having the 1312-B10A in place except for the potential for improved stability and lower error rates. It should be mentioned that if the 1312-B10A is in fact able to provide connection with less errors then it may allow for the DLM to reduce interleaving overheads leading to an increase in sync speed.

Quite obviously there appears to be a trend here. Lantiq-based modems seem to sync better on your line. Without seeing specific parameters then it is a little unscientific (since there could be varying levels of interleaving, etc.). But if the tweaking of SNR to 3dB with the 2860n shows itself to be stable and gives you the highest speed then I can't blame you for doing it.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Psychomech

• Just arrived
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2018, 09:14:43 PM »

Disappointed is perhaps too strong a word, but I was hoping the 1312 would be a decent improvement over the HG612.  Also, in the few days I've had the 1312, there's been no real decrease in in error seconds compared to the others, and I had high hopes for the "filter" the 1312 boasts.  It's no hardship going back to the Draytek though, and now I know not to worry about potentially missing out on performance, and I'm sure I'll get my cash back for the 1312 on ebay, so everyones a winner :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2018, 03:37:49 AM »

1312 - 61 Mbps
HG612 - 62 Mbps

That's the first time I've seen anyone report the Zyxel VMG1312-B10A to be slower than the HG612.

You either have an exceptionally good performing HG612, an exceptionally bad performing 1312, or something in between.
Your experience certainly isn't the norm.

Definitely a VMG1312-B10A and not a VMG1312-B10D?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2018, 01:27:26 PM »

I tried my 1312-B10A on my father's line - he now gets 55000 sync up from 53000.

He's rather happy with that. Proves that not all lines are the same.

Just a shame he's on an ECI cabinet, attainable rose from 60000 to 65000

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2018, 12:39:12 AM »

You have to be very careful indeed with these tests, use proper test methodology of resynching with the existing modem to make sure that any sync rate change is not simply one that you would have got anyway without even changing modem. Could be that SNR has changed over time, or it could be that DLM is punishing you simply for resynching. I would respectfully say that all our tests do not mean anything without rigorous sanity check procedures being followed, as I have myself got it wrong numerous times (two days ago for instance) and obtained bogus results.

I have recently lost ten percent of some sync rates without changing any kit.

Having said that, the B10A was for me faster downstream in some situations compared with my former DLink DSL-320B-Z1 modems, but not faster in other cases, and sometimes, but not always, the upstream was quite a lot slower. However it was far more stable, never ever loses the connection and resynchs on its own. Also it is not a fair comparison as the DLink modems run at a very very low SNRM often down to 1.5dB or even 0.6dB downstream where the target is 3 dB, whereas the B10A runs at say 3.1dB downstream sometimes drops to 2.5dB. If I tweak the B10A to run at the same low SNRM then it would be about 5% faster than the DLink downstream.

I tested a Draytek Vigor 130 on my extremely slow long ADSL line and it was a mite slow compared to my DLink modems but very solid. So again SNRM needs to be taken into account, which I did not do. The DLink just happens to be very aggressive, so in a way it is cheating, and my comparisons have not been really fair.

For me the B10A is also outstanding because it supports Broadcom’s proprietary PhyR L2 retx protocol, which is the equivalent of G.INP. And this works with my particular DSLAM/MSAN even though this is only ADSL2 not FTTC/VDSL2. This makes it massively more stable.

It may be that the Vigor is especially well suited to your particular DSLAM. I do like the Vigors a lot, very straightforward - you just plug them in and they work. And their PPPoEoE to PPPoA protocol conversion for ADSL users is superb a performance boost due to greater protocol efficiency (less bloat, less wasteful unnecessary data sent). More speed for free for two-box, ie modem plus router, users on ADSL. A built in speed advantage over all other modems. Doesn’t apply to you of course, but I think it says a lot about the design team that they care, cleverly saw an opportunity and just went for it rather than being lazy. Unless there is some problem created by intellectual property rights, it is amazing that no one else has bothered to implement this excellent performance-enhancing technique. I would get a benefit out of it in some circumstances.

There has been some amount of discussion on the issue of whether there are certain benefits to having modems whose chipset is from the same manufacturer as that of the chipset in your DSLAM. I think Kitz said ‘no’ a long time ago. I don’t know where opinions are nowadays. In my own case there is a special synergy because I happen to now have an exchange with Broadcom chips in the DSLAM/MSANs and these support the important PhyR protocol like my Broadcom-based ZyXEL modem. So it is down to a protocol availability issue, availability of features. Not obviously a case of something deeper involving modems at the two ends thinking alike generally.

Sincere apologies for this insane post which grown into a monster. Bottom line; perhaps retest very carefully and give the modems another chance by passing judgement after vigorous testing and a reasonable length of time to assess performance. Also note SNRM values as otherwise speeds are not being fairly compared.

Edited to correct link at top of post - Roseway

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 06:58:57 AM by roseway »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4