Broadband Related > ISPs

plusnet or virgin - house move

(1/4) > >>

chenks:
so i have a bit of a conundrum.
moving shortly and the new property can be serviced by both FTTC and Virgin.
i currently have FTTC 80/20 from Plusnet and sync pretty much as damn near at the max available.

the new property suggests very similar results for FTTC using BTs dslchecker site.

so i could play russian roulette and go thru a move via Plusnet, which could take god knows how long.
or i could get Virgin internet - it would be internet only with a landline (which wouldn't have a phone connect) as again it is cheaper overall to get it with a landline included than it is to have internet only.

the snag with Virgin is that to get parity (or close to) with upload speeds compared to FTTC is that you need to get one of the top end packages.

200 down with "average" of 12 up at £37pm for 12 months
or
350 down with "average" of 21 up at £42pm for 12 months

now, i don't need or really even want downstream speeds that fast, 80 down is more than enough for me. but to get the desired upstream then you have no choice.
the bonus with virgin is that the cables are already inside the property and it's like a 2-3 day turnaround to get it active (via the self install).

jelv:
Does the current occupier of the house have broadband? How soon Plusnet can get you up could depend on that.

chenks:
the property is currently empty.
based on what i've seen my thoughts are that is was previously Virgin supplying services.
there is virgin cabling feeding living room and bedroom, and a virgin telephone socket in the living room.
there is a BT socket in the hall.

kitz:

--- Quote ---80 down is more than enough for me. but to get the desired upstream then you have no choice.
--- End quote ---

I think I would be in a similar dilemma. 

>> £42pm for 12 months

You may also have to consider how much you would pay with PN and if you are within any contract period.    If its a move then it could depend on how much you are currently paying rather than new customer price.  When my daughter moved to the house previous to where she is now, she was still within an 18m contract from a property prior to that... so rather than having to pay exit fees etc.. it was cheaper to move with PN rather than start afresh with another ISP.

Ronski:
I moved to Virgin earlier this year, and took the Vivid 350  package purely to get the 20Mbps upload speed. I'm pretty certain if I could get 80/20 on FTTC I would have stayed with that so long as the price was much cheaper. Can't fault the service from Virgin though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version