Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Billion 8800NL R2 - started to reboot almost every 24hr's  (Read 2437 times)

Zico

• Reg Member
Billion 8800NL R2 - started to reboot almost every 24hr's
« on: September 09, 2018, 10:27:00 PM »

Evening all,

I've had a Billion 8800NL R2 from IDnet since the beginning of December last year. Until recently, it's be quite happily running without issue on the 2.52.d10 firmware for months. At one point, the router uptime has been over 112 days.

Now, since at least the last 5 or 6 days, it's started to reboot almost every 24 hours (give or take a few hours).

I've not changed any settings, have only 1 custom firewall rule to allow IPv6 ping (which has been on for months) and not changed any of the connected devices (1x PC, Xbox X, TV and Raspberry Pi).

I have noticed that from around 11pm on 6th September, DSLstats (running on the Pi) has started reporting around 60 errored seconds downstream per hour. CRC errors are also now around 5 every other minute. Images attached from DSLstats.

Not sure if the router is playing up causing the dodgy readings or if the line is affecting the router causing the reboots.

Any ideas?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Billion 8800NL R2 - started to reboot almost every 24hr's
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 10:57:55 PM »

Could you scrounge up a replacement power supply? I am just wondering if there are problems with current droop or capacitors going bad or whatever. That would be a first step, then I would be swapping out the modem for another identical model.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 11:00:04 PM »

Have you --
  • Checked the device's log files for the occurrence of anything untoward?
  • Checked, using a wired telephone, for a noisy line?
  • Checked the stability of the PSU?
  • Tested with a different modem/router?
At the moment, I can't think of anything else to check.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 01:14:26 AM »

For the time being, I've reset the router back to factory settings and re-setup the config with my minor changes (forgot to mention before that I also have Wifi turned off - again shouldn't make a difference).

Couldn't see anything in the log files (looses everything as it's rebooted - only able to see start-up log).

If I can get a different PSU to check I will do. Logged a ticket with IDnet and will await a response. If there is something wrong (hardware wise) then I would expect them to repair/replace.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 05:29:12 PM »

Ah, I wonder . . .

There is a difference between a software reboot and a power-cycle (or power-on after a state of power-off). I don't know that Billion device, so I do not know what to expect. So could it be a power-supply problem?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 07:55:24 PM »

I will double check what (if anything) is in the log file the next time it restarts. I will dump it into a text file and post it up.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 11:17:56 AM »

Right, got some time where I've been able to reset the router but think that the line has now been banded due to the restarts.

I've turned off the other VDSL router on the other line that shares the DP further back.

DSLstats now reports my line can reach 18mb up and 70mb down (has been higher but still better than the 56mb normally reported). Only thing is that my router has only connected at the higher upstream speed at 17mb and is stuck at 50mb downstream. Have I been banded down due to the restarts?

*Edit*
Attached Bitloading, SNRpertone and Speed graphs to this post, data, HLog and QLN on other post below.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:32:19 AM by Zico »

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 11:30:23 AM »

Stats attached.
DSL data, HLog and QLN

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 12:50:04 PM »

SNRM is very high on the downstream but the sync figure isn't a capped figure.

Did you sync this before before or after taking the 2nd line down?

I would be inclined to try a single resync on the line to see if the sync increases. If paranoid about DLM you can leave 30 between dropping and establishing sync.
If the modem has only been rebooting once per day DLM shouldn't take action on it so 1 resync will be fine though
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 01:53:37 PM »

Synced after the other line was turned off.

My brother turned the other line on a few moments ago (I've turned it straight back off) and you can see the hit on the SNR Margin graph. Same massive hit on attainable speed etc. and normally this kicks my line off and re-sync's lower than normal (normal used to be 56mb before all the restarting router).

Restarted the router after I turned the other line off again and it's dropped a bit further still (17mb up / 49mb down).

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 04:01:35 AM »

That's very strange.
The 2nd line is knocking the first down to about 6dB.
That's what I would expect if the 1st line was synced while line 2 was active.

Out of interest what was the new sync figure?

Have you tried swapping the cables between the 2 master sockets? As in unplug line 1 from master socket 1 and connect it to master socket 2, and vice versa.
This achieves swapping everything your side of the network to rule out any hardware issue (both modem and patch cable).

Failing that I would leave the troublesome line disconnected for as long as possible (few hours?) and leave the port on the DSLAM sit idle.
If that doesn't improve things it sounds like it may be a duff port.

Pretty confident 50122 wasn't a banded figure unless there's been recent changes.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 03:00:55 PM »

Sync speeds now are 50981 / 10499 with attainable now lower at 52767 / 10823 (with other line back on). This is lower than the 56xxx / 12xxx and slightly higher attainable 58xxx / 13xxx with the other line turned on. With it off I have seen the attainable speeds at 85xxx / 25xxx.

Never going to be able to swap the cables that feed the master sockets. On opposite sides of the property and my brother would never cooperate with any testing. The drop wire to either master socket is different, mine is 0.9mm copper to the DP (I picked up a real of this and gave it to the engineer when they fitted the line last year), the other is probably 0.5mm or whatever Openreach fit as standard.

I've got to try IDnet again next week to see if they can send me another router to rule out mine being faulty. Not likely to get them to change/try another port on the cab at the moment as they seem to be uninclined to do anything with regards to the low connection speeds.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:04:55 PM by Zico »