Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach UK End Firmware Updates for VDSL2 Broadband Modems  (Read 1615 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Openreach UK End Firmware Updates for VDSL2 Broadband Modems
« on: September 08, 2018, 10:25:02 AM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/09/openreach-uk-end-firmware-updates-for-vdsl2-broadband-modems.html

It’s been over two years since Openreach (BT) withdrew its own VDSL2 modem as an option from their Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC) installation service, which many ISPs initially provided to customers before self-installations and all-in-one routers became the norm. Now future firmware updates are also due to end.

Some ISPs weren’t particularly pleased when the operator originally stopped supplying the devices, not least because being able to use Openreach’s own VDSL2 modem made support easier (i.e. a familiar / shared platform, quick to update firmware and easy to replace faulty kit). On the other hand technology must move on and you can’t keep supporting the same kit forever.

The final nail in the device’s coffin has now finally dropped, with a short update to announce that “we will no longer provide modem firmware upgrades to Openreach provided VDSL modems from 4th March 2019.” Obviously this may raise some concerns among the last fleeting supporters of the modem, although arguably they’ve already continued to support it for much longer than originally planned.

The good news is that in today’s market there’s no shortage of cheap alternative routers with an integrated or standalone VDSL2 modem. The vast majority of those should do a better job than Openreach’s kit, which hasn’t been a mainstream ISP choice for quite a few years.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

spudgun

• Reg Member
Re: Openreach UK End Firmware Updates for VDSL2 Broadband Modems
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »

Have there been any firmware updates? I'm still running the 2014 one that is linked at the top of this section of the forum!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 04:30:21 PM »

Have there been any firmware updates?

To the best of my knowledge no, none since the B030SP08 version.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 06:58:03 PM »

To the best of my knowledge no, none since the B030SP08 version.

Thought so, pointless news release them as they've not updated in 4 years anyway