Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Speed and address anomaly - any ideas?  (Read 1343 times)

newguy

Speed and address anomaly - any ideas?
« on: September 07, 2018, 06:00:43 PM »

Two buildings next to each other:

1. A (6 flats).
2. B (house).

Cellar/basement has a shared portion in which there is a new Distribution Point installed by BT and from where all 7 lines go to the street.

I've had BT Infinity installed for House B and was told that I could not get Infinity 2.

DSL Checker was previously showing max clean speads of circa 40-50 down and 6-10 up. I am actually getting the top end of these speeds - great!

Now, however, checking the line phone number that I was given (I haven't tested the phone as I do not use the phone), the DSL checker for some reason shows the following very low numbers:

Yet, when I check the address of B, it shows numbers similar to what I am actually getting:

HOWEVER, when I check ANY of the flats in A, it shows much higher numbers:

So what the hell is happening?

Why is House B getting a lower speed than all the flats on A when they are on the same DP??

My theory is.. there used to a be a line in House B many years ago and it was disconnected (i.e. not used for over a decade), yet the address for B still remains on the system as it is a property and is what has been used for the DSL look-up and Infinity install. However, B is ACTUALLY on the new DP as all the flats which are all new addresses.

What do you guys think? I basically want to get on the fastest possible fibre if it is available to me!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:28:39 PM by newguy »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Speed and address anomaly - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 08:26:53 PM »

If the connection is up, what is the sync speed and noise margin?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

newguy

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 08:59:40 PM »

Would I need to connect directly to the Vigor 130 router for that? I currently have Ubiquiti stuff plugged into it.

The only stats I have to hand at the moment are from a few days ago from the router screen:

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 10:16:07 PM »

Your Vigor screenshot shows you are connecting at the maximum BT Infinity 1 sync speed of 55MB (10MB upload).

Your line would benefit from upgrading to the 'upto 80MB' BT Infinity 2 - by how much, would depend on the noise margin/SNR figures your line is currently reporting - but I suspect it would be a significant boost especially if you are connected to a Huawei FTTC cabinet (edit: though I think you are on an ECI cabinet)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 10:23:23 PM by gt94sss2 »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 10:22:59 PM »

That shows sync at the maximum for Infinity (55/10) so it's almost certain it could go higher.

If you can find the SNR and it's more than 6 you should definitely get more than 55. Some routers will show you a max attainable figure - I'm not familiar with the 130 so don't know if that does.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 11:55:31 PM »

Database mismatch between your landline and address.
It happens quite a bit.

You need to contact BT and explain this to them and tell them it's their responsibility to contact OpenReach and have this corrected.
It is preventing you upgrading and you want it fixed ASAP.

If you ask them to check your address it will show you can order Infinity 2 at your address.
Getting an ISP like BT to do this right first time isn't always easy.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

newguy

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 12:01:31 AM »

Do you know which department or contact number I should call?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 12:51:51 AM »

Do you know which department or contact number I should call?

If you want BT Infinity 2, just try ordering it by telephone - if they say its not available point out that you currently get maximum speeds on BT Infinity 1 and are prepared to take the 'risk' of upgrading anyway.

If you have issues, the simplest thing to do is probably to post on BT's forums at https://community.bt.com/ - and ask that a moderator (i.e. BT staff member) picks up your case - saying that there is a database error preventing you from ordering the higher speed service despite your line being able to support it.

edit: I see you already posted your OP there
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 12:53:57 AM by gt94sss2 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 11:36:43 AM »

BT will not be able to process an order the system will not allow it.

The BT Community mods may be able to have the database corrected or get someone to manually placed the order but I would still be insisting they fix the database.

This problem will probably follow you while you have this landline number with a BTw ISP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything