Computer Software > Linux

Attempting to Connect an iPad to a Remote R-Pi via SSH

(1/2) > >>

Weaver:
I am trying to get my iPad to connect to a remote, hosted raspberry Pi by using SSH. The iPad is running the Prompt2 IRC client. No joy on this iPad, but I have got everything working ok on a different iPad. The Pi is running Ubuntu 16.04. I can try using a username and password or using PKI. I have both options working on the other iPad: PKI with Prompt2 and remote file system access over SSH using a deifferent iPad app (Textastic).

I did a traffic capture over the link to the internet. If not using PKI, just username root, password whatever and port 5069 then I get a TCP CONNECT (SYN) going out, then TCP CONNECT_ACK (SYN|ACK) coming back, then nothing.

If I try the same but select using PKI instead of the ordinary username and password I get the same CONNECT and response CONNECT_ACK, but then an inbound CONNECT request from an alias address and of course this gets thrown away by firewalling.

Any clues?

burakkucat:
[Moderator note: Adjusted the subject line.]

Do you have any clue as to where the process is "falling over"? I am uncertain if it is the software configuration on the iPad or on the R-Pi.

Weaver:
I can't see his it can be a problem with the Pi because that is unchanged between the two situations where it is working with the one iPad and failing with the other one.

A thought. Is there any possible problem with having two SSH sessions in progress at the same time? I am suddenly wondering if the second iPad is just unlucky because it is coming late to the party - its only crime is that if being second. Can soon sort out that question by rebooting the Pi and simply trying a login from the second iPad.

tickmike:
Firewall blocking it ?.

Weaver:
No software firewall at either end. The router at this end has the usual state full firewall and is common to both situations, the one where there is an iPad 5 successfully connecting to the Pi and the one where the iPad Pro just sits there. If the Pi were trying to make a reverse TCP connection back to the iPad then this would certainly stop things working, but why then is the iPad 5 working?

I have reinstalled the SSH client app on the iPad Pro and tried again, but no luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version