Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ISP Recommend Please  (Read 12674 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ISP Recommend Please
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 09:52:58 AM »

>>> Can someone explain about LLU not having IP profiles.Does that mean anyone on a long line would get more stability with LLU?

No, all it means is that you won't have your actual download speed limited by any IP profile. With the BT system your download speed is capped by the IP profile, and even if you connect at a higher speed your download speed won't increase until the IP profile catches up, which can take several days. This isn't the case with the LLU services.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 10:00:15 AM »

Oh right,thanks Eric.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 01:40:25 PM »

@ Mr Chris, yes O2 does look very good price wise.there is alot of good reports from users in various forums.What I like is if you have O2 mobile it is £5 cheaper and also you can call tech support free from your O2 mobile(as well as your landline)That makes it very attractive to me as I can hear better from a mobile phone than a landline(even using a dect handset).
Just a question,I am connected via an ethernet cable at the moment,if I wanted to connect wireless do I have to do anything to my computer?Also if I went wireless and being on a long line,would that have an effect on my speed?

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 01:49:16 PM »

Do use wireless you will need a Wireless NIC and a wireless Router, unless O2 have that covered aswell. And as for it working on a long line, there should not be a difference.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 02:45:06 PM »

Sorry to be a bit thick but whats an wireless NIC,and where's it go   ???

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 03:27:22 PM »

A wireless network card/wireless dongle which you fit in the PCI slot of your PC or if you use the dongle, it goes into the usb port.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 09:29:29 PM »

O2 supply you with a wireless router, but not a wireless adapter for your computer. These can be purchased for something like £10 - £20 from all good computer retailers ;)
Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 10:40:58 PM »

... or even from bad ones. :)
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 05:50:36 AM »

Thanks guys,just had a look at your 'bad one' Eric  :).I notice they have USB ones.Are they as effective as the PCI ones.I know they are a bit more expensive but save you opening the computer.Are there any drawbacks from using USB ones,apart from using up a spare port.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 07:19:28 AM »

I guess that USB ones work OK, but there's more to go wrong, and they do put a bit of extra load on the CPU. I'm also a bit nervous about having lots of USB devices all drawing power from the rather limited capacity of the USB interface. My personal inclination is only to use USB for those things where there's no realistic option (printers, scanners, cameras, etc.). But that's probably just me being finicky.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 07:42:44 AM »

Thanks for the feedback Eric.As regards wireless,its not essential to my requirements at the moment.I just thought if in the future I had a laptop instead of a desktop then it might be handy.Am I right in thinking the O2 router can be used either wireless or via ethernet. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 07:48:16 AM »

Yes, I'm sure all wireless routers have ethernet as well. If you get a laptop it will almost certainly already have a built-in wireless interface, so you won't need to bother with a dongle.

Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 07:54:55 AM »

Thanks Eric.  :).My computer is in the spare bedroom and the main phone socket is in there as well.(Don't ask its a long story).We have a second dect handset in the living room.So my idea for the future is to use a wireless laptop in the living room,saving me re routing the phone cabling.Hope that makes sense.Any alternatives on a postcard please to.....................   ;D

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 02:07:32 PM »

Sounds like a plan. In which case don't bother changing how you use the computer - just keep it on a wired ethernet cable, and then the wireless will allow any future laptops to work alongside any wired connections.

Like Eric says, pretty much any laptop nowadays will come with wireless already built in, so just keep it ready for future use :)
Chris
Pages: 1 [2]