Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ISP Recommend Please  (Read 12678 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
ISP Recommend Please
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:03:35 AM »

I am leaving BT when my contract is up,can someone recommend me a good ISP with the following criteria.Must be UK based technical support with good knowledge and understanding,I don't want to pay more than £20 a month (is that asking too much?) My usage is not high,I only browse the net,send/receive a few emails,don't do any file sharing or online gaming.Don't download movies or TV programmes.Not bothered about wireless connection.My biggest problem is that I'm very hard of hearing so my OH has to do the telephone support stufff and pass the instructions on to me.
Any help would be appreciated.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ISP Recommend Please
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 10:37:42 AM »

Zen and the Entanet resellers (e.g. ADSL24) meet those criteria. Kitz' guide gives pretty comprehensive information.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 12:33:53 PM »

I'll also throw a few more names into the mix:-

IDNet
Newnet
Plusnet
MadasaFish - I know you said UK support - they have South African & UK support..  but  mentioned because SA's first language is still English - if you get my drift).

Be aware that some/many of the ISPs offering UK call centers arent open 24/7. - See ISP contact info
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Jameseh

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:53:22 PM »

Hi Uncleub,

Have you considered looking at our Option 1 package (£9.99pm 1GB peak usage allowance).

It sounds perfect for what you're looking for and would help you save a bit of cash too!  We do have a number of customers who do suffer from severe hearing difficulties, who generally seem to use Type Talk.  Our Support Staff are all familiar with this service, so I wouldn't expect you to experience any difficulties.

Also, if forums are your thing, there's also our Community Site which you would be more than welcome to use for any queries that you might have.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »

Thanks for your feedback Jameseh,I'm not sure but I think I would exceed 1GB a month.

Edit.Option 2 looks ok for £14.99 (Paying £17.99 at the moment).
I live in Sheffield so I could always come and knock on your door if I had problems.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:38:00 PM by UncleUB »

Jameseh

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »

:)

We generally say that as a rough guide, 1GB will give you in the region of 3 hours a day browsing webpages and sending receiving emails.

It's obviously pretty tough to call, given that it depends vastly on the type of websites you're viewing and whether or not you're sending emails with attachments and so on.

If you decide that you're not using much, you can easily downgrade to Option 1 free of charge, and you also have to option of "prepaying" for additional GBs of usage at a cost of 75p each.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 03:34:28 PM »

Thats handy about pre-paying for additional GB,s @75p.I am usually browsing on and off 10 to 12 hours a day.So I should roughly pay about £12.25 a month,which is very good.  :)
My contract with BT runs for a bit yet,but I will give Plusnet serious consideration when the time comes.Once again thanks for all your help. :)

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 04:29:05 PM »

@uncleUB - I've been with PlusNet for a while now and found them very good.  You can either go with Option 1 at £9.99 per month for 1GB (or 75p per additional gig if paid for in advance and £1 per extra gig if paid after using it.  You can "cap" the amount of extra charge per month if you want to limit it but any unused allowance does not carry forward).  On Option 2 you get 15Gb per month allowance for £14.99 all in which would more than meet your needs by the sound of it.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »

Thanks Jazz  :)

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 12:22:19 PM »

Hi UncleB,

the best advise has come from Roseway.
Zen and the Entanet resellers (e.g. ADSL24) meet those criteria. Kitz' guide gives pretty comprehensive information.

Otherwise Zen may be a good option. 2.5gb per/month usage and great support staff and area's.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 01:59:27 PM »

Plusnet's option 1 seems great value.

Jameseh > Can I just check if that is country wide, doesn't require LLU, and doesn't ti in phone calls in any way ?

I read somewhere if you go over the 1GB you can either pay for the extra GBs or your speed is reduced and not pay anymore. What is it reduced to ?

How much of a chunk will windows, anti-virus and all the other updates that continually come down the tube or do they easily fit in with that 3 hours a day?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 04:26:27 PM »

@ Kitz,I had a look at Madasafish and found their price to be quite reasonable.You mentioned UK and South African support.When I looked at people's ratings on the ISP ratings page,one comment was Indian support? and also a mention of Plusnet taking them over.?
@ anyone,I found that O2 get very good ratings and comments.They are LLU enabled in my exchange.Would I be able to go with them due to my long line?.Is the support any good?
The  others in my short list are, Newnet,Plusnet,Zen and IDNet.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 02:20:16 AM »

Jameseh > Can I just check if that is country wide, doesn't require LLU, and doesn't ti in phone calls in any way ?

Obviously I'm not James, but yes, that's country wide, no LLU.

I read somewhere if you go over the 1GB you can either pay for the extra GBs or your speed is reduced and not pay anymore. What is it reduced to ?

Full speed table here. As you can see, a lot of stuff is blocked or severely limited on Option 1, but it's stuff that people opting for a low usage package are unlikely to use. By the way, "External FTP" is FTP access to anything except the various PlusNet web servers.

Restricted access speed is 128kbps total - see here for details. Note during the restricted period, binary usenet, P2P and external FTP are blocked

How much of a chunk will windows, anti-virus and all the other updates that continually come down the tube or do they easily fit in with that 3 hours a day?

Difficult to answer, but I've found AV updates are usually no more than a MB or two daily. Windows updates aren't usually massive, probably well less than 100 MB in an average month.

@ UncleUB - O2 and Be are effectively one and the same - O2 took over Be a while ago, and they use the same LLU network. I think rizla(?) said before that whilst Be may reject your line as being too long, O2 may give it a go (different customer service). Worth a shot, and it will probably work ok - it's definitely very good value for money (sorry James / Azzaka, but it is!!)

Don't expect much in the way of a speed increase from what you're on now, but at least with all the current LLU providers, you don't have to worry about IP profiles and the like keeping your speeds artificially low! Might be worth a shot :)

Also, O2 has a 12 month contract, after which you're free to leave anytime, it doesn't start another 12 months, but still worth pointing out. Although it appears they do have a 50 day money back guarantee at the moment if you sign up before the end of June!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 02:24:40 AM by mr_chris »
Chris

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »

Interesting, thanks, sounds the best value option for light users and even if they hit the limit towards the end of the month, could probably live with 128 for a few days without any extra charge.

I notice on samknows site for LLU that plusnet aren't listed so I presume that they don't install any of their own equipment in any exchanges.

I wonder, as video/tv usage over the web increases, if we will see more ISPs offering low cost light user packages.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 06:43:28 PM by setecio »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 08:32:53 AM »

@ UncleUB - O2 and Be are effectively one and the same - O2 took over Be a while ago, and they use the same LLU network. I think rizla(?) said before that whilst Be may reject your line as being too long, O2 may give it a go (different customer service). Worth a shot, and it will probably work ok - it's definitely very good value for money (sorry James / Azzaka, but it is!!)

Don't expect much in the way of a speed increase from what you're on now, but at least with all the current LLU providers, you don't have to worry about IP profiles and the like keeping your speeds artificially low! Might be worth a shot

Also, O2 has a 12 month contract, after which you're free to leave anytime, it doesn't start another 12 months, but still worth pointing out. Although it appears they do have a 50 day money back guarantee at the moment if you sign up before the end of June!

Can someone explain about LLU not having IP profiles.Does that mean anyone on a long line would get more stability with LLU?
Pages: [1] 2