Announcements > News Articles

BA website breach

(1/5) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:
Seems BA have owned up to some kind of breach, leaking transaction details...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45440850

Interestingly, I did book a BA flight via the website during the period it was leaking, but I have not had any notification from BA (they say affected customers were notified last night). 

As always, I used the ‘guest’ checkout, to avoid registering.  If I did escape the breach, I wonder if that was relevant?  :-\

All the same, I think I’ll be keeping a close eye on the card account that I used.   :'(

PS:

Over morning cuppa’, I started to worry more, I also figured out that bank call centre queues are just going to grow today as this news spreads.   So I decided to get in early, gave my bank a call.   

Good news is there are no unexpected transactions. :)
Bad news is they’ve cancelled the card as a precaution. :(

sevenlayermuddle:
And (with apols for replying to my own post), email from BA mid afternoon...

--- Quote ---... We’re deeply sorry, but you may have been affected. ...

--- End quote ---

So much for the BBC reports this morning, that said everybody affected had been contacted yesterday.  I certainly had not.    :o

But feeling smug that I jumped the starting gun anyway, without waiting for BA’s notification. I’m willing to bet I’d have faced a long call centre queue if I’d waited til afternoon before calling the bank, competing with the 380,000 others.   And great to have had an early chat with the bank, confirming no untoward transactions. :)

A 2nd email from BA, received a bit after 6pm, gives more details...

--- Quote ---The personal information compromised includes full name, billing address, email address and payment card information. This includes your card number, expiry date and CVV. Unfortunately this information could be used to conduct fraudulent transactions using your account. We recommend that you contact your bank or credit card provider immediately and follow their advice.

--- End quote ---

Better late than never.  But still a pretty bad show, the scumbags could have enjoyed a whole day’s spending spree, in the time it took BA to send that email. :'(

kitz:
 :no:

I wonder if they send out batches?

I know with the PCWorld/Dixons breach I thought I may have escaped that as I got notification from them about my father's details being breached.    Then I got a notification about 5 days later saying I had been affected too :/

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: kitz on September 07, 2018, 06:58:27 PM --- :no:

I wonder if they send out batches?

--- End quote ---

That would make sense, and would be an understandable  constraint, but they should not lie about it.  From the  BBC link in opening post...

--- Quote ---BA said all customers affected by the breach had been contacted on Thursday night.

--- End quote ---

pooclah:

--- Quote ---The personal information compromised includes full name, billing address, email address and payment card information. This includes your card number, expiry date and CVV. Unfortunately this information could be used to conduct fraudulent transactions using your account. We recommend that you contact your bank or credit card provider immediately and follow their advice.
--- End quote ---

My bold.  Surely they shouldn't be storing that?  My limited knowledge tells me that's wrong.

--- Quote from: kitz on September 07, 2018, 06:58:27 PM ---I know with the PCWorld/Dixons breach I thought I may have escaped that as I got notification from them about my father's details being breached.    Then I got a notification about 5 days later saying I had been affected too :/

--- End quote ---

I had an email from Dixons/Carphone last Wednesday notifying me that I the data they hold about me may have been accessed in 2017.

Who's policing these things?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version