Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cityfibre Suggest UK Broadband Worse than Internet on the Beach Abroad  (Read 1069 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/09/cityfibre-suggest-uk-broadband-worse-than-internet-on-the-beach-abroad.html

Fibre optic network builder Cityfibre has suggested via a new survey that people are likely to get “faster internet on the beach in your favourite holiday resort” than when you are trying to connect in the UK, although the survey doesn’t actually confirm that and the results are a mix of questionable interpretations.

Lately Cityfibre has been on somewhat of a largely noble crusade to right a few of the industry’s perceived wrongs, not least by arguing through the courts for an end to “deliberately misleading” uses of “fibre” terminology in ISP adverts for slower hybrid fibre services (i.e. instead of only using it alongside Gigabit capable pure fibre optic lines) and highlighting weaknesses in existing copper broadband networks.

In keeping with that the fibre builder has today claimed that holiday makers could be surprised to find that “uploading their favourite holiday snaps may take longer at home in the UK than it did at their summer holiday destination,” which appears to be at least partly based on a speedtest based study that was recently conducted by research group M-Lab and Cable.co.uk (here).

The results then appear to have been mixed in (or up) with the feedback they received via a recent Censuswide survey of almost 3,500 UK residents.

Cityfibre’s Statement

The research calculated that around 31 million Brits plan to travel abroad this year, and shockingly, when looking at their top 10 destinations, only those planning to holiday in Italy and Greece would have a tougher time uploading photos than they would if they were in the UK.

This isn’t surprising when you look at the other findings uncovered in the survey. It found that over three quarters (78%) of UK consumers feel slowed down and frustrated by their internet connection, with the figure rising among homeworkers (82%) and young people (87%).

With the rise of remote working and working from home, it seems ironic to have faster internet on the beach in your favourite holiday resort than when you are trying to connect in the UK. Part of the reason we are lagging when it comes to poor broadband is the confusion between part fibre and full fibre created by misleading advertising, which has left many customers confused about their own connectivity.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Cityfibre Suggest UK Broadband Worse than Internet on the Beach Abroad
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 10:35:18 PM »

I originally read this story on a different site to the one I linked to and I'm abit surprised at the attitude of both the poster of the story and some of the comments.

It seems that some of the evidence that CityFibre put forward seems light on detail and missing on some. But the cause of fighting for the proper definitions is a noble one  that could prompt ISP's to be forced to not adventise FTTC as 'Fibre'. If they are forced to use a term like 'Hybrid Fibre' then it could result in them having to explain the difference to the customer.

I'm not sure where the anti-CityFibre opinion is coming from?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Cityfibre Suggest UK Broadband Worse than Internet on the Beach Abroad
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 05:28:17 PM »

I'm not sure where the anti-CityFibre opinion is coming from?

I'm getting tired of reading all their press releases telling us how rubbish something is.

Regarding this latest release, the broadband speed ranking comes from the dubious speedtest based thing which ranked the UK worse than a lot of other reports. CityFibre only prints an average download speed next to the faster than the uk column in their table, then they talk about uploading holiday photos. Then there's the issue about if average home broadband speeds in a country are linked to the speeds a tourist in a holiday resort might get. What are beaches even covered by - wifi or mobile broadband?

But the cause of fighting for the proper definitions is a noble one  that could prompt ISP's to be forced to not adventise FTTC as 'Fibre'.
And if claims management companies want to get in on the compensation for your miss-sold fake fibre FTTC broadband, presumably they'll be nobly helping people to get the compensation they're entitled to.

anything