Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Whitespace Broadband (TVWS)  (Read 4056 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Whitespace Broadband (TVWS)
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 02:05:32 PM »

Hi Mark & James.   Nice to 'see you' again :)

Thanks for the additional input.  I'd been following Mark's posts for a while, but knew little about the technology other than the basics so it's good to have some extra info :) 

I can't think of anyone I'd put above those three! I wonder if they took the GM Maestro with them?

Don't know if you recall Melise too?  She wasn't CS facing (think she was technical/software dev?) so didn't usually get involved in PUG...  but I would bob upstairs to say hi when they moved to Tenter St. She's one clever tech lady who always made time to speak to you, which may perhaps be why I warmed to her. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mark

• Whitespace Technology
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 02:24:38 PM »

Have you been to Skye?

Not yet but we do have a good friend in Carboost and a meeting with the parish council / elders is in the pipline. We've deployments in play in the Trossachs National Park region and in planning for the Cairngorms so we're always up for a challenge and I look forward to looking a bit closer at Skye. I'll be sure to keep you informed when we plan to visit.

@kitz. Yip, Melise is one clever lady with an incredible background. Having worked with her for almost 12 years I've seen her many talents at first hand. Clever, with a fantastic personality to boot. Whats not to like.
Kind regards

Mark Kelly
COO
Whitespace

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2018, 02:59:18 PM »

:-) Autocorrect- the bane of my life!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 11:45:11 PM »

@Mark if I can be if any help at all to you, don't hesitate to get in touch.

By the way, that Norse / Gaelicised then Angliscised placename is spelled Carbost. In Lewis the same name is found at 'Garrabost' at An Rubha, east of Steornabhagh, and that form is a bit more phonetic, more of a help with a guide to the Gaelic pronunciation, not that it is really Gaelic anyway.

(In Gaelic various combinations of adjacent consonants trigger something called svarabhakti or an epenthetic vowel, a vowel which appears and separates the consonants and its quality is a repeat of the vowel before the first consonant. The r+b in Carbost is an example of this rule being triggered so it is pronounced arrab.)

However someone may be pronouncing it totally under the influence of English, mistaking it for an English word, like carboot sale in which the r is not pronounced at all in English English.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:01:00 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 12:04:44 AM »

Actually the Wikipedia article about svarabhakti usefully draws a comparison with the English football yobs’ chant Engerland (something like, no actual r but a schwa; like Sunderland)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything